TA or on your own??

cjnky

I can't believe how few options I have for Alaska cruise next August!! Very little available to choose from - and certainly none of the ones I've learned are the best! Do I need a TA - or can I really do this on my own! :confused:

Do you mean there is no availability on the ship(s) that interests you most? If you want a balcony cabin in a particular location - I wouldn't be surprised if those are sold out. However, I wouldn't think ships are completely sold out this far in advance.

Do you mean there is no availability on the ship(s) that interests you most? If you want a balcony cabin in a particular location - I wouldn't be surprised if those are sold out. However, I wouldn't think ships are completely sold out this far in advance.

Not completely sold out - but what's left are things this board has told me to avoid. (Like only partially covered balconies on the Dolphin Deck of the Sapphire) Do some of these open up later?? I'm leaning toward the Coral, but there sure isn't much open there either! :eek: I've gotten SOOO educated on this board - but still feel completely ignorant!

Not completely sold out - but what's left are things this board has told me to avoid. (Like only partially covered balconies on the Dolphin Deck of the Sapphire) Do some of these open up later?? I'm leaning toward the Coral, but there sure isn't much open there either! :eek: I've gotten SOOO educated on this board - but still feel completely ignorant!

I started thinking about an Alaska cruise last August but found to my dismay that this year was all but sold out (at least the cabins I wanted - like a balcony). So...after reading these Boards for awhile, I decided that if I was going to spend the kind of $ that an Alaskan vacation was going to cost, I would just wait for the next year and get everything exactly the way I wanted - so I booked this April for 2007.

So you have to decide whether there are still rooms you want on a ship with an itinerary you want -- or maybe decide to wait for 2008!

We booked this past summer about six weeks before the ship sailed. People book cruises a year in advance then cancel at the last minute (or when final payment is due). Usually about 90 days before the cruise you will find most levels of cabins become available. Sometimes at a really nice discount, too!:)

Have you considered another cruise line? There are lots of ship going into Alaska. But, you are right that people are booking farther in advance than they have in the past. Contact a good, reputable TA and they will help you locate just what you want. Contrary to popular opinion, you do not save money by going directly to the cruise line. Any TA can get you the same or even better prices.

Travel Agents may have group space for what you are looking for and they can save you money (depending on the agent). Try to find an agent associated with a large company who would have group space for most sailings.

I wouldn't book a cruise with out an agent.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I booked the least expensive inside cabin on the Coral, and we're close to the "secret balcony" on the Baha deck. I know many love mini-suites and balconies - but I just don't care. Are you going to Alaska to see Alaska or to have a partiular cabin? You can get a GREAT cabin on a ship going just about anywhere if you book early enough. If you really want to see Alaska, either make the best of an "inferior" cabin or wait until 2008.

Archived