Who has collected on travel insurance?

DonSherman

I filed a claim with TravelGuard when I missed a cruise ship sailing out of Tamp due to badly delayed flights. (Now I arrive at least one day early). Due to bad weather all over the the Gulf of Mexico and the islands, I was unable to fly to catch up with the ship.

The cruise line paid for my hotel and meals in Tampa and would have done so for the duration of the cruise, but I chose to fly home after 2 days. My family sailed on without me.

TravelGuard paid for my last minute purchase of airline tickets to get home.

As my husband was on the ship in the stateroom we booked, Holland America charged him the single supplement! We got no refund at all from any company for the cruise.

My husband had no idea where I was. At it was a weekend Holland America's office was closed. On Monday morning I telephoned my office and left a message and he called in and got that message. Finally he was able to telephone me at home which cost a fortune.

We had a loss of about $1200 on the cruise. My husband was worried and miserable. I wasn't pleased.

As my husband was on the ship in the stateroom we booked, Holland America charged him the single supplement! We got no refund at all from any company for the cruise.

First ..sorry you missed your cruise. I try to fly in the day before you never know where bad weather or what other conditions will delay your flights.

I am surprised they charged your DH again as you already paid for double occupancy for the cabin...seems unfair to charge him single supplement on top of that.

Glad you got taken care of and got home safe.

Some of you have heard this before as I have posted it a couple of times over the last year and 9 months..Stu had a major heart attack when we got off the ship in Florida, 2/17/05..was in Broward Heart Hospital in a coma for a month..I always use Access America for travel..The hospital told me he would not survive and to pull the plug..I chose to fly him home to our own doctor..to make a long story short..Access America paid for all ambulances, flight (2 pilots,2 doctors, 1 nurse, Stu,in a coma and I) on a Lear jet..

He was in the coma for 10 weeks and in 3 hospitals..bills for 2 hospitals was 2.5 million dollars, never got a bill for the rehab hospital and I never saw a bill for anything..medicare, Blue Cross and Access America covered it all!! He is fine now and from what I understand a medical miracle..without insurance I dont know what I would have done!!

Jan

After paying (what seemed like a lot of money) for insurance for our first three cruises, we decided to self-insure. We have had seven cruises since then with no need for a claim. So, unless we have many thousands of dollars in expenses on a future trip, we are ahead of the game.

To be fair about it, my wife and I are both in good health, and have Medicare and Tricare-for-Life to cover medical expenses. We also typically book high-end cabins, so the premiums are pretty high.

I wonder: did Shirleya53 pay more for the insurance premium than a new camera would cost?

To be fair about it, my wife and I are both in good health, and have Medicare and Tricare-for-Life to cover medical expenses /quote]

Unfortunately, Medicare will not pay for anything on the ship or on the islands. If you can afford the high end cruises it probably wouldn't put you in financial ruin to pay the $25,000 - $50,000 evacuation fee from the ship.

We aren't in that position, so that's why we wouldn't leave home without it.

Some of you have heard this before as I have posted it a couple of times over the last year and 9 months..Stu had a major heart attack when we got off the ship in Florida, 2/17/05..was in Broward Heart Hospital in a coma for a month..I always use Access America for travel..The hospital told me he would not survive and to pull the plug..I chose to fly him home to our own doctor..to make a long story short..Access America paid for all ambulances, flight (2 pilots,2 doctors, 1 nurse, Stu,in a coma and I) on a Lear jet..

He was in the coma for 10 weeks and in 3 hospitals..bills for 2 hospitals was 2.5 million dollars, never got a bill for the rehab hospital and I never saw a bill for anything..medicare, Blue Cross and Access America covered it all!! He is fine now and from what I understand a medical miracle..without insurance I dont know what I would have done!!

Jan

Wow, count your blessings. You certainly had a lot to be thankful for this holiday season.

Medicare paid because he had his heart attack in the United States.

Medicare did not pay the flight from Florida to LA plus the doctors and nurse on the flight..plus there were a lot of bills from Broward for $110 dont know what they were..but there were lots of themthat I sent to Access America as a supplemental carrier.

Jan

After submitting all our forms to travelguard on October 17th, our check is on the way and it appears to be in the correct amount. We will never book a cruise without insurance. Never did I dream we wouldn't be able to go.

Roylynn

Archived