W-Dam Elevator Dings!!

FishOn55

Just received my cabin assignment for Westerdam sailing in November. While I appreciate the upgrade HA gave me from a balcony guarantee to VA cabin 7042...I'm greatly concerned because my cabin is directly accross from the hallway where the forward stairs and elevator are located. :( Has anyone sailed in this cabin that can reassure me that I won't hear elevator "dings" 24/7? Should I contact my TA and ask to be re-assigned? I know from others on the roll-call boards that several are still awaiting cabin assignments in guarantee situations so there may be other available cabins to change to. Based on your replies, I'll decide today whether to call my TA. Thanks.

Kathy

I haven't had a room that close to the elevators on the W'dam or Noordam, but I know the cabin doors are pretty well sound resistant. I'd guess that you might hear the dings if you were to put your ear up against the door, but not much further away. :rolleyes:

We also haven't had a cabin that close to the elevators but we've been close and I don't recall hearing the "dings". Our only reason for staying away from those cabins is just the foot traffic and even that is just the occasional heavy footed individual that you really notice. The worst noise problem we've ever had was a late night group in the hallway who had obviously had a really good time at one, or more, of the lounges. :D

I've had the equivalent cabin 3 times now, and there is zero - zilch - no problem. The elevators face into the lobby, so there's a corner wall and part of a hall separating you I've seldom heard voices of people coming past the door, never heard dings. And - so convenient to take the elevator yourself!

I have been on the Westerdam and the Zuiderdam and have had cabins on both about the same distance to the elevators as your cabin. I have never heard the elevator dings inside my cabin when the door was shut. Maybe I can tune them out more than others can, but the cabins on every HAL ship I have been on -- R, S, and Vista class, have all been pretty quiet IMO.

We had a VD cabin on Deck 4 of Noordam. Liked it so much we booked the exact same cabin again for January. It's right behind the forward elevator bank. The only time I could occasionally hear the ding dong of the elevator (or other elevator lobby noise) was if I was standing at my closet pondering what to wear. That's it. Standing in the bathroom I could sometimes hear "happy" pax :D late at night as I got ready for bed. Once further in the cabin......nothing. Don't worry about it.

You'll find the location close to the elevator really convenient. Have a wonderful time. :)

A bit unrelated ... but what I really found amazing this past January was that I could hear that tone that they use ... before a PA announcement ... in my room across the street from the Pier at San Diego ... while I was waiting to board the Amsterdam and the previous cruise was doing disembarkation. I kid you not. I wait laying on the bed at the Holiday Inn across the street from the terminal ... and listening to those tones for over an hour. Couldn't hear any of the announcements ... just the tones. And, no ... I did not have the balcony door open. I could clearly hear this through the glass.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Strange! Just the right frequency to make your balcony door glass resonate and echo the tone maybe?

I have no idea. I just kept hearing that ding-dong-ding ... and knew that with all those announcements it had to be disembarkation colors being called. I just kept thinking ... hurry up and empty that ship. I wanna get onboard. :)

Of course that pier is right across the street from the Holiday Inn in San Diego ... so it wasn't that far off that the sounds wouldn't be audible. And, also, there were two HAL ships in port ... both turning around their entire passenger load. So the "dings" were probably coming from both ships.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Just received my cabin assignment for Westerdam sailing in November. While I appreciate the upgrade HA gave me from a balcony guarantee to VA cabin 7042...I'm greatly concerned because my cabin is directly accross from the hallway where the forward stairs and elevator are located. :( Has anyone sailed in this cabin that can reassure me that I won't hear elevator "dings" 24/7? Should I contact my TA and ask to be re-assigned? I know from others on the roll-call boards that several are still awaiting cabin assignments in guarantee situations so there may be other available cabins to change to. Based on your replies, I'll decide today whether to call my TA. Thanks.

Kathy

If your are not going to be happy with your cabin assignment don't book a guarantee OK.:eek:

Archived