Roaches, Rats or Mice Experiences

Mark

Just curious if anyone has ever been on a cruise ship and encountered roaches, mice or rats. We have seen quite a few postings about bed bug infestations but none on these other unwanted guests?

I for one would not want to pay all that money to go on a cruise and find any of them running around!

I wonder how the cruise lines keep them off the ship?:confused:

Thanks for a laugh; I dont' know where this bit about bugs came from or what line they supposidly were on, but I have cruised over 20 times (lost count) on all mass marketed lines except princess and have yet to see a bug of any kind. I once heard about a dead rat floating in some water on deck or something like that: the person who posted it, had lots of less than acurate comments about lots of things. She was on a mission to damage a line she had a bad experience with. Also heard about a dead dog, floating in the water but not on a ship. I guess you can hear almost anything including the bed bug story (which by the way has come out before) but take this with a grain of salt. If bugs, roaches, etc were availabale to view on the ship most of these lines would not be getting ratings above 90% from CDC. NMnita

We have never seen a sign of any kind of infestation. But then this is only our 8th cruise. However, since we have been on 4 different cruise lines I think if there were a problem we would have seen it by now. Happy cruising! Sue

There are 2 major ways that pests can get onboard a ship:

1) With passengers.

2) Mixed in with cargo.

Every cruise ship sailing in the West is required to qualify for a De-ratting Certificate several times per year. To qualify, a licensed pest control company comes onboard to inspect for any signs of rats or mice. If any are found, the pest control company must guarantee that they are completely exterminated before the ship can receive the De-ratting Certificate. Many countries will not allow a ship to visit if it does not have a current certificate.

Quite often we find strange insects, reptiles, birds, rodents, etc in particular cabins. After some investigation, it usually turns out that the passengers living there brought them aboard (either intentionally or not) in their suitcases or shopping bags. All modern ships have trained pest control teams who immediately treat an infested cabin to make it safe again for the next occupant.

Recently, many cruise lines stopped allowing wooden pallets and cardboard boxes onboard their ships when loading provisions. These items usually make very good homes and hiding places for rodents and insects. Now we usually unpack all food items on the pier, load the contents into plastic or metal containers, and then move them onboard.

There are 2 major ways that pests can get onboard a ship:

1) With passengers.

2) Mixed in with cargo.

Every cruise ship sailing in the West is required to qualify for a De-ratting Certificate several times per year. To qualify, a licensed pest control company comes onboard to inspect for any signs of rats or mice. If any are found, the pest control company must guarantee that they are completely exterminated before the ship can receive the De-ratting Certificate. Many countries will not allow a ship to visit if it does not have a current certificate.

Quite often we find strange insects, reptiles, birds, rodents, etc in particular cabins. After some investigation, it usually turns out that the passengers living there brought them aboard (either intentionally or not) in their suitcases or shopping bags. All modern ships have trained pest control teams who immediately treat an infested cabin to make it safe again for the next occupant.

Recently, many cruise lines stopped allowing wooden pallets and cardboard boxes onboard their ships when loading provisions. These items usually make very good homes and hiding places for rodents and insects. Now we usually unpack all food items on the pier, load the contents into plastic or metal containers, and then move them onboard.

thanks Bruce, this should make anyone who is concerned a little more relaxed. NMnita

I have seen two “news” stories about “bed bugs”. Although they were several months apart, it turned out they were about the same cruise and from the same person.

Both news stories were about the same. As I recall, the most interesting thing was that there were “hundreds” of bed bugs behind a headboard, yet no one else had a problem before or after the claim. And the person had no proof of this claim, photo, dead bug or scab.

URBAN LEGEAND?

We sailed on the Century in April 2005 and there was a roach problem on our balcony. Spoke to our butler about it, and there was an exterminator there within 2 hours spraying everything.

We were one floor down from the buffet, so although it grossed me out, I sort of understood how it could happen. Sure didn't like it though!

I wish I knew where the op read or heard about bed bugs? NMNita

I've never experienced bed bug infestation on any of the cruises I've been on but it is a problem that any hotel/cruise ship must be vigilant in keeping under control. If you type "bed bugs" using this websites search feature you'll come up with a few pages of discussion about them. ;)

[April 2005] Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas. Royal Caribbean apologized to the couple and refunded $2,800 for the tickets. The company declined to reimburse them for medical care or hotel expenses incurred while waiting to get home.

http://www.local6.com/travelgetaways/4365719/detail.html

Bed bugs seek harborage in cracks and crevices. Common harborages in hotel rooms and cruise ship cabins include: folds & creases in bed linens, seams, tufts & under buttons on mattresses, in drapery pleats & hems, beneath loose wallpaper, in headboards, desks, entertainment centers and nightstands, behind base molding in wall-mounted artwork, etc.

Using a flashlight carefully inspect for bed bugs.

http://www.bed-bug.org/

If you plan on traveling to a hotel or Cruise Ship. Upon entry of the room, DO NOT UNPACK YOUR BAGS. Walk over to the beds and slowly remove the covers and sheets. When removing the sheets, start at the head board; look at the seams of the mattress for blood stains and/or Bed Bug activity. Bed Bugs can easily be seen. If you spot live activity, leave the room immediately.

http://www.pestplus.net/bedbug.htm

I've never experienced bed bug infestation on any of the cruises I've been on but it is a problem that any hotel/cruise ship must be vigilant in keeping under control.

[April 2005] Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas. Royal Caribbean apologized to the couple and refunded $2,800 for the tickets. The company declined to reimburse them for medical care or hotel expenses incurred while waiting to get home.

http://www.local6.com/travelgetaways/4365719/detail.html

Bed bugs seek harborage in cracks and crevices. Common harborages in hotel rooms and cruise ship cabins include: folds & creases in bed linens, seams, tufts & under buttons on mattresses, in drapery pleats & hems, beneath loose wallpaper, in headboards, desks, entertainment centers and nightstands, behind base molding in wall-mounted artwork, etc.

Using a flashlight carefully inspect for bed bugs.

http://www.bed-bug.org/

If you plan on traveling to a hotel or Cruise Ship. Upon entry of the room, DO NOT UNPACK YOUR BAGS. Walk over to the beds and slowly remove the covers and sheets. When removing the sheets, start at the head board; look at the seams of the mattress for blood stains and/or Bed Bug activity. Bed Bugs can easily be seen. If you spot live activity, leave the room immediately.

http://www.pestplus.net/bedbug.htm

of course it can happen, but it is very rare and certainly nothing to be concerned about. A rattle snake can get in my house as well: I live in the desert, but have yet to one in over 5 years. When I made the comment I did, I was generalizing. I have heard stories of bed bugs (this was years ago) and found to be untrue. NMNita

The only time we've had something "sneak on" was on our 24 day relocation trip..................four tiny swallows (:confused: ) boarded in Vancouver and rode with us all the way to L.A. At least, we didn't see them after L.A......and we all missed them.

They flew about the pool area, where people exited from the Lido Buffet.

.................and they didn't lack food. We all had a grand time feeding them tiny bits of rolls, etc.:D

They probably ended up the "fat birds" in the winter bird group because they got no exercise flying south and ate the entire time of the cruise.

Hmmmmmmmmm..........................does that sound a bit like the

human cruisers?;)

Archived