Dollars to Euros onboard ship

SandyR5

You can get Euros at the Guest Services desk on board but I'd recommend either getting some from your bank before leaving home or planning on hitting the ATM when you are in ports. We just came back from a business trip in Italy and there are ATMs everywhere. You can also use your credit cards in many places (almost all took Visa, MasterCard and American Express).

ENJOY!

Thanks Host Anne - We always use ATM's when abroad, but we're going on many ship excursions where we won't be strolling around the city to be able to get to an ATM. We do have 2 private excursions towards the end of the trip that we will need to pay in Euros. I just want to cover all our bases. :)

Hi - What's the deal changing your dollars into Euros onboard? Where/When/Rate/etc. We plan on hitting the ATM at the Venice airport as we begin our trip, but that won't last that long. :) Thanks

get them from your bank at home. We got about 400 dollars worth before we went to Venice.. they take cc everywhere ... better for you to do that ... Amex not liked in Europe so be sure you have Master or Visa card.

The ships exchange is not always favorable. Many places actually took dollars too.....

If you are getting euros at home, I would check your local bank before purchasing them from AAA. When I was looking into it last year, AAA's pre-packaged sets of euros were priced very high. My own bank got them for me at a fair exchange rate without additional fees. (Check this site for current exchange rates. http://www.xe.com/ucc/) Don't leave it for the last minute, however, as the bank may need up to a week's notice to obtain euros for you.

As for exchanging on the ship, it's handy, and the rate we encountered on the Galaxy last summer was a little high, but not horrible. It's an option if, for example, you will be on a ship-sponsored tour where you might not have the opportunity to go looking for an ATM. We used it once at the end of the cruise when we needed a bit more cash for the last day. But do check the times that the onboard "bank" is open. On our cruise, the hours were very limited.

Have a great trip.

When buying Euros travelers cheques you normally get a fairly poor exchange rate. They also are glad to have the float until you cash them. go look at Ricksteves.com and see what he suggests. Any airport in Europe will have ATM's readily available(get your Euros there). All banks etc charge a fee(it may be hidden in the exchange rate)... If you feel you MUST have Euros in your pocket before you land chose the lowest amount you feel comfortable with. The airport Kiosks that exchange have some of the worst exchange rates and highest fees(how do you think they can pay for the space at the airport)...

We live "dangerously" and leave the U.S. with no Euros. We have never had a problem getting Euros at the airports. There are many real banks (not kiosks or change places) and ATMs around most airports.

We now travel a lot and now save our leftover currency for the next time.

Oct. of 2005, we purchased some Euros from our Bank, and were hit with a delivery charge as well as a poor exchange rate. On board, Galaxy we exhanged US$ for Euros at the vessel's bank, and again got a very poor exchange rate.

The only true exchange rates that we obtained were at ATMs in Italy and France, and through the use of my Visa card.

When we got home, we had extra Euros and took them to our bank to be exchanged, and the exchange rate per Euro was over twenty cents less than what they originally charged us.

In our opinion the use of ATMs and credit cards are the only way to go.

Hi - What's the deal changing your dollars into Euros onboard? Where/When/Rate/etc. We plan on hitting the ATM at the Venice airport as we begin our trip, but that won't last that long. :) Thanks

I never use the onboard machines. Too expensive. ATMs are the way to go for us. My credit union gives me the going rate with a 1% fee. The money changers have a 20% difference in the buy and sell rates... they are the worse.

We did exchange a small amount a hotel, but that was to get bus fare to get downtown to the ATM. Any extra I bring home for the next trip. Our trip this summer I took euros and pounds and used them both. No sense getting clipped buying initially / selling before leaving / and then buying when I come back. :D Even made out a little on the rate changes holding 100 pounds and 200 euros for the year.

Archived