Boston Cruise Port to Salem

Bushido

Visiting Boston this coming October and wanting to visit Salem. Need information on what is the easiest route to do this??? Would love to use the Boston Public Transportation is possible just need guidelines from start to finish. All Red Sox fans help out a Yankees die hard...Thanking you all in advance for your help

If you really want to take the "T", the best way to get to Salem is on the Commuter Rail, but the one to Salem goes from North Station. Getting to North Station from the cruise pier isn't easy, the two best ways to do it are:

1) Silver Line (SL2) from the pier to South Station, Red Line from South Station to Park Street, Green line from Park Street to North Station

2) Walk from Pier to North Station (about 2.5 miles)

The commuter rail schedule varies, weekdays and weekends, This link will take you to where you can see the schedule

Frankly, unless you have a really good reason to go to Salem, I wouldn't recommend it on your only day in Boston. It's a very interesting place, but there's so much else to see that is closer and easier to get to.

Although I'm not from the area I have to agree with Nitemare re Salem. We stopped there our on way to Maine in summer of 2005 and not much there. Nothing really authentic re the witch trials-they were over 400 years ago! and the witch museum we stopped at was really hokey. They do have the House of Seven Gables if you're a Hawthorn fan but really Boston would be much more interesting. Look over tours offered to get an idea of what might interest you, history, museums, etc.-most you can do on your own in Boston. We spent a weekend in Boston and visited the aquarium (travelled with kids), walked the Freedom Trail (Boston Common, Faneuil Hall, Paul Revere House, Old North Church (nice program there), USS Constitution etc. Ate at Cheers. We also spent some time exploring the Beacon Hill area and Cambridge (Harvard University).

Not that I want to rub anything in, but the Fenway Park tour they offer is pretty good, I've taken other Yankee fans there, and it's a good show.

They rarely take you on the field anymore (we did a tour last month, the guide said she had only been on the field 6 times this season), but you do go on the Monster and the press box, and elsewhere. It's a great take for any baseball fan.

• 5 months later...
Visiting Boston this coming October and wanting to visit Salem. Need information on what is the easiest route to do this??? Would love to use the Boston Public Transportation is possible just need guidelines from start to finish. All Red Sox fans help out a Yankees die hard...Thanking you all in advance for your help

salem is a great town- especially in october. take the commuter rail, don't wear any yankee paraphanalia and have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Salem maybe three or four times, and I found it to be a charming town. I usually took the train up (how to get it has already been described), but there are shore excursions that take you right there.

The witch museum has a nice presentation. There are nice shops there, and the very old buildings make for good photography. One place you don't want to miss is the cemetery. The ancient headstones that feature winged skulls are deliciously grisly for photography buffs. The Hawthorne house is interesting, too. People were certainly short back in those days!

If you have an interest in that period, go ahead and go there. But be sure to save time for Boston if you've never been there before. The trolley rides will give you a good tour -- especially if you choose a company that lets you get on and off the trolley at your leisure.

Kathy, queen of the universe

I have taken out of town visitors to Salem a number of times and they have enjoyed it -- we make three stops: The House of the Seven Gables, the Witches Museum, and the Peabody-Essex Museum, which is a gem!!!

Although Salem gets a lot of attention for the witch trials of 1692, it was one of the largest and wealthiest cities in the Americas because of the China Trade, and because it was the alternative port when Boston was shut down during the Revolution. I think the first millionaire in the Colonies was a ship captain from Salem. The Federalist style homes are just elegant. In any event, if you are still keen on going, there is a ferry that runs during the summer. It is a high speed catamaran that gets you to Salem in 45 minutes.

It leaves from Central Wharf in Boston - where the Aquarium is -- if you are a good walker you can walk there from the Black Falcon Cruise terminal in about 15 minutes. For more information, visit http://www.salemferry.com or the Salem Visitors Center website for all the details.

• 1 month later...

While I normally don't like to help Yankee fans out too much I will take pity on you this year being 12.5 games up. Boston is a great town to walk around without having to take a "tour". Just start following the Freedom Trail (follow the red line painted on the side walk) and you will see a lot of Boston.

That is one great thing about Boston, while it is a "Big City", it is small enough where you can walk around it and be able to see a good portion of it.

Salem is an awesome town, but too far to go if you want to be able to see thing and make it back to the ship.

Guest nhrich

Bushleaguer, don't worry, you didn't help a Yankee fan. :D The cruise was last October.

- A Fellow Sox Fan

• 1 year later...

Bushido, I again with the others, Salem is nice but if u are on the Spirit New England / Canada cruise I think your time is best spent in town.

I would suggest the Duck Tour. The cruise line offers one or you can book it on your own then do other stuff then take a cab back.

http://www.bostonducktours.com/

DW and I did the New England / Canada cruise a few years back. Take a cab from the Black Falon to the Prudential Center. Tell the driver you want the Duck Tour at the Pru. The tour is nice you will enjoy. After the tour Copley Square, Trinity Church ( Boylston and Clarerdon)... The Boston Public Garden/ Boston Common is at Boylston and Arlington.

There are cabs always on Boylston St and the Black Falon is not far.

Enjoy the cruise....... Now the Red Sox Fan in me.... I hope ARods enjoys Golfing this Oct....:)

Archived