Venice Airport to cruise terminal, best way?

I tried searching this forum, but can't find what I'm looking for. We are arriving in Venice and heading right to the ship, our ship will be docked overnight in Venice so for once, I'm not worried about arriving the day of the cruise. What is the best way to get from the VCE airport to the cruise terminal, taxi, private shuttle, or Carnival transfers? Can anyone give me an idea of the cost of each? Approximately how far is it? Thanks for your time. :)

After arriving at Marco Polo airport you have a variety of choices to get to your ship. The easiest IMHO is to use your cruise ship transfer. Your luggage will be taken care of and you will be taken to the cruise port by bus. You could also take a land taxi which are available at the airport for about a 20-25 minute ride to the ship. I suspect the cost of these two options would be about equal.

There is also a cheaper way to get from the airport to Venice which is a bus which runs to the Piazza Roma where you would probably then need to get a land taxi for a 5 minute or less ride to the ship. You could walk but I wouldn't recommend it with luggage.

Your most expensive option would be a private water taxi. This option may also have a problem in that some water taxis were not taking people into the port because of an extra license or charge they had to pay to bring passengers there. Because of that they were taking them to the dock near the Piazza Roma and then again a land taxi trip would be required.

There are a number of threads on this topic on this board and you will get a number of opinions.

Have a great next cruise.

I will be doing this in November and have decided to just take a land taxi to the port. I read that it is around 30euro. Not sure how Carnival shuttles are but the first couple of times I cruised and took a shuttle we had to wait too long for other passengers. Also if there is more than 1 person usually a taxi is still cheaper. I was thinking of taking the bus which is only I believe 3euro and but it sounds like it is still another 10-15 minute walk from the bus depot to the port, with luggage too much. I read you can then catch a taxi from the bus dropoff to the port but I think it was around 10-15euro just for that. I figure with all the luggage it is just easier to do the land taxi.

We plan to use the ATVO bus mentioned below, the bus drops you off at the Piazzale Roma which is right next to the cruise port. Hope the info helps.:)

The following is an excerpt from http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_buses.htm

Marco Polo International Airport at Tessera, on the mainland just north of Venice, is a 20-minute road trip from the city's Piazzale Roma. Two different bus routes are available, and both are inexpensive:

ATVO (blue bus)

This bus costs €3,00 and is handy if you're carrying more than one suitcase or backpack, since it has a luggage compartment underneath where the driver will stow your bags. You may also want to take this bus early or late in the day, when local commuters are riding the public bus. The stop is located between the Arrivals terminal and the Departures area. (Caution: Buses for Padova and certain other locations are also blue, so check the signs carefully before boarding!)

You're supposed to buy a ticket from the ATVO booth in the Arrivals terminal. If this booth is closed, proceed directly to the bus and ask the driver for a biglietto. Travel time to the Piazzale Roma is 20 minutes. For more information, see the Marco Polo-Venezia pages at ATVO.it.

The only problem I have heard with the bus is that it is still another 10-15 minute walk to the cruise terminal. I am not sure if you have to go over any bridges either. If you have a lot of luggage that may not be the best option. I had orginally planned to do the bus but decided not to with the amount of luggage we will have. I have been to Venice twice and I did do the bus last time from the airport and it was fast and cheap. But then I did have to walk quite a distance and over a couple of bridges. That was not fun and I only had small luggage.

Now I have heard there is supposed to be a free cruise terminal shuttle from where the buses drop off passengers to the actual terminal. The only problem is I have not heard anyone using this and I am not sure how long you may have to stand and wait for it.

We used the public bus (#5) this last cruise...But in the other direction (We disembarked in Venice) and after a couple extra nights in Venice...

You are correct, it IS about a 15 minute walk (though not a hard one) from Piazzale Roma to the pier...But...our ship had free shuttles between the ship and Piazzale Roma...

The bus ride from P. Roma to the airport was about 30 minutes...and the bus was quite roomy and uncrowded...

That is definitely the cheapest way to go...Especially if your cruise line has a free shuttle between the pier and P. Roma...

Easiest way is a land taxi...because they will take you point-to-point airport to pier...But beware, prices do appear to be "negotiable"--and usually not to your favor...

For those staying a day or more in Venice, that #5 airport bus is also included AT NO ADDITINAL CHARGE with the 24 hour or 72 hour Vaporetti pass--a great way to get around Venice (and Lido and Murano and Burano) by Vaporetti (public bus-boats) with unlimited travel for 24 hours for 12 euro pp or 72 hours for 25 euro pp...

Hi All-

I am arriving in Venice a day before my cruise and have a hotel room booked near Piazzale Roma, within walking distance from the airport shuttle.

I understand the pier (for Princess) is about a 5 minute land taxi ride from the area, but since I am traveling light, I wouldn't mind the walk. Does anyone know, is it an easy, safe route? I have been to many cruise ports, and it seems like miles and miles before arriving at the actual pier.

Is anyone familiar with the route? What do you think?

Thanks,

Jeana

The walk from the Main cruise terminal to the Piazza Roma is about a 15 minute walk. You leave the terminal building and follow the sidewalk and the road up a slight grade to the top where you can see the causeway leading over to the mainland on your left and the road leading down to the Piazza Roma on your right. You then go down a slight grade passing by multiple level parking garages on both sides which leads you into the Piazza Roma.

The problem with walking with luggage is the sidewalk is not very smooth and your rolling luggage is not going roll as smoothly as it does through a smooth airport.

Personally with luggage I would suggest taking a land taxi for the short ride to Piazza Roma and then walk to your hotel from there.

We made the walk in July of 2003 without luggage and both my wife and I said the same thing which we were glad we were not trying to haul luggage with us.

Have a great next cruise.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Alilaguna waterbus service from the airport. The Blue and Red lines are a 6 euro one-way, or 12 euro option with the Venicecard, per person. (24-hour or 72-hour passes for unlimited service) It stops at San Marco. Alilaguna is the only service allowed to operate into the port, and it goes from San Marco to the ship.

There is a new Gold ORO express line from the airport to San Marco to the ship for 25 euro/person (and unlimited service for the other days you are still in port).

There are no luggage limits on Alilaguna, while the vaporetto limits you to 1 bag.

There are numerous postings throughout cruise critic. See the roll call for Celebrity Milennium 10/17/06 Venice to Barcelona. There must be 100 postings discussing the Venice transportation situation.

Also, you must understand that service is different FROM the airport than TO the airport. Also, if you are going to/from hotels for pre or post stays. Most postings warn about the hassle of schlepping your luggage across the bridges, or from Piazale Roma to the ship, or vice versa.

Finally, with what the cruise costs, we, and 2 other couples, decided to use the private water taxi deluxe service, have them handle the luggage, take a leisurely 1 hour "cruise" across the lagoon, and EXPERIENCE arriving in Venice by water coming into the GRAND CANAL from the SE end, in style. And they give you a "guided tour" on the way. 3 couples sharing will cost about 60 euros/couple, which is about the same as the Alilaguna service when you figure it out. And they drop you right at the entrance to your hotel.

Is anyone familiar with the route? What do you think?

Thanks,

Jeana

We walked (with luggage on wheels) from Marittima Pier to the Sofitel (just past P.Roma) - it's about a 15 minute walk, over a bridge. It's safe, but you are on a sidewalk with a fair bit of traffic on the road beside you.

http://www.vtp.it/pages/navi/mappaCrociere.jsp This map shows the location of the pier & P. Roma - it looks like you should be able to cut directly across from P. Roma to the left to get to the pier, however, there is a railway line blocking the way. As I recall, we took the road (the one where the two "ZZ" are in Piazzale on the map), up towards the road with the black line, then left over the bridge to the pier.

You can also check which berth your ship will be in by going to "ship schedule" on this site.

It's such a short cab ride that I think next time, I would probably go that way - or use one of the public buses from P. Roma to the pier.

Thanks Wwinfl91 and Susan-M!

I also checked out that link to the Venice cruise terminal and in the tab "Directions to Cruise Terminals" I read that there are free shuttle buses for tourists on Fri, Sat and Sun. Could it really be???

I'll give it a shot from Piazzale Roma; if I don't see the bus, I'll take a taxi.

Thanks so much, and Happy travels,

Jeana :)

The issue with the water bus is that you will first have to get to the area where the waterbus is at the airport which is about a 10 minute walk from the terminal. Then the ride just to San Marco I believe is at least 60-70 minutes and then you have to change boats (and wait for next boat) to connect to the port. The ride by land taxi to the port is about 20 minutes, much faster and much less aggravation if you ask me.

The issue with the water bus is that you will first have to get to the area where the waterbus is at the airport which is about a 10 minute walk from the terminal. Then the ride just to San Marco I believe is at least 60-70 minutes and then you have to change boats (and wait for next boat) to connect to the port. The ride by land taxi to the port is about 20 minutes, much faster and much less aggravation if you ask me.

Thanks, that helps me make my decision. :)

• 3 months later...
I also checked out that link to the Venice cruise terminal and in the tab "Directions to Cruise Terminals" I read that there are free shuttle buses for tourists on Fri, Sat and Sun. Could it really be???

Jeana - our ship leaves on a Saturday - is there any truth about the free shuttle busses between Piazzale Roma and the port at the weekends?

Glama,

I've flown previously into Marco Polo and then taken the Aliguna boat into Venice, and shall be doing so again next month as I've booked a short holiday in Venice. I've not yet gone on to the cruise terminal (though I will be doing the trip in reverse next May when my cruise ends in Venice).

Coming into Venice by boat is a great experience and should be considered part of the trip, whether you do it by water taxi or Aliguna boat. Time permitting, I would highly recommend it, and if necessary you can take a water taxi from San Marco to the cruise terminal.

Paul S

• 4 weeks later...

Archived