Who has collected on travel insurance?

DonSherman

While there are a lot of companies listed on insuremytrip, I have not seen reports of who was tried to collect, and how it went. Has anyone collected, and for what part of the coverage- delays, lost luggage, health- especially health. I have a heart condition, and am considering going with Medjetassist, not for their travel insurance, but for their liberal air evac policy as a suppliment to my basic travel insurance- I will be traveling Jan 6 from HK to Singapore on the Nautica and am using Travelex for the basic travel insurance- and likely add Med Jet Assist.

Thanks,

Don

Dear Don,

We had Access Insurance coverage and got stuck in NYC during the 2003 August Blackout. We were 12 hours late arriving in London and missed our private driver for our ride to Dover. We hired a cab driver at much more expense. Access gave us the money back for the transfer WITHOUT any receipts. I guess they had big claims from people who were stuck in the Blackout areas for days.

We also now have coverage on Medjetassist in case of any problems. In fact, my husband took out a three year policy with them. This is in addition to any insurance coverage we take for land or cruise vacations. It would cost a fortune to be evacuated to a hospital back at home if it is needed.

Sheila

While on a Princess cruise and having "Princess Gold" trip insurance my DW fell face first on a marble floor and was knocked out and required several stitches in her chin.She required minor surgery and other misc treatments in the ships hosp. We had to pay the total "up-front" before we disembarked but we eventually were reimbursed 100% from the insurance.

In my book I will "Never Leave Home Without It"

CIAO,

Unfortunately, we had to collect twice from travel insurance companies.

Once was from Access America in 2001 when I cancelled a cruise because my father died that day. I sent a copy of the death certificate and had the refund within a week.

The next was in September, 2004. I had an accident two weeks before a trip and broke my ankle. We used Highway to Health (from insuremytrip.com). They faxed me the paperwork which was filled out by my doctor and sent me a check about two weeks later.

Don: Summer of 2003 my wife was hospitalized for an extended time...had to cancel a Crystal sailing for the autumn time frame because she was not fully recuperated and could not travel. What Crystal didn't refund was covered by Travelguard...no problems at all. All the documentation that they requested was provided to them, and they paid promptly.

These days, we're using Travelex Lite because they are the primary payer whereas most other insurers are secondary payers; i.e., your insurance pays first.I believe that's true even on major medical problems. I'm on Medicare and have no insurance outside of the USA. Don't need the aggrevation of filling out paperwork just to convince of it.I find it easier to use Travelex...and usually they are not that much more.

BTW, we've been using InsureMyTrip for at least 8 years.

Nice to hear that companies come through when it is called for. I will get Medassist, as the alternative is not something I would like to face- low odds to need, but big cost if I do.

I had to cancel a Baltic cruise the day before we were to fly to London because of a foot injury which could have happened to a person of any age. We got a full refund for that cruise with very little trouble. Without that insurance we would have lost $8000. If you can afford to lose the total amount of the cost of your cruise, then don't get travel insurance. I would not be without it!

On our last two cruises, I contracted illnesses shore side which entailed visits to the ship's doctor. This past March, it was pneumonia, requiring numerous IV's and medications over a number of days. The cost was into the thousands, but was well worth it.

In both cases, Berkeleycare (issued through Oceania) covered all costs not paid by my primary insurance. My primary coverage settled within three weeks, and my claim to Berkeleycare was paid within a month.

As they say, "Don't leave home without it!!"

While there are a lot of companies listed on insuremytrip, I have not seen reports of who was tried to collect, and how it went. Has anyone collected, and for what part of the coverage- delays, lost luggage, health- especially health. I have a heart condition, and am considering going with Medjetassist, not for their travel insurance, but for their liberal air evac policy as a suppliment to my basic travel insurance- I will be traveling Jan 6 from HK to Singapore on the Nautica and am using Travelex for the basic travel insurance- and likely add Med Jet Assist.

Thanks,

Don

in Feb. 03 my family of 11 were taking a trip on 2/21 on 2/15 my mother died. I had travel guide my children & grandchildren had Access none of us had trouble collecting with proof of death. Won't leave home without it.

A few years ago, a friend & I had to cancel a Med. cruise on Orient Lines because she had a medical problem. The cruise line's insurance was through Berkley Care. We spent a good bit of time filling out a lot of forms, making copies of travel agents invoices, credit card statements & taking forms to the doctor's office to be filled out. We mailed this huge stack of paperwork to them. About 3 weeks later we did get a full refund (minus the cost of insurance, of course).

According to the latest issue of AARP Bulletin, approximately 30% of Americans taking cruises, tours or international trips buy travel insurance. Prior to Sep 11, 2001, approximately 10% bought the insurance.

As for the odds, 17% of the people buying the insurance file a claim. According to the article, that is fairly high compared with other types of insurance.

We were on the Natuica Baltic cruise and half of the ship had bronchial problems. When I saw the Doctor on ship and received anit-biotics I also received a $300.00 bill. The ship gave me a superbill which I submitted to Travelexe and within three weeks I received a complete refund

Sonia

The first time we had to use Travel Insurance was when I had a stroke in ALaska the day before we were supposed to get on the ship. We used Access and we had a partial recovery, which covered the money we had laid out for the cruise itself but they did not cover any of our living expenses while were in Alaska both in the hospital and afterwards before we were allowed to fly home.

Our second experience was excellent - also with Access. We had to cancel last year's trip (From Athens to Singapore and then from Singapore to Hong Kong) about 3 weeks before we were scheduled to go because of an medical emergency. We received a full refund of all our payments (excpet, of course, the insurance premium). We always carry insurance. Our American Express card has a policy that will pay (up to $50,000 I think) if you have to have a helicopter come and take you off the ship and for a special plane home. We have not had to use it but a friend of ours did when her husband suffered a stroke in Austria and had to come home in a special plane, etc.

The first time we had to use Travel Insurance was when I had a stroke in ALaska the day before we were supposed to get on the ship. We used Access and we had a partial recovery, which covered the money we had laid out for the cruise itself but they did not cover any of our living expenses while were in Alaska both in the hospital and afterwards before we were allowed to fly home.

Our second experience was excellent - also with Access. We had to cancel last year's trip (From Athens to Singapore and then from Singapore to Hong Kong) about 3 weeks before we were scheduled to go because of an medical emergency. We received a full refund of all our payments (excpet, of course, the insurance premium). We always carry insurance. Our American Express card has a policy that will pay (up to $50,000 I think) if you have to have a helicopter come and take you off the ship and for a special plane home. We have not had to use it but a friend of ours did when her husband suffered a stroke in Austria and had to come home in a special plane, etc.

We've had to cancel five cruises due to Medical Emergencies. Two were with Access America, two with Travel Guard, one with a Cruise Line's insurance. Access America is handled pretty much online. Travel Guard is handled via snail mail. Both mailed checks within about two weeks of the completion of the paperwork.

The cancellation handled via the Cruise Line's insurance (I won't name the line) took roughly four months to get resolved.

We also had a medical emergency during a cruise that required the use of the Ship's Doctor. The insurance claim for this was with Access America. The check came within two weeks.

"Don't leave home without it!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We had to claim on Berkley Care in August 2004 due to my husband having heart attack # two, 2 days before we left for an Alaskan Cruise.

After all the paperwork and ect. we got a refund in about three weeks.

This time we have Travelex lite, booked thru insuremytrip.com for our June `07 Hawaii Cruise and land trip, and August `07 Cruise and land trip.

I pray that we do not have to collect on either, but due to my husband`s health and my 85 year old father and me an only child, there is NO WAY I would be without travel insurance.

No one expects to get sick or have an accident, but it happens all the time. If that occurs, it's better to be prepared. For peace of mind, we just factor in the cost of insurance as part of our travel expenses.

A very comprehensive website for comparing policies is http://www.squaremouth.com. Check it out for some good information.

I had a stroke just as I was about to get on a HollandAmerica cruise from Alaska. but after the cruise program had started. cruise featured a land portion first, which was included in the single package) We collected on the insurance issed by Access in Richmond, Va, although it took some time to get everything taken care of. They kept on asking for a doctor's form that I was unable to take the trip when what we could give them was a doctor's statement and admissions evidence to the hospital. Finally, they paid.

A second time, my husband had an emergency operation before we lleft. This time we had a MD certificate and we received our insurance promptly

Took it out for years because I had 2 very elderly parents, and was an only child. Never used it for that reason..but always felt better having it. For the two of us..checked with our health insurance providers (both HMO's) and they would cover health costs during the trip and medical evac....the only reason to buy would be if we COULDN"T GO! This fall I had broken a 2nd toe on the same foot as a year ago and was diagnosed with a corneal condition causing severe eye pain.. asked for and received letters from both physicians..did not go on our long planned trip to China and received full re-imbursement from the insurance company Just be sure, especially if you have a pre-existing condidtion condition, that you insure for the FULL cost of the trip...not just the basic cruise costs but pre-post hotels, airlines etc. I read my policy, cover to cover..when I was ready to FILE...BEST to do it BEFORE you purchase if you can!!! LuAnn

Unfortunately, we will have to use the insurance again. My husband and I treated my in-laws to a Princess cruise this Thanksgiving. I am sitting at home now, instead of on the cruise ship. The day after we departed last week, my father-in-law began bleeding internally. He lost about a third of his blood that day and was kept in the infirmary on IV fluids until the next day, when we docked in Jamaica. He was taken by ambulance two hours to a private hospital in Montego Bay, where he was given transfusions and admitted for three days. They had equipment for endoscopy (looking into the stomach), but the only gastroenterologist in the city was on vacation. Believe it or not, my husband is a gastroenterologist and showed the ER doctor his medical license and business card and they allowed him to do the procedure on his father. To make a long story shorter, the port agent made arrangements for hotel rooms for his wife and my husband and me and flight arrangements, including wheelchairs, to fly everybody home and we returned on Wednesday. (My father-in-law is doing fine and bragging to everybody how his son saved his life).

We have Access America insurance for my in-laws and Travelsafe for my husband and me. we were told by each company to pay the bills and keep the receipts and to send the medical invoices and records and they will pay us back. My husband's and my bills are about $2500, but my in-laws is about $10,000. Pretty good return on an insurance investment.

As an aside, our only trouble was from the banks that issued our credit cards. We had not called them in advance to let them know we would be out of the country, and certainly did not expect to be charging so much in Jamaica. The hospital called the issuer of the Mastercard, but as the airline reservations were all done over the phone, we had some problems getting the OK. Luckily, my AMEX worked. Let your credit card issuers know if you are travelling and take out travel insurance. (Also, it helps if you bring your own doctor.)

About 5 years ago I purchased a cruise as a Christmas present for my son, his wife and 4 children. The week before the cruise a driver pulled in front of his motorcycle and he was thrown over the car.

Needless to say, they were unable to go. I was really glad I had purchased insurance for them and I was able to get a full refund.

Archived