Taking Kids Out of School to Cruise

chelegirly

This is just GREAT!! I homeschool the younger two but the older two are in public school. Nathan's the oldest- in 9th grade and in marching band. He's very responsible and conscientious. They told him that if he misses next Saturday's competition (the DAY our cruise leaves) that he's going to get a ZERO!!! That's so unfair! The band director finally told us to contact the principal and see what he says. I was just thinking they'd let us have the work they'll miss and let them do in while we're gone. He was in tears tonight and said he'd just rather stay home and stay with the grandparents. :( I've emailed the principal so we'll see what he says in response.

What's been your experience with taking kids out of school to cruise?? How have the schools reacted? Thanks so much!!

We have two children, in different schools (with two different spring breaks), and have taken our children out of school a few times to accomodate our family vacation shedules.

First off, I wouldn't at all feel badly! Vacations are wonderful learning experiences for children, not to mention in todays busy scheduled world, it's important to experience some un-structured family time together. It's unfortunate that your holiday plans fall during a competition, but such is life! I would simply explain to your principal (in person if you could) that your holidays had been booked before your knowledge of the competition, and you are looking forward to this time as a family to explore the world and experience some quality family time - (this is as important as any lesson that comes out of a textbook or competition - especially at your son's age ! - it's wonderful that he wants to join you, cause those days are numbered - seize the moment!!!) Furthermore, it's unfortunate that the competition falls on the first day of your child's break.....I don't think that the scheduling of this event is fair to begin with (unless you agreed to being a part of it on this date from the get/go, which I am sure is not the case) I am SURE they will appreciate where you're coming from when you explain it to them in those terms - our principals always have..... If they don't, then take it to the next level ie. superintendant....however, I would think this won't be necessary. The band director was likely just voicing his disappointment and frustration. When you address the principal he will likely be more than understanding. Go away and enjoy this time as a family....it's a wonderful gift to give your chilfen! Children have their whole lives ahead of them to be meeting deadlines, following structure, competing..... It's nice for them to be free of this at this age. Furthermore, make certain your son in no way feels like he's letting anyone down for his absence from the competition. There will be other competitions....and he is/will still be the musician he is!! Have a fabulous vacation!!

okay....I'm done ranting....

Guest rfrenchbaxter

That all sounds really good in print but the real issue is here is,the School Rules! I am a Teacher and I would suggest talking to all of your son's teacher's to find out how they feel about it. Ultimately it will be their decision to allow your child to make up his work or just give him a failing grade for what he misses. I would refer to the school's hand book for the rules.

I always took my son out of school while he was in his elementary years. But High School is a different story. In Indiana if a child misses to many unexcused days they will be turned over to the Probation Officer. The kids are allowed so many excused days only if they have a written excuse from their parents or Doctors. Again, talk to the teachers. I am one to believe that taking the kids out of school for vacation can provide them with more education than what they will receive in school for a short period of time. Just a little insight: I don't know how small or large your community is but please be careful not to get on the wrong side of the Principal, if in a small school they can and possibly will make it hard on your kids! (NEVER get on the wrong side of your child's teacher or Principal) I have experienced this and have seen what some teachers do, and it only makes it hard on the kids!

Besides I can see him giving him a zero for one event but not for the entire semester!

Goodluck!

Rebecca

This is just GREAT!! I homeschool the younger two but the older two are in public school. Nathan's the oldest- in 9th grade and in marching band. He's very responsible and conscientious. They told him that if he misses next Saturday's competition (the DAY our cruise leaves) that he's going to get a ZERO!!! That's so unfair! The band director finally told us to contact the principal and see what he says. I was just thinking they'd let us have the work they'll miss and let them do in while we're gone. He was in tears tonight and said he'd just rather stay home and stay with the grandparents. :( I've emailed the principal so we'll see what he says in response.

What's been your experience with taking kids out of school to cruise?? How have the schools reacted? Thanks so much!!

In the local school system here, that is considered an unexcused absense and teachers are not required to allow the students to make up the work.

As far as the band goes, I can tell you from my experience working very closely with my daughter's hs band, that if his school has a competitive marching band program, it is very important to have everyone at a competition. Her hs band director sent out the schedule during the spring for the following school year. He stressed that anything outside of an emergency was considered unexcused including work. I don't know if marching band is a voluntary in your school but otherwise students get a grade just like any other subject. Part of the grade is participating in competitions and attending practices.

In our system, the vacation can be considered an educational trip if the child completes a project on the vacation that is presented to a class. Our teen (11th grade) must do her project in powerpoint format. Our 9 year old (4th grade) can do her project in any format. Educational trips are an excused absence and the work can then be made up...If I were in a situation in which I wasn't sure of the trip being excused or not, I would first contact the administration of the school to check on this, and if they could not give satisfactory responses, I would go to the school board to check on it...

cruise vacations are an educational experience and I wouldn't want my children to miss it...

--Susan

I have no problems taking my son out of school and if I could not get the teacher or principal to permit the absence, I'd still take him out, and I wouldn't care about the grade.

He is in elementary school and he is a very good student and this probably helps me with justify it, it may be a bit different once he's in high school. Even then, though, if his other grades are exlemplary then I wouldn't fret about one quarter having a "bad mark".

I've never understood the emphasis that some people place on structured school systems. I do appreciate that it can be disruptive for the class/teacher, and because of that I limit absences to a minimium and would prefer my child be absent for 5 days in a row rather than 5 seperate days stretched out over the quarter.

But as far as a child's brain/development/knowledge/emotional ability goes, school is not the be-all, end-all. I am my son's parent and I believe that it is my right to determine what is in his best interest. I let him stay home for school an entire week last year because his dad was on a leave from the army in Iraq. I could have made him go to school, but what was really more important? Refining his arithmetic lessons, or spending that rare time with his dad? When it comes down to it, something could have happened to his father at any time(and still can, now that his father is in Afghanistan) and I would certainly value time spent with his father over time spent doing "Timed tests".

Okay, I'm off on a tangent now, but I really think that it is awful for the school to put a child in this position. Unless the family is irresponsible and the child a very poor student, I can't see how a week of school (at any age) could be more enriching or rewarding than a family vacation.

You don't need to have "perfect attendance" to be successful. I personally skipped 3rd grade and finished my senior year of HS in January instead of in June, and I missed a fair bit of school in between (family vacations) and all that really mattered was that I did well in school when I was there, that I did well on my SATs and that I went to a good college and got a good degree. It did not matter at all that in first grade I missed 20 days of school one quarter, or that I missed 1-2 wks a year for family vacations.

You know, I am going to sound like a real stick-in-the-mud here, but your son committed to the band for the whole year. This competition is important to ALL the kids in the band. If your son doesn't participate, it hurts the other kids who are giving their all and expect your son to do the same.

My parents NEVER let me get out of something that I had committed to, either with full future knowledge or inadvertently by joining a church or school group. I had to make tough choices for my 4 years in high school. And, I had to live with the consequences of my decisions. If it meant missing a long weekend vacation with a friend and their family, or if it meant I had to stay home when my family went somewhere, so be it. I made a committment and I was expected to fufill it. Lessons learned - and some the hard way.

My parents never tried to fix everything for me - they made me see that for every decision I made there were consequences - and I would be the one to pay them - not anyone else.

If it were me, and your son seems to be conscientous, let him stay with the grandparents and participate in the competition. Go without him and maybe he (and you) will have learned a valuable lesson - if you commit to something you should honor that committment.

And I will apologize in advance if my post sounds judgemental - it's just, I've been there and done that - and had my parents tell me I had to honor my committments (even if those committments were VERY inconvenient to me and my family - I made them, therefore they WILL be honored.)

I've never understood the emphasis that some people place on structured school systems. I do appreciate that it can be disruptive for the class/teacher, and because of that I limit absences to a minimium and would prefer my child be absent for 5 days in a row rather than 5 seperate days stretched out over the quarter.

I am actually a second-grade teacher, so I thought I would address part of your statements...there has been a lot of emphasis on school accountability over the past few years...I know all parents in the US have heard of the No Child Left Behind Act...schools are actually given performance labels based on aspects such as test scores and student attendance records...in my system, teachers are expected to "conference" with students who miss school excessively, so that they can be there every day...it really is in the students' best interest to be at school...and giving a child "make-up work" is not really that effective, because there is no way a teacher can go back and reteach every moment of the day(s) a child misses... In my experience, it would be far better for a student to miss 5 single days over the quarter than to miss 5 consecutive days...now, for very bright children, they can miss and come back into the classroom and it seems like they have never missed a thing...but there are many that cannot do this, and this is one of the reasons why there is an emphasis on attendance..((and yes, my own two daughters will miss one week (5 days) of school in order to go on our next cruise, which we consider a once in a lifetime cruise for them--this will be their first one!)):)

But as far as a child's brain/development/knowledge/emotional ability goes, school is not the be-all, end-all. I am my son's parent and I believe that it is my right to determine what is in his best interest. I let him stay home for school an entire week last year because his dad was on a leave from the army in Iraq. I could have made him go to school, but what was really more important? Refining his arithmetic lessons, or spending that rare time with his dad? When it comes down to it, something could have happened to his father at any time(and still can, now that his father is in Afghanistan) and I would certainly value time spent with his father over time spent doing "Timed tests".

You are absolutely correct that school is not the "be-all and end-all" for a child's development...yes, parents have the right to determine what is in their children's best interest...and hopefully what your child missed in school by staying home with dad was way more stimulating than simply doing "timed tests." I live in a community located near a military base and I fully expect the children with military parents (active duty/guard/reserves) to stay home when their parents come home for leave. The parents have always let me know when this will occur and I send minimal amounts of work home with them to do so that they won't miss anything that is very important...and I have also had other families who are not military at all who have taken their children out of school for a full week or even a bit longer to go on a vacation...I do the same thing for them. I had a student whose family went to Japan one year over Thanksgiving break and the week following. What an experience that must have been for them! :)

Okay, I'm off on a tangent now, but I really think that it is awful for the school to put a child in this position. Unless the family is irresponsible and the child a very poor student, I can't see how a week of school (at any age) could be more enriching or rewarding than a family vacation.

The only time that it would be a very negative thing for a child to miss school to go on a family vacation would be during testing week. Taking a vacation during the time of standardized testing is really hard on the kids because when they return to school they must make up the test in a separate room from the other children who have already taken the tests, which causes the tests to be even more stressful. Then the child is missing class instruction/lessons in order to make up the tests...

when I contacted my older daughter's high school to find out how our vacation could be considered an educational trip, the first thing the administrator asked was "It won't be during testing week, will it?" Also, one other thing, in my opinion, the approximately three weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas are probably the best time to take a vacation during the school year.

Have a terrific evening!

--Susan

You know, I am going to sound like a real stick-in-the-mud here, but your son committed to the band for the whole year. This competition is important to ALL the kids in the band. If your son doesn't participate, it hurts the other kids who are giving their all and expect your son to do the same.

My parents NEVER let me get out of something that I had committed to, either with full future knowledge or inadvertently by joining a church or school group. I had to make tough choices for my 4 years in high school. And, I had to live with the consequences of my decisions. If it meant missing a long weekend vacation with a friend and their family, or if it meant I had to stay home when my family went somewhere, so be it. I made a committment and I was expected to fufill it. Lessons learned - and some the hard way.

My parents never tried to fix everything for me - they made me see that for every decision I made there were consequences - and I would be the one to pay them - not anyone else.

If it were me, and your son seems to be conscientous, let him stay with the grandparents and participate in the competition. Go without him and maybe he (and you) will have learned a valuable lesson - if you commit to something you should honor that committment.

And I will apologize in advance if my post sounds judgemental - it's just, I've been there and done that - and had my parents tell me I had to honor my committments (even if those committments were VERY inconvenient to me and my family - I made them, therefore they WILL be honored.)

I say that some life lessons are not to be learned at 14. I also have one son in elementary and one in preschool, I want them with me. My son is missing a little more that a week for a cruise in December with his extended family, with other youngsters missing school. The experience of that is what is important and will be remembered. Missing important milestones with your children is what will be remembered not that he marched somewhere in October. I say responsibility is important and standing up for something is also. Be resonable with the teacher and principal but if this is the only time he misses all year, please tell me the deal. The memories and stories will be important.. and as another poster stated, he/she isn't going to have the time to tell you the time in a year, or worse sooner.

ps... this has nothing to do with the guilt of leaving my young son home with a cousin on our last cruise.... ok maybe something. I have been a sahm for a year-and-a-half and regret the missed time with both children. I know that if I wasn't working a million hours when #2 was a year that he would be gone. And the fact that I left him on his birthday.... We are in MIA for this cruise.

I know that young vs old kids and missing a vacation is different but I also know that in not too many blinks of an eye they will driving off college... I need more smiles together now and at 14.

Are you actually taking your son out of school or is he just missing that Saturday.

And I would like to add that I wouldn't email the principal. Call the principal and set up a face to face meeting or at least a phone conversation.

I take my child out of school (but she is only in the 1st grade) but I intend to continue to pull my child out every year for 5 days to take a family vacation during the school year.

My daughter goes to a private school though, so I pay for the priviledge to control her education.

I understand there is a difference between high school and elementary grades but we my 3rd grade DD misses a week of school every year for a family vacation. She is a good student and never misses school or is even tardy outside of our family vacation. Any homework needs to be done before she has fun - gets done much quicker. :D

If your son volunteered to be the lead trumpet player in playing Taps, then he needs to honor his commitment. However, if he is just one of many playing the same instrument, he should go on a family vacation. The family bonding time and memories is well worth with zero he'll receive.

Set-up a meeting with the principal and/or teacher (no email) and explain the benefits of a family vacation. I'm sure your son is not the first nor the last to miss school for a vacation.

I agree that not all of life's lessons need to be learned by the 9th grade. I turn 40 next year and changed my mind that I want a Mexican Riveria cruise instead of a party - DH said it was okay. :p Actually now I'm thinking of a land based vacation to River Maya instead. :confused:

Let me start by saying I teach 7th grade math.

Honestly, if I was the band director I would be highly annoyed. Unless you have tried to coordinate the position of hundreds of pre-teens, you have no idea how hard it is. Your child not being there might not be a big deal to YOU, but who is going to cover his positions? The entire formation could be off due to one student's absence. It is unfair to expect the other students in the band to re-learn an entire routine for 1 competition, so your child can go on a cruise.

Now, for regular subjects - as a previous poster said, unless it was THE testing week, I bet they will be more forgiving. I have had students disappear for 2+ weeks with no warning. It sucks, but it is part of the job. However, when that child does not do well on their state assessment and the parent is in my face, you can bet that the first thing I refer to is their attendence. Unfortunately, the school environment nowadays is nothing like we went through - accountability (student, teacher, district) is the name of the game.

Just another perspective!!!

I am actually a second-grade teacher, so I thought I would address part of your statements...there has been a lot of emphasis on school accountability over the past few years...I know all parents in the US have heard of the No Child Left Behind Act...schools are actually given performance labels based on aspects such as test scores and student attendance records...in my system, teachers are expected to "conference" with students who miss school excessively, so that they can be there every day...it really is in the students' best interest to be at school...and giving a child "make-up work" is not really that effective, because there is no way a teacher can go back and reteach every moment of the day(s) a child misses... In my experience, it would be far better for a student to miss 5 single days over the quarter than to miss 5 consecutive days...now, for very bright children, they can miss and come back into the classroom and it seems like they have never missed a thing...but there are many that cannot do this, and this is one of the reasons why there is an emphasis on attendance..((and yes, my own two daughters will miss one week (5 days) of school in order to go on our next cruise, which we consider a once in a lifetime cruise for them--this will be their first one!)):)

Have a terrific evening!

--Susan

Thanks for the nice response Susan, I can see your point about having a child out of school 5 different days being better for the child than 5 in a row, and if my child had school difficulties, I would probably agree with you, but my son does really well in school and is above grade level in the things they test "grade level" on :) (math, reading, vocabulary, comprehension), and so I don't worry about him being out of school for a week.

I do feel fortunate that his teacher this year is very understanding and actually encouraging about family vacations. He takes the time to tailor assignments to the activity the family is doing. There isn't "make-up" work, per se, but he does thave the children engage in activities that somewhat cover the bases (vacation journal/scrapbook). He also inquired as to how much time we'd be in the car on the way to the port and is coming up with some activities for my son to do while driving (estimating how many Semi Trucks we'll pass in the next 5 miles, making a graph of different colors of cars passed in a 1 mile stretch, simplified problems r/t gas milage and cost of gas).

Anyway, thanks for your input as a teacher, and thanks for sharing it in a polite manner! Sometimes you get "backlash" on boards like this and it was refreshing to read your difference of opinion on some areas of what I had wrote... presented in a fair and respectful manner!

!~AIL

:) The family forum isn't like the other boards on cruisecritic and very seldom will there be flamers...:) I am just soooo happy everyone loves their children and that is being expressed here. I know I have young ones and that the ballpark will change soon, and it isn't like when 'we' were their age, you know the good old days, but we are a family... for better or worse.... I think that it is true that it takes a village and we all are welcome to our opinions...

ps... my mom is paying for my cruise... I love family!!!!:) :)

Hello Everyone, I just want to put my opinion in as well!!! My son is 7 and in 1st grade, we are leaving for a 9 nt. cruise in 19 days; he will miss a total of 7 days. His school gives 5 days excused absense, and the other 2 are un-excused. HOWEVER it is up to his teacher to decide if he is at a level to go. Now his teacher is GREAT (or 1 he would not be in her class; or in that school for that matter) and she agrees as well, that with the (high) level he is at; it would be nothing but bennificial for him to go on the cruise! ALSO I do agree that once in Middle/High school it may be different, we will see when that time comes. I am not working but I am a housewife, and in college 3/4 time. I will also be out of school for 7 days; as I was last year as well! I got ahead before I left so when I got back I was right where they were! What we will do with our son is get a packet of homework and take it with us for him to do on the airplane and in airports, so when we get back he is up with the rest of them.

I guess in the end it is up to you! I understand people saying they would not do it, but you are their parent and you are the only one that can decide if it is okay or not! I know on our cruise last year there was about 300 children in the Adventure Ocean program! So obviously at least 299 other parents agree!!!!!

I'm in the UK, and things are done a little differently here. For a start I've no idea what 9th grade is (i.e. what age that makes the child) LOL

We took our two our of school last year (aged 9 and 10). However, I discussed it (face to face) with the head teacher 2 years! beforehand to find out when was best from her point of view. It was, as SusanNJay said, at the end of the year. All our kids do then is basically rehearse the nativity Play and sing!!

Our Head commented that my kids would remember their Caribbean Cruise much easier than they'd remember what they did in school on December 2005.

As regard the band thing. Okay, yes it must be very difficult co-ordinating for the competition but there's always the chance of illness. Would the judges penalise a band for a missing space within their ranks? If they do, then I'm sorry, they are taking it all way too seriously and putting too much pressure on children. (in my opinion :))

I'd not hesitate to take my kids out of school again - but I'd first dicuss it with the Head. A lot of the parents at our kids' school suddenly spring the absence a day or two before the event. I think that's a bit rude, especially when they've know for months. However, having said that, if it is the last day of the school term then I've not a problem, as all ours do is play board games.

Hope things get sorted out for the OP's son, without him feeling the pressure. Enjoy your holiday - and hopefully you'll all be going.

ya know, I gotta agree with sailinglisa

Did you not know about this band commitment until just now? Wasn't this on the school/band schedule? Is this some special event that was just scheduled?

Your son is at the age where learning to honor his comitments, even if not convenient, is important. My nephew struggled with this 2 years ago (he was in 9th at the time). I had tickets for Great Adventure or Broadway or some other "special" kinda trip for everyone in the family, but he had a soccer game that day. His parents let him make the decision as to which he would do and he chose the game because he had made that commitment first and he knew others were counting on him. He made the arrangements to stay with another boy on the team so he wouldn't have to worry about transportation. They won the game (he made the winning goals!) and he had a blast! Becuase his parents told him it was his decision, he gained confidence in himself and his abiliy to make choices and to stand by his commitments (all very valuable lessons about himself and shaping the man he will very soon be). Now he knows that he can make those tough choices.

As a business person I can tell you I've had trouble with interns who haven't learned that making a commitment to a job means sometimes missing out on other things. I had 2 in the past 2 summers that I had to let go because every other week it seemed they'd realise that they'd be missing some fun thing and email me at the last minute that they couldn't be at work. Not a good move. When talking to them about this, I realised that they were from a family that didn't worry about going to school or college classes everyday, didn't really need to work moneywise (they did, but not really) and there mother was constantly scheduling out-of-town vacations and things for them that conflicted with their work schedules and then they would blow off work because the mother told them that going on vacation was more important . .

As a business person I can tell you I've had trouble with interns who haven't learned that making a commitment to a job means sometimes missing out on other things. I had 2 in the past 2 summers that I had to let go because every other week it seemed they'd realise that they'd be missing some fun thing and email me at the last minute that they couldn't be at work. Not a good move. When talking to them about this, I realised that they were from a family that didn't worry about going to school or college classes everyday, didn't really need to work moneywise (they did, but not really) and there mother was constantly scheduling out-of-town vacations and things for them that conflicted with their work schedules and then they would blow off work because the mother told them that going on vacation was more important . .

you're 100% right! I've seen it myself and it makes me proud of my children, who like your nephew, honored their commitments, even when it would have been more fun to do otherwise. Before my children signed up for anything, we spoke about the commitment they were making - soccer team means not just Sundays games, but two days a week practice...little league, one game a week, two days of practice...paper route - find a reliable replacement weeks before we go on vacation, teach them your route, tell your customers you will be gone, etc.

I have 3 children who I am also taking out of school for 1 week. I worry about the one in high school much more then the one in elementary, my middle one I home school. However my husband has been overseas for 6 months and it has been extremely hard on them. This was the only week he could get vacation time, so there for I weighed the pros and cons and decided this was better for my family to spend the quality time together away from all the stressers of life, before he has to go back.

Again if my kids were kids that missed alot of days and didnt do there work and got bad grades then it may be a different story. But every child is different, and every situation is different, so I would say do what is best in your situation.

There was a huge thread on this earlier in the year.....lots of pros and cons...

Our family policy has been that ---

1) ;) we check the school schedule a year in advance to try to vacation with minimal days missed, then

2) :p if the kids have A's in all classes AND do their makeup homework before leaving on vacation they can miss a few days, then

3) :eek: at middle school age I let them make their own decision if they want to stay home with grandma or go with the family.

Teachers have been supportive, mainly because the kids do maintain straight A's and also turn in their work before they leave. However, if your student will be returning to the classroom clueless compared to the rest of the class, you are doing him/her a disservice no matter how educational your trip is.

Performance band is another story. The only time my son has opted to stay home has been for a band performance, as he realizes that the outcome depends on the commitment of each player. Remember, the issue is not really "school" but the lessons about responsibility and accountability that you are teaching them for life.

HI, I haven't read all the posts, but I sympathize with you. I am taking 2 kids out of school, 1 is a senior in hs and she si missing 7 days of school (11 day cruise) the other, a freshman is missing 3 school days (goes to a prep school). I am a little nervous about the senior, b/c shes applying to college and they might not like seeing all thoses absentees, but on the flip side her app for college (early decision) is due Nov 15, and we are leaving Nov 19, so maybe they won't see it. She is an honor student in all honor/ap classes, so I told her she will have to take work with her and sit in the library for one hour every day. I will do that with both girls. I understand that it may be a pain, but as I have a son in the Navy, before you know it their gone and you can never have that time back. I haven't told their schools yet, and I am afraid, but oh well they're my children and it'll all work out. Have a haapy trip and worry about the school issues later. I don't know why they can't write a report on the places you visited, thats what I would have them do if I was their teacher, good luck, Cathi

I'm taking our 3 school aged kids out of school in January for 4 school days for our 1st family cruise. I checked first when selecting a departure date that there was no conflict with midterms, etc.

Now that our travel is booked and deposit has been made, I will write the schools and inform them of the scheduled time away and request any home work, assignments or scheduled tests be administered prior.

We travel some each year and it has never been a problem.

I am a high school teacher, a coach, and the parent of a high school band member. I agree with all of those who state that high school students should honor their commitments. I have had players take a weeks vacation during spring break. One year it was my starting shortstop, a senior. When she returned, she had to earn back her spot, which she never did because the freshman that replaced her ended up doing a great job. This player was very upset but knew that she had let down the team by leaving during the season.

As the parent of a high school band geek, I would never put him in the position to have to choose between band and the family. We know in advance that marching band runs from late July until the first week of November. We do not schedule any thing during that time. We are waiting until November for driving school, his Eagle Boy Scout Court of Honor, and other family plans. We schedule his bass guitar lessons and private tuba lessons on the one day of the week the band director does not schedule practices, Wednesday.

I also am taking the kids out of school to cruise this year. I will be missing the same four days as they will. I have to take all four of my personal days. We are missing the last four days before Christmas. I would not do this except my husband cannot travel in the summer because he runs the ice cream store that we own. Taking a high schooler, who has good grades and attendance, out of school is generally not a problem, just don't do it during their "season" no matter if its band or football.

Okay, here's my 2 cents worth...when I was in 10th grade I went into the school musical. After rehearsing twice a week for months on end, my brother and his girlfriend announced they were getting married and asked me to be a bridesmaid...on one of the days of the performance! My drama teacher would not excuse me for one show; I had to be in or out. My future sister-in-law would not accept me being a bridesmaid at the ceremony but missing the reception; I had to be in or out.

Ultimately, I made my own decision. My point here is that my parents respected me enough to let me decide for myself, and that was the memory that I kept from the whole situation. Perhaps your son should have a big say in this decision as well.

Archived