Paris or Honfleur?

We're taking our first trip to Europe next summer and will be stopping in LeHavre. Should we take the Princess bus tour in to Paris or should we go to Honfleur via taxi? We're a family of 4 and ours sons will be 15.5 yrs. and 13 yrs. old by then. This may be our one and only trip to Europe as a family. Which would you choose - Paris or Honfleur?
Thanks! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

--------------------------
'05-Golden Princess, West. European Capitals, '04-2 wk. land cruise to Wash. State, '04-Monarch of the Seas, '04-Coral Princess, '03-Monarch of the Seas, '02-Ecstasy, '02-Adventure of the Seas, '01-Radiance of the Seas, '01-Grand Princess, '00-Grand Princess, '99-Viking Serenade, '98-Elation

When I was on the Royal we did the Princess excursion to Paris - (It was our first time in Paris) We took the long bus ride - had lunch onboard Le Batoun Mouche (sp?)(very nice views of Paris from the water with commentary - lunch was good - it was a pleasant experience - but for a first look see - I would have preferred a quick sandwich or better yet crepes at one the many crepe bars - and more time to scoot around Paris on my own two feet) after lunch/cruise, we had a hurried trip to one of the department stores (coud do without - rather sightsee)- and back on the bus. Just wetted my appetite to go back!!
Never have done Honfleur so can't compare....
Subsequently, we have spent time in Paris exclusively - 3 years ago, I took a (then) 16 yr. old grandaughter for a weeks visit during her High School Spring Break, we had a "girls' view" of Paris - she just finished her freshman year at MIT, am I a proud Grandma - you bet!! Paris is a fabulous city --you can walk all day and see the "main" sites if your hotel is centrally located (8th district I think, near the Arc D'Triumph, is best) - otherwise easy to get around w/local transportation. We never took a taxi.
Just my opinion, others may feel differently.
I know this is a hard decision for your family.
From the Port of Le Havre, we're looking forward to a tour of the Normandy Beaches etc. w/history of World War 2---I've heard this is an excellant tour and very interesting - some have told me they could have spent days doing this. We are taking this itinerary 'specially for this Port experience.
Closer to the time - I'll do some research about booking this tour on our own. If you are interested - I'll keep you posted - I'm sure I will find tours/guides with vans that seat 8 or more - we can share costs & most likely there will be others wanting to join in. We move (very)fast to maximise our time - and we care little for long lunches and shopping stops. (Even to the extent of "packing" our own lunch from the ship's breakfast buffet, (SHHH! - I don't think it's allowed....) & just stopping for coffee and....along the way.
By-the-way -I remember the times when you could ask the night before and the Maitre'D would pack you a cold lunch all boxed up and ready to go the next morning before you left the ship.....AHHH - those were the (Pre-Carnival) days!!!
Renee (aka GotToCruise)

Until Pacific Princess
Islands of the Pacific Theater

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;07;25;12;00;00&timezone=GMT+0900[/img]

Until Golden Princess Western European Capitals

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;07;31;12;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]

Until Golden Princess British Isles

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;08;10;12;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]

[This message was edited by GottoCruise on 05-30-04 at 03:41 PM.]

We used this [url="http://www.normandywebguide.com/"]http://www.normandywebguide.com/[/url] outfit in 9/02 & were vary satisfied. Had 5 couples did Normandy and Bayeux (tapestry). Caught lunch in little stand. Believe the cost was ~$100 but we saw much more then the ships tours. Watch out for the Paris tours. Most places they mention are "you'll see". That means no stop. Also spent a week in Paris, using public trans. with no problem. In July we're going to go to Mt. St. Michael from Le Harve. Questions email me at [email]glinger1@rochester.rr.com[/email]. Put CC or Normandy as subject.

This is a hard question. We have been to Paris many times, it is our most favourite city. If you do go for the day, it is a very long time in the bus in lots of traffic and you only skim the surface if that. We had a couple on our table who did the day trip last year and they were exhausted when they returned.

We went to Honfleur last year and shared a taxi with another couple from the ship. Honfleur is a delightful town with quite a lot to see. We asked the taxi driver to return at a certain time and we paid him when we returned to the ship.

Another thought is to go to Honfleur and then on to Rouen. Our friends went to Rouen as they had been to Honfleur before and loved the city. There is a lot to see there which may interest your teenagers.

I suppose if we hadn't been to Paris previously and this was our first time, I would have probably opted for the day trip. Can you just pay for the bus to get you there and then spend time on your own. Paris is a very easy city to get around, it is quite flat and easy walking and the underground is user friendly.

Jennie

The next cruise is always the best!

3RD OCTOBER, 2004 PRINSENDAM
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;03;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]

Aussie Gal - do you recall the approx cost of cab from LeHavre to Honfleur and back in Euro or US$? Thanks

94 Fantasy - Bahamas
95 Fantasy - Bahamas
02 Inspiration - West Carrib
03 Sensation - Exotic West Carrib
04 Royal Princess - European Explorer

Would take the short time in PAris if it was my first time there. You will get to at least see abit and then I bet you you will want to come back next year and next and next................

Next stop:
Buenos Aires to Rio Oceania - "Insignia"
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;2;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300[/img]

[img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/mermaidswim.gif[/img]
[img]http://jammerbabe.com/images/gifs/icon_treasurebox.gif[/img]

This question is tough, so I asked my wife (smile). Keep in mind that we really love traveling in France, and have been throughout the country using our own rental cars. We think what you should do depends on your outlook for the future. If you think you will be back in France within a few years, than you might want to avoid the long trek into Paris and enjoy Honfleur or Normandy (we really liked Normandy). If you cannot be sure when you will ever be back in France, than go to Paris. Bottom line is that if its your only trip to France, you must see Paris even if only for a few hours.

Hank

Thanks so much everyone for your insight, experience and recommendations! I truly appreciate it.

As this may be our only trip to France for many years, (too many other incredible countries to see first), I think we should opt for the long trip in to Paris. They have 2 tours and one of them does a lunch while on the Seine River cruise, so that way, we could kill two birds with one stone - get lunch done and overwith while looking at the sites too.

Thanks again everyone! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

'05-Golden Princess, West. European Capitals, '04-2 wk. land cruise to Wash. State, '04-Monarch of the Seas, '04-Coral Princess, '03-Monarch of the Seas, '02-Ecstasy, '02-Adventure of the Seas, '01-Radiance of the Seas, '01-Grand Princess, '00-Grand Princess, '99-Viking Serenade, '98-Elation

It is a long day to do the Paris trip,but it was worth it. Our highlight was having lunch in a little bistro on the left bank, going to some of the local shops, and enjoying the three hours we had on our own. Bought some wine, went to a bakery, etc. My brother in law did the Seine River lunch cruise and enjoyed it. The trip back to Le Havre is a long ride.

Aussie Gal-

I too would be interested to know what the taxi was from Le Havre to Honfleur. I found a website that has preset taxi tours (taxilehavre.com) and the Honfleur option is 105 E. Not too sure if you could do better just "on your own" with a taxi.

any input appreciated.

Samscruiser and Holomuku,

The taxi fare for each couple for the return journey was just over 50Euros.

My husband sat in the front seat and spoke French to the driver both ways. We felt we got a cheaper fare because he knew we were from Australia and the fact that Peter spoke a bit of the language. The other couple were from the U.S.

It was cheaper than what we had allowed for.

Jennie

The next cruise is always the best!

3RD OCTOBER, 2004 PRINSENDAM
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;03;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]

Gottocruise, You mentioned wanting to see the Normandy beaches. We just returned from a Royal Princess cruise. We were in Le Havre on May 18, 2004. We had an independent tour with John Flaherty of [url="http://www.handmaidtours.com"]www.handmaidtours.com[/url]. I very highly recommend his services. We went to all the beaches, the British and American cemetaries, Point du Huc and the Pegasus bridge. He prepared a booklet for us that we got to keep and when we got home he sent us a CD containing additional photos. He really knows this topic.

Lady Jag,

I agree with the others. Go to Paris. But just use the ship's transport to and from. DON'T go on one of their tours! You'll miss Paris!
Paris is a walking city, don't see it from a bus!
If you really want to take a lunch cruise on the Seine, you don't need the cruiseline to hold your hand (and charge you more for it).
Look up the schedule on one of the many Paris websites or just find out from the ship what time the cruise is and show up. There are hundreds that'll be on the Seine cruise. It's easy to do it on your own.

I think the boat is called BateauMouche.

Jane

Wow, this is a tough one. I think it's crazy to try to see Paris in a day from the port city (I visited Honfleur, Deauville, and Treauville from the port city a couple of years ago via a taxi tour hired in port and it was wonderful), but if you think you won't be able to go back, I also think you should go for it. The only thing I would add is that the Metro system in Paris is really great and cheap and convenient (trains run frequently), so check that out and plot your way carefully. One of the scenic boat rides referenced in the other posts--the Bateaux-Mouche--leaves right from the base of the Eiffel Tower, so that will be convenient for you. I agree that the best way to see Paris is by foot and not from a bus window. I just don't know how you choose from all the great areas like Montmartre, St-Germain, Champs-Elysées, place des Vosges, etc. So your research to pick the most desirable to you and your family will be critical. I would suggest that you use Google or a good guide book to find web sites to check out all the times for the attractions (times for the boat rides, etc.) to aid in your planning and then carefully map out an itinerary to do on your own. Beats the heck out of sitting around for 2 hours eating lunch with the shore excursion group when you can grab some wonderful French food at one of the many bakeries you will see while walking.

I hope you can go back to see the great sights such as the Louvre, Musee D'Orsay, Versailles, Notre-Dame, climb to the top of the Arc de Triomphe, etc.

Hope you have a great time.

Donna

Okay if you really do want to go to Paris- and as one of the most beautiful and charming ciites in the world, I can see why, there is no reason to take a tour.
This is about the easiest city to get around in ! Esp since you are planning so much in advance.
I have been to paris 5 times with my kids or husband in the last couple years. The fun of Paris is exploring on your own on foot or by metro. No need to focus on big destinations (ie museums) if you have a short time.
I would not waste a lot of time eating as you have so little. The biggest treat is French ice cream It is out of this world. And the crepes that you by from the vendores. And the Bagettes that you buy at the balkeries. And the cheese that you buy at the fromagerie, etc.
You can easily do the bateau tour on your own, but you may ahve had enough sitting with the bus ride. Its a good thing for those who need to get off their feet, though.

Jacqueline
Constellation 3/20/04
HAL Westerdam 7/30/04
Tahitian Princess August 2003
Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002
Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001
Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001
Grand Princess Med 2000

Waste time eating! Jacqueline, Jacqueline, Jacqueline! Yes, I agree that eating takes time out of ones' day. But geez, some of the best of French culture can only be found by spending some leisure time at a well-placed outdoor cafe, enjoying a nice meal, sipping some wine or beer, and watching the crazy tourists rushing by, to and fro, trying to find the real pulse of the city that is actually in your seat. I would quickly trade some museum time for time at a cafe on the Ile de Cite. Guess this is what they call "different strokes."

Hank

I wouldnt go to a museum at ALL for such a short trip unless I had a very specific interest that could not be fulfilled anywhere else.
I do think that you can experience more food wise with the patisserie/crepe/glace/fromagerie approach. And also get a flavor for the french culture and everyday life. A neighborhood food market is a ton a fun too... I love seeing all those plucked birds, rabbits and fish on ice. Some of these critters you dont see in the US.
Remember she said she was traveling with KIDS ! A cafe in St Germaine would be fun- I will go along with that. But I would be wearing out the show leather to walk as much as possible in Paris. There is something to see on every *rue*.
Climbing the Arc de Triumphe is a hit with the younger crowd. Then take metro down to Samaritan.The roof top of Samaratine Dept store is free with a cafe to boot.From there walk across the bridge to Ile de la Cite. After viewing the Cathedral of Notre Dame, one could go over the the left bank but simply crossing the bridge. There are also Bateau mouche in t
Now,if you want to go below ground there are those catacombs you like so much (just kidding). But for one day, this would NOT be my choice.
They have the long bus ride both ways so no harm on lots of walking. Bring umbrellas no matter how clear it looks and maps and you are all set..
Hey for fine dining and a view my kids still talk about Jules Verne, the one start restaurant up on the 2ieme etage of the Eiffel tour. You need advance reservations. Again for one afternoon, I would not choose to do this... But for a person with some mobility issues, it would be an excellent choice as the handicapped have it hard in Paris. No ADA there. Take it from someone who had to deal with a stroller.
Confession- my brother has lived in Paris with his family for 5 years now. But siince they had their last child there is no more room at the apartment, cutting into our cheap trips (and the dollar used to be much stronger too),
Its a great city for walking and the metro is fast, easy and for anyone to use. Of course you have to deal with all that accordian playing but for one day it is fun !

Jacqueline
Constellation 3/20/04
HAL Westerdam 7/30/04
Tahitian Princess August 2003
Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002
Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001
Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001
Grand Princess Med 2000

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] LOL Jacqueline!! Lots of walking does not sound good to me or my kids. Climbing to the top of the Eiffel Tower (via elevators!) sounds good. Stopping to piece together a lunch at the fromagerie, boulangerie, etc. sounds terrific!

The ride in the Princess bus to Paris is $109 per person, only $70 less than the Princess tour that includes the city tour and the lunch on the Seine River Boat. I priced out just the lunch and it was between $50-$70 per person. (Princess must be getting a cut-rate).

I must admit I'm a bit afraid of trying to do Paris on our own. ???

p.s. - Although I'd LOVE to visit the Musee d'Orsay and the Louvre, there's no way I'd attempt either in such a short amt. of time. Besides, the boys would be bored to tears. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Archived