Antigua Canopy tour

redkurly

Thanks, Host Star, but was it out in the "open" or do the lines zip under/through trees, foilage, jungle?

the road was a winding mountainous road and one of the platforms was visible from the road andthe zipline went across the ravine through trees and foilage,, to a jungly , heavy foliage area .. it really looked beautiful and take away the road you would think you were in a jungle.. hope this helps :) the road was not commercial in any respect

Thanks again, Host Star. I can't decide which zipline/canopy tour we should do. My dh will just go along w/whatever I choose for us. There is one offered (can only get it through the ship) on our 3/16 Pearl cruise in Dominica, and one (don't know if the ship offers it) in St. Lucia (I need more info. on that one), and this one in Antigua - assuming it has opened or will by then. We stayed in Antigua for a wk. a couple of yrs. ago as well as stopped there on 2cruises, so I wonder if we should do that one as there won't be anything else we are that keen to do there. Antigua didn't seem very "rainforesty" which is what I always picture when I think of zipline/canopy tours, which is why I asked for particulars. On the other hand, some of our fellow roll call posters are doing the one in Dominica, so that beckons as well. Just want to make sure we'll have plenty of time to see a bit more of the island if we do that one. (Any recommendations welcome!)

In answer to questions:

We were able to book independantly only because the ships did not have a contract in place yet for the date we would be in Antigua. If the cruise line you are on has a contract, you will probably not be able to book independantly.

The cost for us was $85 per person including transportation. I would imagine the cruise lines will bump this up to cover profit.

Our trip took about 4 hours including travel (I believe) so it might be difficult to plan 2 activities for the same day unless you get an early start.

The drop at the end is straight down, not angled. It is controlled speed after the first couple of feet and is not a zipline.

The ziplines and challange course are above and through the canopy and most are very high over ravines and creek beds. The challange course is done with the same harness used on the ziplines but with an additional clip which you disconnect and reconnect on each component. There is a line which stays connected throughout the challange course so you have double protection if you fall.

richnorto, if we do the Antigua one, I don't care about not having time for anything else. But if we do the Dominica one, then I do.

How tough were the challenge courses? Can you shed any light on what you had to do on them?

There is a rope "bridge" (one rope above your head and one for your feet to "walk" on over a lagoon area at Xcaret park near Playa del Carmen, Mexico) that I did a couple of years go. No harness, of course, but the ropes were about 10 or 15 ft. above the water & very bouncy, so it was tough to hold on and not lose your footing. Of course, people on the ends often try to bounce you off. Were the challenge courses any types of things like that only w/a harness since there is no water to fall into? That straight down line - is it as fast as a freefall, or controlled a bit better?

Thanks for all your info!

It was fantastic! We were met by Neil right outside our ship (Serenade) and a group from Radiance was also there. He brought us to a taxi van which took us to the Antigua Rainforest site. After some safety info and hooking up of harnesses, we were on our way. The first three lines were rather short so you can build up confidence. I was extremely nervous but after the first line I started to feel more at ease but I was constantly checking that they were hooking me up correctly.

The straight down drop at the end was a little nerve wracking but once you jumped off the platform the pulley supported you and lowered you down gently.

The challenge course was hard! We were exhausted by the end and our muscles were shaking but I'm glad we did it.

Highly recommend it!!

Dear MLBCRUISER,Sorry about not answering sooner, have not been to this site in a couple weeks. We are planning on ziplining while in Antigua, December 2007, Carnival Liberty. I have a group going on the cruise and several want to zipline.If it is offered thru cruise line, then you can not do independent Neil told me ( owner of canopy tour there, I have emailed him several times)

This canopy tour was listed when I first started looking at excursions, but now that we have booked our group through Carnival, and paid our deposit, I do not see it listed, so hopefully closer to the cruise it will be listed once again. If not Neil said it was about 1/2 hour away from the cruiseport. If its anything like Jamaica and Belize canopy tours, then it will be great... My mother in law which is 79 years old went on the one in Belize and had a fantastic time.

I called Carnival a few weeks ago and asked where the Liberty(Dec 2007), would be docking and they told me it was St John's Antigua, so you were correct. Neil, owner of the canopy tour in Antigua said the Parachute drop is 40', but it is a vertical drop (not really a parachute, but a controlled drop.

You can email Neil with questions at arc@candw.ag , he is great about getting back to you fast.

Does anyone know if the canopy tour is available to cruisers on the Carnival Liberty yet? The Carnival website has it listed as a shore excursion but it's not listed yet when you go to book it. My friend has emailed Carnival about this since we are sailing on Feb. 3 and we both really want to do it...and we will book independently if Carnival doesn't offer it!!!

And just to be sure, we've emailed Neil at the Antigua Rainforest too!

We just got back from our cruise and booked this tour directly with Neil. It was a blast and the challenge course was, of course, challenging. It's worth it, though $85pp. Antigua was friendly, the people were great and the jungle is every bit a jungle, as you'd find anywhere. The drop is only about 30 feet, and not scary at all. We did zip lining in Hawaii last year, and in my humble opinion, this blew them away! I hear Costa Rica has even more "wicked" runs...

anteldel and rez4jc, was the drop anything like a freefall feeling or lots tamer because you are controlled? Something like sliding down a fireman's pole is o.k. but I did a freefall parachute thing at Knots Berry Farm where you stand in a cage YEARS ago and HATED it!) Could almost anyone handle the course in your estimation? We are in our 50's and although my husband is pretty fit, I am at least coordinated and was always skilled at sports. Now I have arthritis and am not that cardiovacularly fit. But can do things like snow ski. Your assessment please?

I was very apprehensive about the freefall/straightdown drop at the end. I hate roller coasters for that reason. But, there was no other way down and almost everyone else had already done it. So I told myself I was jumping into a pool and jumped. It was great! There was little to no feeling of a freefall. Almost immediately the pulley system "catches" you and you are gently lowered to the ground.

Anyone can do the zip lines, it is almost relaxing. The challenge course was hard. Three people opted out from the start, one fell midway through (you are still harnessed, he fell off the rope and got a little tangled) and stopped. I thought about not doing it after watching the first two men struggle, but the women (including my 14 year old daughter) fared better.

Coordination, balance and determination are needed as much as strength (I do not consider myself to have much upper body strength) and I finished it (exhausted).

The guides give you pointers on how to handle the various elements and their tricks really do work. On the last element (the hardest one) they do help by supporting your weight as needed and pulling you toward them.

You could always give it a try and stop if you need to. I was really glad I tried, I never expected to finish but I did!

I think everyone except the original 3 who opted out and the man who stopped about 3/4 of the way through did finish.

It was a good feeling of accomplishment.

Go for it! Have fun! Let me know how you do!

anteldel, it does sound fun. Still having trouble deciding which to do - this one or the one in Dominica. But the main thing is I have a slight tear in my L rotator cuff (judging from my self diax via the internet and what others say when I tell them the symptoms). Really need to get a cortisone shot in there or something before the cruise to see if that helps. I think I can handle a fall like the one you describe. But shoulder issues do worry me about the challenge course. Can you describe some of what you have to do and what's involved? I'm sure others will read this who want to know as well.

Thanks again!

I thought the challenge course was hardest on the shoulders.

The first element was walking on 2 individual ropes using a third rope banister high for balance (I also hung onto my harness strap for more balance).

The second was hard on the shoulders because you were walking a single rope while reaching for hanging ropes to get across. So you alternate between holding the rope just with your right hand until you could reach with your left and then just your left until you could reach with your right. Think monkey bars except sideways with ropes while walking on a wiggly rope.

A few of the elements were various suspension bridges which required no upper body strength.

Another one involved two wiggly ropes. One to walk on and one overhead for balance. Their suggestion was to lean into it (so you were almost facing down) to make the ropes taut and slide across.

The last was individual blocks each hanging from a string. You had to use the swinging blocks to "walk" across. This one they did try to help you because it was very hard.

I hope you can picture what I am saying. It is so hard to describe in words.

Your shoulder problem would concern me. My shoulders did ache afterward. Keep in mind that the challenge course is optional and in no way affects your ability to do the ziplines.

I've been reading the info on the Antigua ziplines..we are going on the Jewel on march 4 and they offer this tour...we are 2 couples in our early 40s and early 50s..ziplines sound like fun but I am worried about the challenge courses...what do you do if you can't get across the course?

How do they move you on to the next ones??

Your description of the challenge course was very good..I can almost picture it...and picture me handing there wondering who is going to save me when I am dangling above the creek beds!!LOL

If you opt no to do the challenge course can you still do the free fall?

Can you do the callenge course with a guide?

thanks for your help..

Most of the people who did it were in their 40's and 50's.

I'm 42, my husband is 46.

You still have to do the free fall. This comes before the challenge course. If you opt out you have to do a second free fall out of the tree house (from a shorter distance, maybe 20 feet).

If you fall from the course the guides will either help you back up to continue or help you down.

I don't know if you can skip on to another element because I didn't see a way to climb up and reattach to the harness lines. You are attached twice; once with a continuous feed that "follows" you and one that you must unclip and reclip at each platform.

The challenge course is relatively small, you will be able to see the entire course from the tree house, so there are no surprises along the way. I went next to last so I had plenty of time to watch the others do it and learn what to do (and what not to do).

It would help to wear a sneaker that has a groove on the bottom (like a heel). It's better not to lift your feet from the ropes. If you slide your feet across the ropes it's easier to keep your balance and a heel would keep your foot from slipping off.

You're not that far off the ground during the challenge course (10-20 feet tops) and there are plenty of guides around to help you back up.

It's not that hard but expect to have achy arms and shoulders the next day.

Then it's time to hit the spa for a massage!

We're on the Jewel 3/18-3/25 and my 18 yr old daughter really wants to do this. One big problem is I have a real fear of bridges. Are the suspension bridges part of the regular zipline course or only part of the hallenge course (which I could opt out of)?

Anteldel,

I have kind of a stupid question...what did you wear? We're doing this next month, and I'm not sure if shorts and a tee-shirt are ok to wear, or should I plan on packing some long light-weight nylon pants? Of course, tennis shoes will be a given.

I had to laugh as I wrote this, I feel a little funny asking what to wear. :D

Thanks for all the information, we can't wait, and you gave us a big insight as to what to expect.

Nancy

The bridges were strictly part of the challenge course. You'll have a chance to see them before you decide. They're short and not too high off the ground, maybe 15 feet.

Hi Nancy,

We wore shorts and tee shirts. My shorts were bermuda length but my daughter wore regular shorts and was fine. Light-weight nylon pants would work too.

It really was a lot of fun!

Thanks for the quick reply! I think we'll go with shorts then.

I'm so glad this excursion opened up in time for us to sign up. I was getting a little worried when it was to have opened in November, then didn't. Anyhow, we really are looking forward to it, and especially now, since you have been so helpful as to what we can expect.

Thanks again!!

Nancy

We just got back from our cruise and booked this tour directly with Neil. It was a blast and the challenge course was, of course, challenging. It's worth it, though $85pp. Antigua was friendly, the people were great and the jungle is every bit a jungle, as you'd find anywhere. The drop is only about 30 feet, and not scary at all. We did zip lining in Hawaii last year, and in my humble opinion, this blew them away! I hear Costa Rica has even more "wicked" runs...

Did you do the zipline in Kauai or elsewhere? Just trying to get a feel for whether this is worth it. I loved the Kauai zipline that I did last year offered through NCL.

anteldel, what a GREAT discription of the challenges! Geez, it sounds so fun!

I have actually successfully done what you described below in your post:

Another one involved two wiggly ropes. One to walk on and one overhead for balance. Their suggestion was to lean into it (so you were almost facing down) to make the ropes taut and slide across.

It was a couple of years ago at Xcaret in Mexico. It was like you say - a situation where one needs coordination and determination. (And no friends on the ends making the lower rope "bounce" too much! :rolleyes: ) HOWEVER, my shoulder was not an issue then. I think the toughest one for me now would be the one w/hanging ropes - alternating hands. Only certain movements bother my shoulder. With other types of shoulder use, there is no problem. It's clear I should get it looked at BEFORE signing up for ANY of the ziplines, I'm afraid. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for all the info. on this. I'm sure you and others on this thread have helped many others trying to decide if this is for them.

Thanks so much for the info. I've booked the excursion for my daughter & me on March 21; I hope I'm brave enough to do it!

One interesting thing I found out by contacting the tour directly. If you have a family member who wants to do this and you don't but would like to go watch, you can go to the Shore Excursion Desk on the ship and purchase a transfer only. That way you can go with and watch but not actually participate and not pay for the full cost of the tour.

Archived