Waiting for my upgrade

KAKcruiser

KA-I would say slim to none on the chances of that upgrade. On the Sun Class ships the minis and full suites are few and far between, unlike on the Grand Class. To tell you the truth after all the years I have been posting/reading on cruise message boards I have yet to hear of even one person being upgraded to a full suite on the Sun Class ships from a mini.

But I am sure you will enjoy the AC mini, we had one this past March and they are very comfortable. Only draw back to them is the very long and thin balcony.

We're on the Grand at Christmas....AC category....I said ok to an upgrade.
What's my chance? slim to none, way to go, hahaha, or maybe?
I'm looking for that premier suite :p (yeah right).
I'll be very pleasantly pleased with my minisuite regardless of an upgrade.
We certainly were when we were on the Coral last year.

Your chance would be as good as anyone normally, but during Christmas, I think the full suites will fill up fast, at least they have in the past. Just keep checking the online sites and I doubt you will see any full suites available in a couple months for a Christmas sailing.

Not to be a pessimist or anything, but these higher upgrades don't happen as often as you think. Now, the lower category upgrades happen quite frequently, but when you start talking mini suites to full suites, they just don't happen often anymore.

But will keep my fingers crossed for all of you, you never know when a miracle will happen. ;)

I had originally booked a category AA but decided it was too expensive. The AC seemed almost as nice (except for the narrow balcony) for much less money. But, of course, I would love to have a free upgrade. I have taken about 30 cruises, mostly Princess and HAL and have never been upgraded.

KA they are very nice, except for the one draw back you just mentioned. But there is plenty of room out there for two people. And remember, you will have a door in the living area and the bedroom area if they are like the Sun Minis, which I am sure they are.
We were very comfortable in ours.
Here is a link to the pics we took of the AC on the Sun, they should be almost identical.
[url="http://community.webshots.com/album/133123604noDdgi"]http://community.webshots.com/album/133123604noDdgi[/url]

Only thing we really missed was the perks associated in the AA suite.

[b][color=black]For some time I have been meaning to post this grinch like thought... [/color][/b]

[b][color=black]I feel that upgrade fever does more harm than good, that the disappointment and hours spent checking personalizer do every bit as much heartbreak as elation in the big picture, for every inside to royal suite story there are hundreds of no move stories. I would be fine with the lines discontinuing the practice or having published and very specific upgrade criteria (loyalty, wedding party, earliest booked etc.) so there is no wondering involved.[/color][/b]

[quote name='srphnx'][b][color=black]For some time I have been meaning to post this grinch like thought... [/color][/b]

[b][color=black]I feel that upgrade fever does more harm than good, that the disappointment and hours spent checking personalizer do every bit as much heartbreak as elation in the big picture, for every inside to royal suite story there are hundreds of no move stories. I would be fine with the lines discontinuing the practice or having published and very specific upgrade criteria (loyalty, wedding party, earliest booked etc.) so there is no wondering involved.[/color][/b][/QUOTE]I totally agree srphnx, except I would change that one line to read "for every inside to royal suite story there are THOUSANDS (maybe even 10's of thousands) of no move stories that no one ever posts about"

Another thing I have learned is that when someone has received an upgrade once or even twice in the past, they seem to think they are "lucky" and this will happen on most of their cruises. Then they are very disappointed when it does not happen.

Upgrades, especially those to very desireable cabins, such as full suites don't happen much at all. YES, they do happen occasionally, but when you take into consideration the hundreds of thousands of cabins booked in a year, the percentage has got to be in the 1% range or lower.

I have had this thought as well, srphnx! The anticipation becomes so intense that I think some people are very disappointed in their cruise because of their perception that everyone else DID get an upgrade. In point of fact, there aren't all that many available, and many times the upgrade is to an identical stateroom, just on a higher deck. On the other hand, I can hardly blame those who have gotten the upgrades for being excited and sharing their enjoyment! What to do?

Archived