Arctic Circle??

cjnky

We did our arctic excursion during the land tour....during our 'extra' day in Anchorage, we flew up to Barrow for the day-tour. It was fantastic and one of the highlights of our whole trip. I'd highly recommend it, as it is such an authentic and unique experience compared to anything else found in the lower part of Alaska. I'd go up again and would love to do an overnight, especially during the northern lights viewing time.

Hi:

We did ours through alaska tours. Please check out the following link and you'll find the info on either the day or overnight trips. There are several vendors who all basically operate the same tour. We were with people from Tauck as well as Tundra tours. The tour included a tour of the area by bus, a great lunch at Pepe's North of the Border Mexican Restaurant (you don't want to miss this), and a cultural presentation (dancing, singing, eskimo blanket toss, and the Inupiat Heritage Center). It was just great. And, if you wish, they give people a chance to become members of the 'polar bear' club by swimming in the arctic ocean. You'll also get certificates for flying over the arctic circle via Alaska airlines. Please know that it is a LONG day. We had to get up by around 3 in the morning to get our early flight, and didn't get back to Anchorage until late in the evening, but I'd do it again tomorrow if I could. Let me know how it all works out for you. I don't think any Alaska trip is quite complete without a visit to the arctic. http://www.alaskatours.com/arctic-tours/barrow.htm

Regards,

three4rd

There are MANY "Arctic Circle" possiblities. Having been to Barrow, my opinion only, I would never consider this a day trip, I like "non tours". :) A great option are the fly/shuttle which give you the benefit of going via road one way, a whole different perspective. These fly to/from Coldfoot and guided shuttle in the other direction. I've gone with http://northernalaska.com/ twice.

But for superb flightseeing scenery- flying to Anaktuvak Pass is the winner, since is it all mountains. I highly recommend considering a cargo flight which can get you to places that the tours do not. Best bonus of all is to have local passengers to strike up conversations with. :) I've gone with Warbelows several times.

Archived