Stateroom Tipping Thread... Continuation...

AnthonyF

I asked prior whether you tipped more for larger rooms and was surprised that for the most part the answer was a resounding no. People followed the guidelines and tipped extra for exemplary service.

Then I commented below and am actually a little perturbed with little answer to my follow-up or the fact no one has yet made a comment and thus want to ask/comment again.

"The larger the room the more work involved, be it cleaning, vacuuming, dusting, windows, verandas.... Also allows you to throw stuff around. In a small stateroom, trust me, you are not leaving things all around, there is absolutely no room. I would have hoped people said they tipped above the guidelines not below.

To be honest while we are talking why do we double the tip if we are 4 in a stateroom (2 more beds to make, though usually we make them and put them away), vs. 2? We do, but why?:confused: Thus by my calculation we tip double the average....

P.S. We certainly tip per person in the Dining room, but why the room, seems we tip more then anyone imo....."

I asked prior whether you tipped more for larger rooms and was surprised that for the most part the answer was a resounding no. People followed the guidelines and tipped extra for exemplary service.

Then I commented below and am actually a little perturbed with little answer to my follow-up or the fact no one has yet made a comment and thus want to ask/comment again.

"The larger the room the more work involved, be it cleaning, vacuuming, dusting, windows, verandas.... Also allows you to throw stuff around. In a small stateroom, trust me, you are not leaving things all around, there is absolutely no room. I would have hoped people said they tipped above the guidelines not below.

To be honest while we are talking why do we double the tip if we are 4 in a stateroom (2 more beds to make, though usually we make them and put them away), vs. 2? We do, but why?:confused: Thus by my calculation we tip double the average....

P.S. We certainly tip per person in the Dining room, but why the room, seems we tip more then anyone imo....."

Here are the guidelines, I believe from reading the threads your original question has been answered. You do not tip for a bigger stateroom or a CC room. The only extra is a butler in the suites.

It is customary to offer gratuities to staff members you feel have given you exceptional service and personal attention. Celebrity suggests the following guidelines:

Adults

Waiter: $3.50 p/day

Assistant Waiter: $2.00 p/day

Butler (suites only): $3.50 p/day

Assistant Maitre'd: $0.75 p/day

Stateroom Service: $3.50 p/day

Stateroom Service (ConciergeClass): $4.00

Assistant Chief Housekeeper: .75 p/day

Children

Waiter: $1.75 p/day

Assistant Waiter: 1.00 p/day

Butler (suites only): $1.75 p/day

Assistant Maitre'd: $0.38 p/day

Stateroom Service: $1.75 p/day

Stateroom Service (ConciergeClass): $2.00

Assistant Chief Housekeeper: .38 p/day

I will wade in here. As far as I am concerned would YOU want to be changing the sheets and cleaning the toilets OR standing at a table asking ppl if everything is ok with their meal?

I always tip the maid or room staff well, they can really make my cruise comfortable. I love a clean room, it is important to me!

It is not a hard question. If your room staff is treating you wel,l show your appreciation. If you are making your own beds then let it go a little.

Why do we tip the room staff? Because they make less than anybody else.

Plus they are among your personal stuff! You should want to treat them well.

This is not about tipping... I did (1 previous cruise) tip the reccomemnded amount. However a larger room is MORE work.... That was the point, though I don't know which rooms have butlers.

A 400sf room requires way more work then a 170sf room all things being equal....

Butler service is provided with the Sky Suites, Constellation Suites, Royal Suites and the Penthouse Suite. We usually travel in suites and start out tipping by guidelines. You are tipping a butler in addition to the house cleaner and your butler does provide some of the services that might otherwise be done by a cabin attendant - taking care of laundry, serving meals and cleaning up after meals etc.. etc.

We generally tip over the recommend amounts when services are above and beyound the minimum expected. We once not only tipped the cabin attedent extra but sent a letter to HQ recommending him for promotion to Butler.

This is not about tipping... I did (1 previous cruise) tip the reccomemnded amount. However a larger room is MORE work.... That was the point, though I don't know which rooms have butlers.

A 400sf room requires way more work then a 170sf room all things being equal....

No really it doesn't. A 400 square foot room is easiler to move around with a vacuum cleaner. Dusting is a easy job.

Cleaning toilets is dirty work, scrubbing the tub is dirty work, making up beds that may have "fluids" is DIRTY work.

Geeze it is simple, if you don't feel like they "earned the tip" don't pay it.

But in reality these are good ppl whom deserve a tip.

4 people in one stateroom IMO would would be harder to pick up/clean after than 2 people in a larger cabin. 2X the soapscum in the shower, dirty sheets, personal items to move around and arrange neatly, towels-soap-drinking glasses to replace, people to please, special requests to fulfill, and it would be much more difficult to simply get the opportunity to get into the room just to take care of all that work given the higher occupancy throughout the day. Just MHO.

We only sleep and change in them and that is fine. I promise you that you can not be bothered to luxuriate and lounge in the room and that is fine. Add to that you can't drop clothes or leave a mess as it is just too small. I usually showered at the spa because of how crowded and small the room was.

I can promise you anyone posting who stays in a small stateroom will agree.

Archived