Are the jewelry and perfume worth buying on the ship?

Sandi149

Just wondering how the prices are for the jewelry and perfume in the shops on the ship? How are the prices? Is there really a savings?

Thanks,

Sandi

If you are going to buy wait untill the last sea day, for all of the sales

You can get a decent deal on jewelry onboard the ship, but you have to know your stuff. You can spot the good deals only if you have a basis of comparison. If you don't know current pricing, window shop on board, then check out the inventory and pricing in port. If you are lucky, one of your port stops will be Cozumel, St. Thomas, or St. Maarten. You will find much more selection in port. However, on my last cruise, I found something on board that I had been looking for in port and no one had--an inlaid opal ring with blue topaz instead of tanzanite. The ship had a selection of it, but none of the shops I checked in port had my combo! And the ship had a customer satisfaction guarantee. I could return the ring within a year for any reason, even if I got tired of it (I didn't!), unless, of course, I had it sized or altered in any way.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the "gold by the inch" plated gold. You get what you pay for so don't expect much. There are good deals on the real gold jewelry if you wait til the last day or so. From what I understand the deals are better on cruises during less busy times of the year also. You just need to be an informed buyer.

I see in the sample of the Capers that they sell the necklaces for $1 an inch which sounds pretty good. Is it 14K gold or gold plated?

From experience . . . don't waste your money. It reminds me of what my Gram used to tell me . . . "you get what you pay for" . . . and at a dollar an inch . . . I don't think you even what you pay for . . . :o

I see in the sample of the Capers that they sell the necklaces for $1 an inch which sounds pretty good. Is it 14K gold or gold plated?

Gold plated ABSOLUTE CRAP. DON'T BUY IT!! I got taken in on this on my 1st cruise, ,to the tune of @ $160.00. The gold wore off in 30 days. It looks good but walk away, please.

I don't want to disagree with anyone, but my first peice that I bought in 2000 is still in good shape. I don't wear it alot and haven't gotten it wet and it still looks good. Last year I bought a siler anklet, and again don't wear it alot and haven't gotten it wet and it still looks goods. I guess the best advice is to get one and try it, but don't expect fine quality because that is not what you're paying for.

Four years ago I bought an 18" necklace "by the inch." After I heard all kinds of things about it turning green etc. I've never had any problems with it and it's pretty as well as durable with a good clasp. It's only costume jewelry and not really intended to be "gorgeous." My son got one too and never had a problem.

Archived