Vancouver return?

jspirit

Just starting to think about booking our first Alaska cruise . Isn't it easier booking to and from the same city, in terms of airfare? Can anyone suggest a great cruise that goes return from Vancouver?

If we look at the Carnival Spirit, do we fly home from Alaska, or is there some transportation back to Vancouver?

Pleae help!!!

Thanks!

It is cheaper airfare to do a round trip leaving and returning to the same port. I highly recommend sailing from Vancouver over sailing from Seattle. However, if you do a Northbound or a Southbound trip you will also get to see Anchorage, Whittier or Seward and possibly College Fjord. It is also cheaper airfaire (usually) to fly into Seattle and transfer to Vancouver than it is to fly direct into Vancouver. Of course, how much is your time worth?

Just starting to think about booking our first Alaska cruise . Isn't it easier booking to and from the same city, in terms of airfare? Can anyone suggest a great cruise that goes return from Vancouver?

If we look at the Carnival Spirit, do we fly home from Alaska, or is there some transportation back to Vancouver?

Pleae help!!!

Thanks!

For 2007, Holland America's Zuiderdam (Saturday departure) and Zaandam (Wednesday departure) have a very good roundtrip itinerary from Vancouver: Ketchikan, Tracy Arm Fjord, Juneau, Glacier Bay, and Skagway. If you choose the one-way on Carnival Spirit, the only way to get back to Vancouver other than flying is to cruise back, unless you want to do a REALLY LONG DRIVE through Alaska, the Yukon, and British Columbia! I would suggest pricing airfare into Vancouver (or Seattle) and out of Anchorage (or the reverse) before deciding whether to do a roundtrip or one-way cruise. If you choose the one-way, try to allow a few extra days for seeing some Alaska sights on a land trip.

The best round trip itinerary, in my opinion are HAL sailings out of Vancouver which include Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. Plus HAL has superb ship naturalists and excellent cpts. who go out of their way for passengers- which all lines do not. :)

Although the lines mentioned above cruise out of Vancouver and return to Vancouver, you have to consider other things.

HAL is notably a much older crowd and have seadte and fewer on-board "activities".

Celebrity is comparable. Not sure about Princess and RCCL.

ALthough I have cruised several luxury lines, my choice for Alaska is the Carnival Spirit... I hear they have a wonderful naturalist onboard who points out sights all along the way including wildlife.

Activites are abound on Carnival - however, I hear the on-board stuff is really tame compared to some of the Carnival Carribbean cruises. So don't let the old mindset of Carnival be your deciding factor. I feel you will get more "bang for your bucK".

A lot of thought went into my choice for next September.

Although the lines mentioned above cruise out of Vancouver and return to Vancouver, you have to consider other things.

HAL is notably a much older crowd and have seadte and fewer on-board "activities".

Celebrity is comparable. Not sure about Princess and RCCL.

ALthough I have cruised several luxury lines, my choice for Alaska is the Carnival Spirit... I hear they have a wonderful naturalist onboard who points out sights all along the way including wildlife.

Activites are abound on Carnival - however, I hear the on-board stuff is really tame compared to some of the Carnival Carribbean cruises. So don't let the old mindset of Carnival be your deciding factor. I feel you will get more "bang for your bucK".

A lot of thought went into my choice for next September.

This is not true. All ages sail Alaska, but the majority is middle aged and above ON ALL LINES. HAL is not "older" than others. It doesn't sound like you have sailed there yet??? I've sailed 5 different lines to Alaska including both Carnival and HAL, passengers were similar.

Bottom line, my opinion only, the choice should be based on what's outside the ship- Alaska. So also look at ports, time in ports, route, ship naturalist, price etc. If it doesn't matter- go with your priorities. :)

BQ -

With all due respect, I have gathered most of my information here on these boards by reading posts and looking at photos that have been posted.

Particularly, HAL and Celebrity - It looks like the majority of the passengers (In many photos I saw) are 60 and up. There is nothing wrong with that. I was just trying to be tactful to the OP without asking their ages.

I happen to be late 40's and enjoy all age groups.

The OP was asking about round-trips Vancouver. Although I am not a self-proclaimed Alaska expert by any means (no, I haven't been there yet) I was recently in his same predicament with regard to cruise-planning.

Thank you.

BQ -

With all due respect, I have gathered most of my information here on these boards by reading posts and looking at photos that have been posted.

Particularly, HAL and Celebrity - It looks like the majority of the passengers (In many photos I saw) are 60 and up. There is nothing wrong with that. I was just trying to be tactful to the OP without asking their ages.

I happen to be late 40's and enjoy all age groups.

The OP was asking about round-trips Vancouver. Although I am not a self-proclaimed Alaska expert by any means (no, I haven't been there yet) I was recently in his same predicament with regard to cruise-planning.

Thank you.

I think Budget Queen's point is that Carnival will have the same ages of passengers as HAL in Alaska. The OP mentioned both a roundtrip Vancouver cruise as well as the Carnival Spirit. BQ and I said the best roundtrip itinerary out of Vancouver goes to both Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Bay, and it is available on two HAL ships.

I think Budget Queen's point is that Carnival will have the same ages of passengers as HAL in Alaska. The OP mentioned both a roundtrip Vancouver cruise as well as the Carnival Spirit. BQ and I said the best roundtrip itinerary out of Vancouver goes to both Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Bay, and it is available on two HAL ships.

Hi Nancy - you know you're a Carnival-hater!!!! Maybe BQ is, too!

I'm just kidding - Hey - I'm not looking for a fight - I see so many posters get lambasted when they make any kind of comment that may be "not the norm". Don't want that.

Neither you or I have ever been to Alaska - I just know what works for me in my planning stages. We loved Carnival before and we're looking forward to the Spirit. Frankly, I'm also looking forward to seeing Vancouver, too.

Thanks.

I'm just kidding - Hey - I'm not looking for a fight - I see so many posters get lambasted when they make any kind of comment that may be "not the norm". Don't want that.

Neither you or I have ever been to Alaska - I just know what works for me in my planning stages. We loved Carnival before and we're looking forward to the Spirit. Frankly, I'm also looking forward to seeing Vancouver, too.

Thanks.

BQ likes Carnival in Alaska, and as you know - I haven't been on Carnival yet. BQ recommends that particular roundtrip itinerary on HAL based on her many cruises. I think it's the best roundtrip itinerary for a first-time cruiser based on what I've read. But then, your roundtrip on the Spirit is also a very good itinerary, but it's limited to a few sailings in May and September.

Thanks for the input, everybody!

It is so interesting to read all sides and all opinions, in order to make a good choice.

I am thinking about the Spirit, southbound, since many people on this board have brought up a good point regarding spending some time in Anchorage. It is true that once we have travelled this far, why not see as much as we can!

It seems like I can work things out using my air miles to go to and from a different destination.

So, anyone have any comments on the Spirit? Aft balcony worth it?

Thanks!!!

It is so interesting to read all sides and all opinions, in order to make a good choice.

I am thinking about the Spirit, southbound, since many people on this board have brought up a good point regarding spending some time in Anchorage. It is true that once we have travelled this far, why not see as much as we can!

It seems like I can work things out using my air miles to go to and from a different destination.

Thanks!!!

Here are a couple of threads about the Carnival Spirit:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=410241

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=336850

Thanks!!!

Hey if you go next September 5th - and book an aft balcony - you'll be our neighbor.

We booked the category 11 suite with wrap-around balcony - sounds great! - Especially for Alaska!

Thanks.

For clairfication, I have sailed Carnival 3 times in Alaska and several more to the Caribbean. In Alaska- the BULK of the passengers were over 50 on Carnival, with plenty of "seniors".

For clairfication, I have sailed Carnival 3 times in Alaska and several more to the Caribbean. In Alaska- the BULK of the passengers were over 50 on Carnival, with plenty of "seniors".

I found this true on Royal Caribbean's Alaska cruise.

I (in my 40's) was one of the younger cruisers. This is definately not a "Caribbean" cruise! There were only a handful of cruisers younger than I am.

Archived