Has anyone ever bought a Tag Heuer watch on the ship?

I work in downtown NYC, and every morning in Battery Park where tourists catch the Statue of Liberty ferry, I see men selling Rolex watches for $10. I’d buy one, but I don’t want to take advantage of their naivety. icon12.gif

hey, thats where I got a GREAT deal on a Swiss Army watch years ago.......cost was $20........lasted,oh,maybe a week..........haha!

In 2003, I decided to treat myself to a Tag watch. Looked on the internet and all but one place offered a 20% discount - one offered 33% - DID NOT buy it - somthing smelled fishy. Looked in San Juan - 20% on board 20% and shopping guide said Aruba was the best place for a Tag. I think it was Gandelmans. 20% so it seems that the price is governed by TAG. add the 7% tax I would have paid in CT and you get about a 27% discount. 28 3/4 if you are from NYC.

Big difference was selection - Ship had maybe a dozen styles and the shops ashore had dozens as in 2-3 dozen styles.

Ship will guarantee to match price - we saw that happen with a Seiko - guy actually got 2 refunds from the ship and told that if he found a cheaper price within a year they would refund that difference too.

Gandleman's said DO NOT take it to your local jeweler even for a battery replacement - use Pro Time in NJ as they are the only authorized repair agency.

About a year after I bought it - I did some barter work for a Pawn Broker and he gave me a pretty beat up but functioning Tag. Sent to Pro-Time for refurb.

They charged me $375 - which included a leather stap ($80) vs SS which was almost $200, New crown,face,hands,battery and a 1 year warranty.

When I was on Celebrity this year I saw the watch I paid $609 for ( List was about $999 selling for a List of almost $1400 and retail for $999. So the watch appreciated almost $300.

I am still very happy with both and am still on the original battery.

Pro Time was very profesional as well

We're cruising on Voyager on October 21 and wanted to surprise hubby with a Tag watch. I saw RCCL advertises up to 25% off regular prices on the ships and was wondering if it's worth it to wait!

Most of the posters have answered your question already, and I have one purchase experience aboard for a TAG and two here in Texas.

I bought a TAG Formula 1 aboard the Splendour in March. The model has a stainless band and the faces were white, black, red or blue. The blue one caught my eye, and it is now my everyday watch.

The prices aboard were no less than those I had researched via the web, but I did consider the offer RCCL made with the warranty. I have no idea about battery life, but it is one accurate watch, and with mineral glass crystal the only wear at this point is on the clasp.

The prices for the other TAG Link series didn't reflect a real bargain, even with the tax break. I also considered a puchase of near two grand one that I would like to look the certified dealer in person and verify service for the future.

I have a Link 1150 that my favorite. One shortcoming is the 18K bands are plated, and the gold is a little soft. The cost of the band is almost as much as I paid for the Formula 1!

Now, I really like the new WJ1112, and with the stainless and blue face it is one I will research based on other comments.

Rolex's are unbeatable for the cool factor, but I have a college fund for a teenager, so those will wait.

Print out the US prices and be agressive in bargaining!

Parrotthead, did you eat the last mango in Paris? At 48 there's still too much to be done...

• 1 year later...
Hi, I'm a fellow cruise addict and also a professional jeweler. I sold Tag Heuer for 8 years and was trained on product and policy by their company. Between DH and myself we have TAG timepieces that most dealers have never even seen. Some things to keep in mind - TAG, and all the other big name watch companies, set the discount parameters...not the retailer. Yes, there is a certain amount of service that goes along with owning a high-end timepiece. If you own a Mercedes it costs more to service than a Ford - it also breaks down less. As far as water resistance, keep the crown screwed down and the watch will rarely fail you. 200 meters is the stated resistance but does not mean that you can dive 200m with it. It all has to do with pressure. TAG does not charge for their warranty! If the retailer wants to charge you for it - RUN. The warranty is international, 2 years and covers everything except cosmetic damage, unusual wear and tear (destruction) and the sometimes - but not always - the crown. The benefit to buying on the ship is that they turn their inventory really quickly. You're not buying a watch that has been sitting on the shelf for 2 years. We were on Adventure B2B in August and watched the inventory disappear - both weeks. There was no backstock. The second week they only had 2 ladies watches! By the way, I'd love to know where on the ship they were carrying MontBlanc. I didn't see it - I may have left with a new MontBlanc watch! :)

Hope this helps clear up some confusion.

I was wondering - is RCCL an authorized dealer of Tag Heuer? I wanted to get DH one for Christmas but am wondering if I should wait to see if they have it on the ship. However, I also don't want to lose any 'holiday discount' here in the states in case they don't have his model. Also - do you happen to know how long the battery life is normally on a quartz?

I was wondering - is RCCL an authorized dealer of Tag Heuer? I wanted to get DH one for Christmas but am wondering if I should wait to see if they have it on the ship. However, I also don't want to lose any 'holiday discount' here in the states in case they don't have his model. Also - do you happen to know how long the battery life is normally on a quartz?

1. RCCL does not sell Tag watches - the jewelry shop is a concession and they are licensed to sell Tags.

2. I know this to be true - if you buy a Tag or anything for that matter on board and you find it cheaper elsewhere - as long as you can document it - they will give you back the difference for up to a year. I saw it with a Seiko - guy got 2 price reductions on the cruise.

3. Unless things have changed - Tags are price controlled ay 20% discount anywhere you buy it legitimately. If you see it advertised for say 35% - WALK AWAY it is either grey market or worse.

4. When I bought my TAG at Gandlemen's in Aruba - the guy said ALWAYS send it back to PROTIME in NJ even if it is just a battery.

5. IMHO only difference between the ship and on shore jeweler is selection - shore guys have many more styles.

6. The TAG I bought in 2004 - for $600 in Aruba - listed for $995 is low nisting for over $1400 and selling on the ship for $900

I bought a TAG in St Thomas from an authorized dealer, and paid a bit less than what the ship wanted, which was substantially less than retail in the states, and about the same as I would pay a non-authorized dealer. I feel I got a good deal.

I also bought my Tag in St. Thomas at an authorized dealer in June '06. I purchased one of the Link series watches, and I had priced them in the states and felt that they gave me a good deal. I did not price it on the AOS cruise.

John & Shari

You people are paying way to much for a watch, Last time I was in New York I bought a Rolex for $10.00 from some guy on the street, that was the same day I found someone selling a Gucchi purce for $15.00. do I know how to find the deals or what.:D

We're cruising on Voyager on October 21 and wanted to surprise hubby with a Tag watch. I saw RCCL advertises up to 25% off regular prices on the ships and was wondering if it's worth it to wait!

My wife bought me a Tag Aquaracer for 25% off retail or about $1,100. The price was comparable to those in St. Thomas or St. Maarten.

To answer TikiTom, yes, more expensive watches *are* available on board. I saw a nice selection of Omega’s on FoS two weeks ago. The most expensive that I can recall was a Planet Ocean Chronograph for $4,400 (retail is about $5,500). That price was OK, but there are some reputable e-tailers that do sell for less.

My wife bought a Tag Heuer three years ago onboard the Celebrity Summit. I had researched prices here in California and saved about $250 over the exact same model. I would still research before you go. Love the watch though. Garlicruisers.

To answer TikiTom, yes, more expensive watches *are* available on board. I saw a nice selection of Omega’s on FoS two weeks ago. The most expensive that I can recall was a Planet Ocean Chronograph for $4,400 (retail is about $5,500). That price was OK, but there are some reputable e-tailers that do sell for less.

Thought you had to buy from an AD or else the warranty is void......I know its that way with Rolex and Tag(and Im pretty sure Omega is the same way)

We priced Tag aquaracers last week in Orlando.........his and hers were both $1150.........of course,gotta pay tax on top of that..

RCCL is likely not an authorized dealer themselves, but whomever they contract their jewelry services through is. In other words, they are legally selling these timepieces.

What has been said about selection is certainly true - it is limited onboard. Even on the newest and biggest - Liberty - last month, selection was quite limited. Better though for men than women. TAG will not authorize a 'holiday discount' - they don't need to. Discounting is up to the retailers discretion and is generally capped at 20-25%, depending on the retailer. TAG will authorize 20% on most models, but a retailer that owns their inventory may give a little nudge to move a piece - just don't count on it. Either way, you aren't paying tax. Where I live, that's another 7.5%. Consider it part of the discount.

All TAG watches that are under the 2 year warranty DO need to go back to Pro-Time for any service - including, and especially, a cell change. After the 2 year warranty is up, it is not unusual for a high end jeweler - even a TAG retailer - to send the watch to an authorized independent watchmaker for service. Yes, it is still expensive. It also frees up Pro-Time to continue with warranty work and service beyond the norm (i.e.: catastrophic damage beyond the realm of a general skilled watchmaker).

Still expect to spend about $50 for a battery change and pressure-test.

A brand new gents TAG with a quartz movement will generally run between 2-4 years before needing a cell change. Ladies will go 2-3 years (smaller movement, smaller cell).

As PH8 said, you do need to buy through an authorized dealer or there is no warranty through TAG Heuer. They will put that watch in a box and send it back to the retailer that sent it in, claiming that the watch is of 'suspicious origin'. I've seen it happen numerous times. They also consider a watch purchased online as one fitting in that 'suspicious origin' category. It is in your contract as an authorized TAG Heuer retailer that you ARE NOT allowed to sell their product - or even release MSRP - online.

Ok...all that being said...they're awesome watches, as I look down at mine and see that it's time to go make dinner!:eek: :p :D

Hope this helps!:)

My very favorite cruise gift from DH is my Tag Links Chronograph. I am a big watch fan and he figured I would rather have a diamond watch than a diamond ring or earrings, etc. He was right! ;) We cruise in the winter - which is close to Christmas, our anniversary, my birthday and Valentine's day. DH likes to shop once and cover all his bases. :D

When we got the watch last year we priced and "haggled" at every Tag dealer we could find on our Eastern Caribbean route. We were told on board Navigator that the price they were selling the watch for would NOT be found any cheaper anywhere - but they would match a price if we could find it. And sure enough, every single dealer on every island gave us the exact same price as the ship's price - and all let us walk out rather than going any lower. So we ended up buying it on the ship because we figured if we needed to "go back" to the person we bought it from for some reason that dealing with RCI would be easier than getting back to an island dealer.

I have worn the watch every day for 8+ months and still love it. :)

I bought my Tag in Ocho Rios last year. Before we left for he cruise I printed all authorized list on Tag's website. When I got home I registered the watch with Tag no problem at all. The same watch has been on Overstocked for $250 more than I paid fo rit.

Thought you had to buy from an AD or else the warranty is void......I know its that way with Rolex and Tag(and Im pretty sure Omega is the same way)

We priced Tag aquaracers last week in Orlando.........his and hers were both $1150.........of course,gotta pay tax on top of that..

Yes, you generally must buy from an AD to get the manufacturer's warranty. However, there are many reputable discounters that sell new watches with a warranty. Most of them provide their own warranty, or a 3rd party warrant. These are often better than that of the manufacturer (i.e. 2 year instead of 1 or 3 instead of 2). Personally, I would not hesitate to by a good automatic Swiss watch from a reputable non-AD. The likelihood of failure in the first year or two is very, very low, and besides that, in the rare event that the watch does fail *and* the seller’s warranty ends up being no good, then sending it back to an authorized service center for repair is often less than what you save anyhow. For example, Omega only charges about $200 for a complete overhaul on their watches ($300 for chronograph models). So, as long as you saved more than $200 over the lowest negotiated AD price, then you got a good deal.

Archived