Are the jewelry and perfume worth buying on the ship?

Sandi149

Ok....I will take your advice and won't buy any of the jewelry.

Thanks for telling me this.

Sandi :D

If you want the gold by the inch buy it and then I put clear nail polish over the entire thing. The anklet I have which I basically never take off is still in wonderful condition 5 years later.

I can't imagine having to worry about getting a piece of jewelry wet. The main point we were making to the op is don't think it's real gold jewelry. They advertise it as "gold by the inch" but don't advertise that it's not real gold. I wear my real gold anklet all the time in the summer, in the shower, pool, ocean, etc and don't have to worry about it. I think we're just saying don't think you're getting a fabulous deal on gold when you're not even buying gold jewelry, just plated/layered.

As I said earlier, I've seen lots of posts and complaints on the gold by the inch also. Just be aware you're getting what you're paying for. It's not a good deal really.

Just so you know the jewelry in the shops are real, the gold by the inch is also sold their and other places around the ship.

I have bought the real jewelry on the ships, and for instance when I got home I had an appraisal done with a russian gold ring that I purchased for $99.00, it appraises for $1200.

As you can see, it is a wonderful deal. So you can get quality good pieces on the ship, but you need to know what you buying.

:cool:

I bought a pretty tanzanite and diamond ring on the ship and am very happy with it. I had it looked at by a reputable jewelry chain here in MA and was told it was worth about $1,000 more than I paid (full cost but not what they would actually sell it for I'm sure). They felt the quality of the stones were great so I'd buy on the ship again especially because of their 1 yr guarantee. I wasn't happy with how long it took to get sized by their company. They told me it would take about two weeks on the ship and it was really 8 weeks. But it is beautiful and good quality for a reasonable price. Now at least I know that if something needs to be sized I have to be patient if I buy a piece on the ship.

There is a big difference between the jewelry sold in the jewelry store onboard and the "gold by the inch" sold, at least on the Fantasy, out front of the store itself. We looked at the real jewelry sold in the store and it seemed to be a good value.

I bought some Coolwater on my last cruise and I think it was a 2 for 1 deal. I ended up giving them away because I didn't like the way it smelled.
LOL! That's what I wear and I love it! I usually buy it at Sam's or Costco when they have it -- I haven't found it anywhere else cheaper. I'll definitely be on the lookout for it on our cruise.

I bought a "gold by the inch" bracelet with tiny anchors on it several years ago. I got more than my money's worth out of it -- still looks just like it did when I bought it.

I try to think of the items for sale on ship and in port like I do items at Sam's or Costco's. Some things are good deals; some are not. You have to watch what you are buying and know the prices elsewhere and compare. Just like someone else previously said....you have to know your stuff. That said, I've found really good buys on some items on baord and in port, others I pass on!

Archived