Back From the Empress

dolfinmusic

Back yesterday from the Empress of the Seas. What a great cruise! This is the smallest ship and she is old but I still loved her! The crew was also great! I have no complaints at all. Sailing out of Philly was great too. There was hardly a wait to get onto the ship and it was a breeze getting off. Bermuda was also wonderful and we had great weather!!! If you have any questions, please ask! I will try and answer. Now back to work tomorrow and it really stinks!!!

What a treat, cruising without the hassle of air travel.

What were your favorite spots in Bermuda? Did you rent mopeds?

Also, did you notice if models of "Empress" were for sale onboard in the gift shop (We cruised her before the stretch and none were offered at that time)?

We head out October 7th on Empress and hope we have the same great weather. Good luck on your return to reality! :)

Hi Philly Steve! The short ride to the pier was great!

We did not rent mopeds in Bermuda. We bought the 3 day bus pass and took the bus to Horseshoe Bay one day. The water is such a pretty color!! We also took the sea ferry to the Dockyard. We did the street fair and then walked a little around Hamilton. We also rode the sea ferry over to the dockyard one night and back - just to take a night ride.

I did not see any models of the Empress and I was in the store a few times. I guess they do not offer them.

Have a wonderful time! :)

What kind of cabin did you have on the empress and which deck? Also what was you opinon of the food on board...Thanks in advance....Spankmy

We had a closet on the 3rd deck :D Also known as a Cat. N - inside cabin. There were 2 of us in the cabin. Thankfully, I packed some hangers (which you might want to do) so I was able to hang my shirts for the daytime too. There were drawers for small things but no drawer space for pants and shorts. We made do though. Our luggage we crammed under the bed.

I am a very picky eater so I had meat every night. For the most part, I enjoyed my dinners each night. One night was prime rib and although I asked for medium rare - my meat was still going "moo". Sorry that I really can't help you out more with the food but my friends seemed to enjoy most of their meals. Hope this helps! :)

Steve, just so you know she hasn't been stretched. They did talk about it a few years back but they didn't do her. But they did add a Portofino's and some other things.

Thanks...that's good to know. No wonder Empress "looked" the same from our earlier pics!

How were the seas getting to/from Bermuda? Read in the Royal Gazette that lifeguards had to make over 40 rescues at Horseshoe Bay last Wednesday... Were the hot tubs on the ship working? They were out of order the entire week prior to your cruise.

Thanks.

The only time we had rough weather was Sat night into Sunday afternoon. There was a good amount of "motion in the ocean" but the rest of the trip was fine. Hot tubs were open everytime I passed by.

Apparently, a passenger from the Zenith drowned at Horseshoe Bay. Very sad.

The only time we had rough weather was Sat night into Sunday afternoon. There was a good amount of "motion in the ocean" but the rest of the trip was fine. Hot tubs were open everytime I passed by.

Apparently, a passenger from the Zenith drowned at Horseshoe Bay. Very sad.

How sad, how did you find out about the drowning. Sometimes the water at Horseshoe Bay can be very rough if you go out far enough. My DH almost met the same fate while we were in Bermuda on a Land Trip, he went out snorkeling with some friends, got into trouble and if someone did not spot him in trouble it would have been over. The person pushed him into some large rock where he clung for awhile. By the time they were able to get him out of water, he was all cut up from the coral and rock because the seas were so rough. How very sad for the family.

Also, did you notice if models of "Empress" were for sale onboard in the gift shop (We cruised her before the stretch and none were offered at that time)?

:)

When we were on the Empress(2003),they did not have any models either..................wonder why they dont make them??

Anyway,I wound up buying one on EBay.....

I was at Horseshoe beach on Tuesday on the Explorer and the water was extremely rough. The lifeguards were kept extremely busy and they kept having to rescue those getting too near the rocks. Unfortunately people kept going out further than what the lifeguards were warning about. They actually came up to each person along the water's edge warning them not to go out too far. It is so sad about the Zenith passenger.

There have been no reports of any drowning deaths in Bermuda last week.

The local newspapers are seldom completely accurate but it is highly unlikely that they would have missed a fatal drowning.

Happy Travels

Cindy

Well, this is what I heard:

A passenger from the Empress had to be airlifted off the ship Friday morning (this I know - saw it) because she had water in her lungs. I heard that she tried to save someone but they drowned and it was a passenger from the Zenith. Of course like I said - it is what I heard.

Sorry - I should have specified that.

We had a closet on the 3rd deck :D Also known as a Cat. N - inside cabin.

So having stayed in an inside - would you recommend an Oceanview - my dh and I are looking to sail on Empress in April 2007 and are deciding if the extra $$ are worth the oceanview. We are not cabindwellers but want sufficient space that we're not on top of each other getting ready for dinner etc...:p

Any other "insider tips"? - fave spots on ship, fave activity or not to be missed shipboard experiences - please share......:cool:

Thanks!

We were on the same cruise and I am suffering from severe PCD. :-(

The Empress is a beauty even though she is small she has a lot of personality. This was our 1st RCCL cruise and it is a wonderful cruise line. I really don't have any complaints. Yes the rooms are tiny and yes it is a small ship so expect some motion, but it is all worth it when the ship is headed to Bermuda. We traveled with a group of 13 (ages 2 to 88) and every one loved the trip. I think everyone on the ship knew the little one as he was the entertainment for the week, but even he didn't want to get off the ship.

The food was good, not great every night, but we managed to eat to our hearts content and gain a couple pounds. Yes the rooms are tiny and the showers are even tinier, but how bad can it be when you are on a cruise ship. We originally had a Cat. N room, but a week before an ocean view guarantee dropped in price - lower than the Cat N, so I was able to switch all the rooms to ocean view. This was really nice as it was nice to see Bermuda in the morning when you woke up. Not as nice on the 1st sea day when waves were crashing into the ship.

RCCL says even though it may be one of the older and smaller ships - the crew is the friendliest. I believe that this is true as we didn't run into one unfriendly crew member. Howard by the pool was always ready to serve us a drink and our wait staff in the Carmen dining room was superb - Sugi, Marlin, and Christian!

If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask!:o :o

Hey Terri, yeah being back sucks.

I'm still out of it.

I asked about the models and they said " RCCL doesn't make one for the Empress because it is so small"

What!! Thats just wrong. I say we protest ;)

When we were on the beach early am on Tuesday for 4 hours there were 5-6 rescued from the beach at horseshoe.

One was someone in my group, luckily he is ok. The under tow was fierce.

They had no flags or signs out warning people.

The lifeguards did a great job they ran from the stand in the back.

There was a lot of beach missing, and the smaller guard chair wasnt there.

The following day the seas were just as bad, we heard at least 46 were saved and one drowned.

That day flags, and signs were everywhere and the lifeguards stayed in the water not allowing anyone past that point.

It was scary out there, like a washing machine/ tsunami all in one with the way the water just pulled back to the sea.

One of the people was later airlifted like Terri mentioned, but also another helicopter was there to pick up a man who had a heart attack.

They were right out side out balcony.

I suggest a JS suite if you can do it. Plenty of room to move around and there is a seating area that was nice to have. Plus you get to sit on the balcony in Bermuda..

Hidden place..

almost no one goes to the left of the rock wall in the back to lay out. nice and quiet

Here is an out of focus shot.. haha from the 26th about 11am

you could only go out maybe 5 feet from the guy in the red shorts

190397981.jpg

and another one

http://pic11.picturetrail.com/VOL377/1003796/1940671/190397993.jpg

Hi Dolfinmusic,

I am not trying to be difficult but I felt the need to stop the report before it became an issue. I do not want fellow Cruisers to think that drowning is something to be overly concerned about in Bermuda. It is not good for our economy.

Yes, people do drown here, but it is not a common occurence. The surf conditions were VERY dangerous last week. Warnings SHOULD have been posted at all the South Shore Beaches. The Lifeguards did a superb job and saved all the people who got into difficulty as far as I know.

I hope you had a wonderful time when you were here and I hope you will be able to return in the future.

Happy Travels

Cindy

So having stayed in an inside - would you recommend an Oceanview - my dh and I are looking to sail on Empress in April 2007 and are deciding if the extra $$ are worth the oceanview. We are not cabindwellers but want sufficient space that we're not on top of each other getting ready for dinner etc...:p

Any other "insider tips"? - fave spots on ship, fave activity or not to be missed shipboard experiences - please share......:cool:

Thanks!

Hmmm - I was fine in an inside cabin. My friends had an oceanview and the only extra room that I saw was between the beds and the bathroom and the desk. Could put your luggage there. Also, if you would like to have a window.

On deck 6 - you can walk to the front of the ship and walk up the stairs and you will have a nice view - there is also another set of stairs that you can walk up for an even better view. My other fave spot was where the pizza was :D

n into one unfriendly crew member. Howard by the pool was always ready to serve us a drink and our wait staff in the Carmen dining room was superb - Sugi, Marlin, and Christian!

If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask!:o :o

I have PCD too! :(

Jonas from the bar staff was great! Our wait staff was Murat and Davor at table 82. Both great! Richard was also come over and show us a few card tricks ;)

Hi Dolfinmusic,

I am not trying to be difficult but I felt the need to stop the report before it became an issue. I do not want fellow Cruisers to think that drowning is something to be overly concerned about in Bermuda. It is not good for our economy.

Yes, people do drown here, but it is not a common occurence. The surf conditions were VERY dangerous last week. Warnings SHOULD have been posted at all the South Shore Beaches. The Lifeguards did a superb job and saved all the people who got into difficulty as far as I know.

I hope you had a wonderful time when you were here and I hope you will be able to return in the future.

Happy Travels

Cindy

No problem. I should have specified that what I heard was exactly that and not a FACT! My mind is still on the ship! ;)

Wow Bermudashorts! Thanks for sharing the pic. It wasn't as rough 2 weeks before your sailing (right before Flo). We had an outside on deck 8. Same sort of thing occured with the motion of the ocean the 1st night/2nd day. After Ernesto cleared, and we had a rainy entry into St. George, the rest of the stay the weather was fabulous. Glad to hear they finally opened up the hot tubs after 6+ weeks of being out of service.

image.jpg

Hi Dolfinmusic,

Happy Travels

Cindy

Actually when we were leaving the beach around 12:30 (tuesday) there was a yellow flag and a sign warning people of the strong rigptide. I don't think it was there when we first arrived but I could be mistaken. I only went in about 10-15 ft from the shore and the ripcurrent was fierce. Unfortunately alot of people seemed to be ignoring the lifeguards warnings. They were talking to people along the water's edge and telling them to stay close by but many were going out and then getting caught by the current and then had to be rescues. BTW I can't wait to visit your beautiful country again. The two days we had there was too short.

Sue

Archived