Leaning Tower of Pisa

IMHO I feel a visit to Pisa to see the "Field of Miracles" which is where the Leaning Tower is just one of the major mounuments that are available to see. There is a large Bascilica and Batristry similar in size and decorations to the ones in Florence.

We did a private tour that included both a stop in Pisa as well as a longer stay in Florence and plan on revisiting Pisa someday in the future.

Have a great next cruise.

Hi,

The Leaning Tower is so impressive, and so close to Livorno (on your way to Florence) that I would highly recommend it. Make reservations at the Museums in Florence to cut down on the wait. Call 011 39 055 294883 for Uffizi and Accademia. We hired a private driver and got right in to see David with our reservations and his contacts!!

If you change your mind about climbing the tower, buy your tickets ahead of time http://www.opapisa.it/boxoffice/ The view on the top is incredible and the almost 300 steps quite a good work out!!

Crusana

Oh my.....IMO, you should DEFINETLY at least SEE the Leaning Tower of Pisa. And let me tell ya.....it really does LEAN! Much more than I ever imagined. And if you have the time, I would climb it too. The view is incredible, and the sensation of climbing a tower that is leaning, is very unique. It was one of the highlights of our trip actually. I hope someday that I am able to get back to Pisa. It is just amazing to actually be in the presence of something that you have only seen in pictures.

When we went two years ago to Livorno, my husband wanted to go to Pisa. I was not enthused. I am so glad that we did! The Field of Miracles is a beautiful place and the structures (tower, duomo, baptistry,and monumental cemetery) rival the beauty of any in Italy. Your visit at Pisa doesn't need to be long to take it all in. You will also just fall in love with Florence (try and go to the Piazzale Michelangelo first so you can get a beautiful overview of Florence). Magical.

I was just in Pisa and Florence this past summer. I actually climbed the Leaning Tower and felt it was a great experience to actually be able to feel the "lean" as you climb up.

I agree with the other posters. If you have a private tour, you should at least make a short stop in Pisa to see the Piazza dei Miracoli.

But if it is a choice between one or the other, I would choose Florence as there is much more to see and do there.

Maybe it was just the mood I was in on the relevant day, but I didn't much enjoy my visit to the Campo dei Miracoli last June. We walked though Pisa from the station to it, and that was enjoyable enough, in fact I would have enjoyed exloring Pisa more. But the 'Campo' itself was so busy, it was very difficult to get a feel for the real splendour of the buildings.

As I said, it was probably me. Also it was on a weekend therefore especially busy, and I was probably also feeling 'end-of-cruiseish' - that was our last day on board. So pick your time carefully.

We visited Florence last month using a private tour guide we were able to swing by Pisa for about 45 minutes on the way back to Livorno, and I am so glad that we did that! We arrived about 4:30pm on a beautiful, sunny day and the tower and adjacent buildings just sparkled in the late afternoon sun. Our brief visit to Pisa was worth the time IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

You can get on the internet and see literally thousands of pictures of the Leaning Tower and the rest of the buildings of the "Field of Miracles." But you never get that spine-tingling feeling that you get when you actually see it in person. I was also a little put-off about going to see it because it was the only sight there but I am certainly glad I went. There is nothing like walking around the building, seeing it lean from different perspectives. And the souvenir stands along the walkway are not to be missed - busy and colorful.

We did the FLorence Pisa ship tour when we were there last year. For us it was well worth it to stop briefly in Pisa to see the leaning tower. While we did not climb the tower, it was very impressive to stand in it's presence as well as the other beautiful buildings in the field.

I thought the leaning tower was pretty cool. The train ride and walk through Pisa was interesting, and the whole Field of Miracles was great.

Wouldn't climb that tower for nuthin', though. Amazing it's stayed up so long.

Climbing to Tower was one of those must-dos for us. We got to the Tower about 8:45 and bought tickets for the 9am climb. You really feel the lean as you climb.

Also--I'm sort of foggy on the details, friends of ours took a tour of the bapistry and there is an echo inside that produces harmonies. Apparently only certain guides are allowed to make the building sing.

we did this a few years ago...took the train to Florence on our own....did not try the line up for David or the Ufizi...had been there before....stopped at Pisa on the way back...an Italian on the train told us it was a 5 minute walk from the train...it was a lot longer...we literally had to run to catch the last train tha would be on time back to the ship...so, if you really want to see both including David I would go for a ship tour....

Boy, Captain Canuck, that Italian man on the train must be a fast walker!! We walked from the train station, also, and it was a good 15 - 20 minutes. Not strenuous, but you do need to allow the commute time to synch up with the train schedule.

We were actually trying to go to Lucca, but I misread the train schedule while planning our day, and it ran only on Sundays. So, we walked to the Leaning Tower instead.

The 5 minute walk from the train station that the Italian man was talking about was probably in reference to the Pisa San Rossore station not Pisa Centrale. We had looked into taking the train from Centrale to San Rossore to save on the long walk. The problem was that the train between those two stations only came by about once every two hours. Rather than wait, we just walked the half hour or so to the Leaning Tower.

Choosing the Tower over Florence is like opting to observe a freak show

rather than feasting your eyes on some of the most fantastic art objects the world has ever known. Take a look at the Tower as you drive past it on the way to Florence.

Climbing to Tower was one of those must-dos for us. We got to the Tower about 8:45 and bought tickets for the 9am climb. You really feel the lean as you climb.

Also--I'm sort of foggy on the details, friends of ours took a tour of the bapistry and there is an echo inside that produces harmonies. Apparently only certain guides are allowed to make the building sing.

I'm so glad you mentioned the baptistry. When I was in Italy a few years ago, we took a side trip to Pisa for the afternoon. I also felt seeing the tower was a "must-see." However what I remember most from that day, actually the whole trip, was the little old man who sold us a ticket to the baptistry, then led us inside where he demonstrated the echo effect by singing out various notes, and having the reverb bounce back to us sounding like a chorus of beautiful voices. So hard to describe, but actually moved a lot of people to tears. The entire crowd was just awe-struck and silent afterward. Heading back to Italy in September, and looking forward to doing this again more than anything else.

As far as the previous poster's "freak show" comparison, I respectfully couldn't agree less. The town of Pisa, the Field of Miracles, The Tower, Baptistry and other monuments are beautiful, historic and worth the trip. Plus, you have to take the touristy "holding up the leaning tower" photo!

Have a wonderful trip.

Archived