He's packing jeans!!! Help!!!!

moosetracks17

My boyfriend and I are advid outdoors adventure people. All our closet consist of are LL Bean hiking shorts and tons of jeans. I'm flexible on wearing some nice slacks and tops but :eek: HE IS SET ON WEARING JEANS:eek: and a nice shirt the whole trip!!!

:confused: :mad: :eek:

Being a 1st time cruiser... is it okay to wear a nice pair of jeans during the day and change for dinner later that night? Advice please!!!

We'll be on Vision of the Seas to Alaska on 5-25-2007

My boyfriend and I are advid outdoors adventure people. All our closet consist of are LL Bean hiking shorts and tons of jeans. I'm flexible on wearing some nice slacks and tops but :eek: HE IS SET ON WEARING JEANS:eek: and a nice shirt the whole trip!!!

Being a 1st time cruiser... is it okay to wear a nice pair of jeans during the day and change for dinner later that night? Advice please!!!

jeans are absolutely fine during the day...I wore them almost every day in Alaska, myself. In addition, the particular Princess cruise we went on, both the first and last nights of the cruise had almost everyone wearing jeans at dinner.

Jeans are just fine for the daytime. Since you're going to Alaska, my guess is that most passengers will be wearing them for the daytime excursions.

Cruiselines only request that you refrain from wearing in jeans in the dining room at dinner.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Jane

Depending on what shore excursions you book, you may both want to bring jeans to Alaska.

As to wearing them in the dining room on our last two cruises a couple of our table mates wore them to dinner each night, except formal night. They were wonderful dining companions and the fact that they were wearing jeans was irrelevant. In fact I think there were quite a few people wearing jeans in the dining room on our Alaska cruise. We were also on the Vision of the Seas.

He should be ok on wearing jeans! It is a good idea to take jeans to Alaska. Some cruiselines don't enforce their jean policy when they go to Alaska. On our Alaska trip we stayed a couple of extra hours in each port and that overlapped w/ dinner. May people went in jeans to dinner and no one had a problem with it. That may not happen in your case but I think its ok to wear jeans especially in Alaska.

I have cruised 5 times to Alaska on RCI, X and NCL. Jeans are great for daytime in ports and onboard. I prefer a knit yoga/athletic type pant and dress in layers as the weather is so unpredictable.

I have honestly rarely seen jeans in the dining rooms at dinner; I always have late dining so perhaps it happens more when dining early. I believe it is also cruise line dependent.

We see jeans all the time on every cruise (Royal Caribbean & Princess), even in the evening. For the day, they are fine anywhere on the ship, but he might want some of his hiking clothes in case you're out in bad weather - jeans would get wet, cold & heavy in a hurry.

For the evening, RCI does not prohibit jeans in the dining room, just shorts (and they turn a blind eye to that, too) and (I forget, T-shirts? no matter, they don't care about that, either). In Alaska we saw people at late seating in jeans, but they were in the overwhelming minority. If he doesn't mind being "different" then he should be fine. If you mind him being different, he could be in a world of hurt, though.:D

Sorry, but as long as they are not holey I'd say "He's my kind of man"

If you try to fit him into something he's not comfortable in, like most men,

he'll cry all night. My husband wears jeans & dresses up western & I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! I think he's the most handsome man alive!!! Jeans & all.

Sorry

All of you are wonderful for replying! I have read so many boards on "what to wear" I was worried I wouldnt be able to wear jeans myself- but its a vacation... I want to relax! Alright so jeans are fine but have a change for dinner- I can do that :) And you're right- it is better than a spedo!!!

One other question- Vision of the Seas to Alaska- can you go on land for free when we dock or do you have to pay a fee? Do I HAVE to sign up for a land excursion or can I wander the town for a couple hours?

I can't comment specifically on Alaska, since I haven't done that... but I've never booked a land excursion on any of my cruises and I've gone ashore (no charge) and wandered around in a lot of neat places! Just be careful, don't get lost, and leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship before she sails! :D

One other question- Vision of the Seas to Alaska- can you go on land for free when we dock or do you have to pay a fee? Do I HAVE to sign up for a land excursion or can I wander the town for a couple hours?

There is no fee to get off the ship and you can wander the town as much as you want to, just be sure and get back to the ship on time. You do not have to sign up for any excursions if you do not want to take them.

Stacy,

Jeans are fine during the day especially for Alaska. My husband for supper just packs two pair of nice slacks to change into. He does the buffet on formal night.

Our last cruise was Alaska, I wore the whole cruise just some nice LL Bean canvas slacks. Very durable but also nice looking. I am taking them again to Mexico in November. Shorts are nice but the glare off my white legs is blinding.

It is easy to get nervous reading these boards. I was happy I discovered them after a couple cruises, so I could tell over the top from average.

I am leaving out my formal stuff, I do formal night. But this is just for the average day.

All of you are wonderful for replying! I have read so many boards on "what to wear" I was worried I wouldnt be able to wear jeans myself- but its a vacation... I want to relax! Alright so jeans are fine but have a change for dinner- I can do that :) And you're right- it is better than a spedo!!!

We did Alaska aboard a Norwegian Cruise ship, but I do recommend booking Alaskan shore excursions through your cruiseline. Time in port can be short, and if your excursion is late, the ship might only wait for those who booked through them. If you're late returning from a private tour, you're on your own. Of course, you're free to tour as you wish.

If you go to Skagway, don't miss the White Pass railroad. It's an exciting train ride into the mountains.

Barb

I would not pass up excursions in Alaska. Some are expensive, but worth it. I did my first cruise aboard the Sun Princess in 2005 for our honeymoon. If funds are tight, I would suggest looking at the excursions and picking 1 that normally you wouldn't do that you would like. We did whale watching, glacier flightseeing and dogsledding, ziplining, kayaking, and some town tours (the Alaskan brewery, taku smokehouse, etc) Reasearch using the Alaska Port of Call board and you may seem some great options. Enjoy your cruise, you'll be hooked! We are.

Yes, wear jeans during the day! Consider buying some black jeans for him (and you too)--they blend in really well at night. Pack what is comfortable, not what you think you should be wearing.

Don't feel you have to book an excursion every day, especially if there is a day where none of them appeals to you. In Juneau I believe, didn't book anything, just took some kind of ride to the top, but other than that just wandered around & shopped and it was a great day! There was also one town that had a very interesting trail into the mountain near the ship that you would really enjoy since you are outdoors people; I'll look into which town it was if I can find it.

My cousins did the glacier flightseeing and we did canoeing to a glacier which we all enjoyed.

Archived