XSNOBS...Barbarians at the gate!!!

Danno

Well... "barbarians" might be a bit strong :D . However the summer cruise season is getting into full swing and the confusion about attire is once again rearing it's ugly head.

It would be seem to be up to us to educate those new to X as to what is expected for each given night and to help end the confusion :confused: .

Remember, as XSNOBS, we must handle this with tact and not insult anyone...while still getting the point across that the rules and/or guidelines are there to be adhered to. Most people simply want to know what is proper and they will fall in step.

Why can't people just read their cruise material and adhere to the guidelines. The dress code is stated for each day. It's so simple it's not funny.

My husband actually loves cruising so much he went out and bought his own tuxedo.

I wonder if the cruise line actually started to enforce the dress code how it would affect business.

Why can't people just read their cruise material and adhere to the guidelines. The dress code is stated for each day. It's so simple it's not funny.

I think too often TA's don't educate their clients and on line bookings get no education what so ever...if X could just change to formal, semi-formal, and casual it would help clear up the confusion I'm sure. So we'll try to clear the air!!

Proper dress standards 101.

Expedia.com recommends the following:

Does the ship have a dress code?

Different ships have different dress codes. Most ships suggest "resort casual" attire throughout the day, which includes shorts, pants, blouses, and shirts; and skirts and slacks for evening attire (except on formal nights, when women wear evening gowns or pantsuits and men wear dark suits or tuxedos). Generally, swimwear is not permitted in any dining rooms, including casual buffet-style restaurants.

Etiquette by Rebecca recommends:

Typically, if you dress resort-casual you should be fine. That includes light-weight slacks, skirts, polo shirts, or sporty dresses (think golf course).

Life is cruising says:

They call it "resort casual" which basically means to leave behind your "Spuds McKenzie for President" shirt and those favorite jeans that have been around maybe a little too long.

It's not Carnival of course, but NCL offers an expanded explanation.

NCL's policy is:

Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. If you like, you can slip into a pair of khakis and a polo shirt, a skirt and blouse or a sundress for dinner. We do not allow jeans, T-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of the restaurants at dinner.

Now, I know that some folks think NCL is a bit "fancy" so, how about the Disney cruise-line? Surely Disney - the "family" cruise line is appropriate for "everyman". They suggest the following:

Disney Cruise Lines

On other cruise lines, the norm may be "dressing up" for dinner, but this is not an issue on the Disney Cruise -- though there are a few restrictions such as no shorts, T-shirts or jeans worn in any of the restaurants in the evening.

Askandyaboutclothes.com defines Resort Casual:

. COUNTRY CLUB, or DRESSY, RESORT CASUAL, CASUAL CHIC: Apparel that you’d wear to a private country club for lunch or dinner. Dress trousers, sports shirt, dress shirt or knit polo shirt, a sweater or sport jacket and leather shoes/belt. It’s also appropriate for an off-site seminar, a party at a friend’s home or dinner at a nice restaurant. And yes the elements in your attire may have cost MORE than a good suit!!

Even our own Cruist Critic website -- the place where we'll all posting right now to answer all of our cruise-related questions -- suggests:

While many passengers dress to the nines, some, quite frankly, show up for events looking like slobs. This is not a good nor pleasant event. For the sake of all around you, please dress according to the shipboard code, which is always outlined in the daily program. If "formal" wear is requested that means a tuxedo or suit for men, cocktail dress or gown for women. Informal means jacket and perhaps a tie, attractive evening outfit for women; casual translates into chic resort wear, not warm-ups, short shorts or blue jeans.

http://www.cruisecritic

I've been on ebay lately and they have some terrific deals on tuxes! Men can really buy, new for what they would pay to rent twice! And maybe if they had thier own tuxes they would like wearing them more? :)

HDAWSON...Well done!!

I still remember before my first cruise booking my TA making it VERY clear to me what was expected with respect to attire...making sure I was ok with that, THEN taking my money. No room for confusion in that office!!

While we seem to be concentrating on the men and tuxes, there are women (namely my sister-in-law) who don't want to get dressed up either. I told her not to do a cruise then. They've decided to do the NCL 10 day Hawaii Cruise. She's going on August 11th. I can't wait to her here review.

Danno, sure do agree with you about the TA's taking the time with their clients. I am so glad we found CC prior to our first cruise as all of our information was obtained here. A little addendum: a few years ago I purchased a beautiful dark wool suit at a St. Vincent DePaul, cost $3.00. Cleaning and alterations $28.00. I am always bothered by the "why should I go out and buy something I will never wear again" comments.

Perhaps when X publishes the (now oversized) ticket booklet FULL of ads...they might think to include some sample photos, or perhaps in their brochures, or their website. This is a point of confusion which has no need to be confusing :confused: .

"why should I go out and buy something I will never wear again" comments.

For no other reason than it is simply the proper thing to do...or find another cruise line that meets your wants and needs. They are out there and they provide great holiday experiences in the style that these folks are most comfortable with...but not Celebrity.

A cautionary note about travel agents. I really value them but have read of some that tell the client, not to worry about dressing for the dining room because they will still let you in. Also suspicious of the TA that tells a client that travel insurance isn't important, in order to keep the invoice lower.

Let me start of by saying that I do follow dress code. I am aware that for some on this board it is a very hot topic but I guess I just don't understand why. I am certainly not saying people shouldn't follow the rules but if someone wears sneakers I wouldn't let them have the satisfaction of knowing it aggravates me. This is more just curiosity on my part but I was wondering why...

EEEK!!Barbarians at the gate!!!Don't we all just know that there are just some people that just don't like to follow rules (and dress codes),,our last Summit cruise I must say everyone stuck to the code, no tee shirts or shorts in the dining room at dinner,,,did see some people tho who changed into "very casual" wear on formal night after dinner,tacky,tacky...No hope for some folks.....

Why do we dress a certain way to go to work, to a wedding, to a ball game, to a funeral?? It's all about what's proper for the circumstance...and I for one will admit to this flaw, it really does bother me when people dress inappropriately.

To many times these days, I see young women in the restaurant showing far too much skin. The number of backless shirts continues to increase. It's one thing on deck another at dinner. Even so I could understand on a Casual nite, but it's shows up on informal night. Instead of the dinning looking classy and refined, it starts looking like a cheap disco.

Danno, I agree totally. For those that enjoy the refinement and yes even elegance of a cruise vacation, we need to stick together and voice our preferences to hopefully block any move by some to DUMB down our vacation choice.

We happen to have a very good TA who 10 years ago started us off right. Started us on a short Carnival cruise to see if we liked cruising and trying to get a better idea of our sense of style. Next few cruises were HAL and now Celbrity, since HAL has slipped a bit. We happily comform to the dress code....actually look forward to formal nights and maintain them throughout the rest of the evening/night. Postings here about things like guaranteed upgrades, suite amenities for non-suites/CC cabins, dress code only a rough guide, etc, etc., make me wonder about some TA's.

We believe in keeping with the dress codes also but we're taking our next cruise to Alaska and I'm curious if it's off code to wear jeans on excursions? Should you change back into resort casual or whatever is appropriate for the day as soon as you re-embark? Also DH just bought a silk T-shirt and a silk mock turtleneck. He wears his sportcoat with them, are these ok for informal nights? (The T-shirt doesn't have a collar so I told him he should just leave it at home). Thanks for your help. Linda

I wouldn't mind seeing skin as long as it doesn't look cheap which I know is a matter of opinion. I think I might have said this before I would rather see someone in lets say a backless dress rather then someone in a sequined ball gown from 1989.

Don't you all get tired of talking about dress codes, over and over again?
If dress codes weren't constantly under seige then they wouldn't keep popping up. A tiny percentage of people still are determined that these codes are something to be done away with...most of us disagree. To keep this issue alive, keeps it important, to ignore it is to accept that it doesn't matter.

This thread was started to educate some people as to what the rules are...not to defend the rules. That'll be another thread :D .

The beauty of this board is if you don't want to be involved in a certain topic...just ignore the thread.

Do you really think that it makes a difference? Cruise Critics is such a small small portion of the cruising population. The people who offend you probably are not on these boards.

Sounds like your defending the "dress code" to ME!! You all sound like a bunch crusty, " I'm better than you" old farts who sit around judging people and the way they look......:mad:

You don't like the way someone dresses, too bad, to each his own.. Those people paid money for their cruise privelage same as U !! :eek:

Archived