Panama and Costa Rica Questions

johnb24

On our Panama Canal trip in November we will be stopping at Fuerte Amador, Panama from 6-10 pm and Puntarenas, Cost Rica from 7am-7pm. What is there to do on each stop? Can we go into Panama City from Fuerte Amador? Can we go to a resort for the day in Puntarenas?

On our Panama Canal trip in November we will be stopping Cost Rica from 7am-7pm. What is there to do Can we go to a resort for the day in Puntarenas?

In CR, we did the white water rafting. An absolute blast.:)

When we did the canal on Infinity we stayed on board while in Panama. It rained the entire time and friends who went ashore said it was beyond boring.Besides you have to tender in so there is that hassle. We were exhausted anyway having been up since 5:30 am to see the canal crossing. I would guess 75% of the ship was on the deck at 6:00 when we started through.

In CR, we did the Flora/Fauna gondola ride. What a waste! We saw tons of flora and a moth. A moth. That was the only fauna on a tour that promised lots of fauna.

We had friends who did the shore ex River Cruise and loved it. Saw monkeys, crocs, etc.

We can say that the best shore ex ever was the Shotover Jet Boats in Acapulco. Like being on a 30 minute e-ticket ride.

On our Panama Canal trip in November we will be stopping at Fuerte Amador, Panama from 6-10 pm and Puntarenas, Cost Rica from 7am-7pm. What is there to do on each stop? Can we go into Panama City from Fuerte Amador? Can we go to a resort for the day in Puntarenas?

I believe Almonds and Corals is on the Caribbean coast near Limon. It would be too far for you to reach that one easily. At Puntarenas this one is much closer and is really as much fun as you can handle in one day. We did not have to pay until we arrived at the hotel.

I suggest this one, as 11 of us on Summit did it in December 2005, and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. It is only about 30 minutes from the pier and they will pick you up and bring you back ($10 charge total). The horseback ride is about 1 hour from the Hotel Vista Golfa to the first zipline. You can probably do it without the horseback ride, but it is worth the little extra charge. There are 25 ziplines and 2 rappels over 11 waterfalls. Hotel Vista Golfa is a resort with many other activities to chose from also.

Check it out here: http://finca-daniel.com/costa-rica-activities/11-waterfalls-canopy.htm

We spent the day in Costa Rica on the white water rafting excursion and had a very nice time. Afterwards we had a drink right off the Pier and watched people and then did a little shopping at the market there. It had wonderful prices for little things to bring home.

We love Panama and have been there a few times. If it is availabe the exursion that takes you on the lake and to the Indian Village is wonderful. Have fun!

Just came back from both places. We did a non-ship excursion in Punteranas. It was an all day catamaran ride on the Calypso Cruises. Cab ride was $5 to the pier about 10 blocks or so from where the ship docks. A 1st class day. They take you to the Isle of Tortuga where they bring all their dishes, linens, etc. cook you a meal with wine, tablecloths and real dishes and provide hammocks, and beach things. The ride was great and the treatment was 1st class. I believe the web site is www.calypsocruises.com. 800# will have you speaking to a great person. I asked why they didn't have an arrangement with the cruise ships and they wished they had more business with them. We returned about 4:30 and had plenty of time before the ship left (although it poured down rain for about an hour or so). Not much there in the town to see, would suggest a tour of some sort. CR is a beautiful and varied country. Last year did the river tour and was nice. White water rafting is alway exciting and zipping through the rain forest is not for the faint of heart. La Paz waterfalls are beautiful (a lot of steps (stairs)) and Tabacon hot water springs is like swimming in skin-so-soft. If you can't tell, I'm partial to CR.

Last year we did the town tour in Panama. We saw the city at night and had limited stops. This year we tendered off the ship in Gaton Lake and took the Locks and Portebelo tour. Was interesting and glad we did it, but would try something else next time. Rained all day we went through the locks. Hope this was useful.

We did the canal on Serenade of the Seas last year. We did the night tour of old Panama City. Very interesting, but not something you would want to do on your own. In Costa Rica we did the rain forest walk where you cross the suspension bridges that are up in the forest canopy. We were fortunate and saw a lot of birds and animals.

• 1 month later...
Just came back from both places. We did a non-ship excursion in Punteranas. It was an all day catamaran ride on the Calypso Cruises. Cab ride was $5 to the pier about 10 blocks or so from where the ship docks. A 1st class day. They take you to the Isle of Tortuga where they bring all their dishes, linens, etc. cook you a meal with wine, tablecloths and real dishes and provide hammocks, and beach things. The ride was great and the treatment was 1st class. I believe the web site is www.calypsocruises.com. 800# will have you speaking to a great person. I asked why they didn't have an arrangement with the cruise ships and they wished they had more business with them. We returned about 4:30 and had plenty of time before the ship left (although it poured down rain for about an hour or so). Not much there in the town to see, would suggest a tour of some sort. CR is a beautiful and varied country. Last year did the river tour and was nice. White water rafting is alway exciting and zipping through the rain forest is not for the faint of heart. La Paz waterfalls are beautiful (a lot of steps (stairs)) and Tabacon hot water springs is like swimming in skin-so-soft. If you can't tell, I'm partial to CR.

Last year we did the town tour in Panama. We saw the city at night and had limited stops. This year we tendered off the ship in Gaton Lake and took the Locks and Portebelo tour. Was interesting and glad we did it, but would try something else next time. Rained all day we went through the locks. Hope this was useful.

I am looking for an opinion of the town tour in Panama - sounds like you were there as we are, from 6pm - 10pm. Normally not cruise excursion takers but since there is so little time and having to be tendered thought this might work. My question is - Is it worthwhile - can you really see much at night - where do they let you get off the bus? Or do could we get a cab at the dock and do exactly the same thing?

We are thinking of a zipline near Puntarenas, arranging for our own driver - do you think we will be OK if I leave it til we dock - any opinion of which zip is best? Am going to look into your "cat" as well.

Any suggestions for these two ports would be really appreciated - there are four of us which makes a cab/van more affordable. We aren't very keen on large numbers in a van or bus.

I am looking for an opinion of the town tour in Panama - sounds like you were there as we are, from 6pm - 10pm. Normally not cruise excursion takers but since there is so little time and having to be tendered thought this might work. My question is - Is it worthwhile - can you really see much at night - where do they let you get off the bus? Or do could we get a cab at the dock and do exactly the same thing?

With so little time I recommend going on a tour from Celebrity vs. on your own. We were on a Eastbound transit so didn't stop in Fuerte Amador. From what I've read it's MUCH nicer than Colon or Cristobal pier. See my post on Panama Canal board for my trip report.

We are thinking of a zipline near Puntarenas, arranging for our own driver - do you think we will be OK if I leave it til we dock - any opinion of which zip is best?

Any suggestions for these two ports would be really appreciated - there are four of us which makes a cab/van more affordable. We aren't very keen on large numbers in a van or bus.

We also like independent tours - size and flexibility. Re: Puntareneas if it's your first time there I would go for an overview tour which includes zipline rather than spending most of your time ziplining.

Here are the related posts that may help you.

Panama Canal crossing and excursion photo trip report + tidbits

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=438428

Puntarenas

Tour Planning with Charlie Soto

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=255952

A day in Puntarenas - an online photo trip report

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=431686

Archived