XSNOBS...Barbarians at the gate!!!

Danno

Nina. No. Those that respect the dress code and their fellow cruisers are not the ones out of step. If you don't like the refinement or elegance of cruising or of a particular line then find a vacation venue that you are comfortable with and provides what you want.

Sounds like your defending the "dress code" to ME!! You all sound like a bunch crusty, " I'm better than you" old farts who sit around judging people and the way they look......

Another "one" heard from! :D

When we accept less, we will get less! This is how we sink to the bottom. :p

Last time I looked I was FREE to do what pleased....:p Now that seems to BOTHER YOU folks,,,, I don't care one bit if you all want to PLAY dress up every night...:rolleyes: , and look like a bunch of idiots just don't expect me to HAVE to play along..:eek:

And also HALF the time what you all call " refined and dressed up " I would not put on my CATS...........:eek: You folks just keep thinking that you are refined and dressed, I wont tell anyone otherwise..;)

for people like hdawson and people like NinaB... No one has to find a new cruise line. People can choose to follow the dress code or not and the great thing about it is that it does not matter or shouldn't. If hdawson doesn't like the way you are dressed they can find a different line if they want - - if NinaB doesn't like old farts (so eloquently put) she can find a different line. But the way you dress does not mean you have to find a different line. I have not heard ANY instances where someone was told they could not go into a place with that type of dress. Correct me if I am wrong but I think the overwhelming amount of people will say they see these people "barbarians" but no staff ever says anything or makes them leave. Until that happens we can all cruise together "old crusty farts and barbarians unite"

Sounds like your defending the "dress code" to ME!!

I don't think we tried to hide that :confused: .

Let it go guys...Nini is just trying to make a fight out of thread that wasn't meant to become one. She has her opinion, it goes contrary to the rules...so be it.

We believe in keeping with the dress codes also but we're taking our next cruise to Alaska and I'm curious if it's off code to wear jeans on excursions? Should you change back into resort casual or whatever is appropriate for the day as soon as you re-embark? Also DH just bought a silk T-shirt and a silk mock turtleneck. He wears his sportcoat with them, are these ok for informal nights? (The T-shirt doesn't have a collar so I told him he should just leave it at home). Thanks for your help. Linda

OK, gang, let’s not get carried away here. We had an honest question earlier from Pacificlander about the dress code. My opinion follows (others may have a slightly different take on it).

Jeans are perfectly OK on the excursions. In Alaska, especially, they are even fine on the ship, though you will probably want to change after your excursions since Alaska tends to be wet. A nice clean pair of jeans and a nice top during the day are not a problem.

As for the silk mock turtle and blazer, that would be fine for informal night (I am assuming that it is a blue blazer or something similar, rather than the tweed type with patches on the sleeves—those might be better on casual nights). Celebrity seems to have relaxed the suggestion for men to wear ties on informal nights (at least they has on the dailies we received in our room on the last cruise).

And thanks for asking…

Linda

I really love to dress up on a cruise. I get to wear my best clothes and quite a few new ones as well. My opinions on dress codes is that they are a good thing. When I was working in the 70's and 80's we had a strict dress code. I know that I acted more professional in a nice dress, or suit than I would have in a pair of shorts and jeans. Attending the formal nights on the cruise is magical. You get to be elegant and of course your demeanor matches your elegant attire. Everyone seems to be excited and that spreads all through the dining room. Think back to your prom night. What if there was no expected dress code. It would just have been another dance.

BB Actually there have been several posts about the Maitr de denying entry into the dining room on Celebrity when not dressed appropriately. Hats off to the staff that enforces the code. There is a posting outside the dining room with the evening menue that does exclude jeans.

I am sure there are some but at least in my experience and from reading these boards most do not. I personally do follow the dress code but if someone doesn't want to they don't have to and it will not have any effect on me or my vacation. I would never let someone have that much power over me. I just think this gets blow way out of proportion but that is what these forums are all about.

Do you really think that it makes a difference? Cruise Critics is such a small small portion of the cruising population. The people who offend you probably are not on these boards.

Then why would you bother to vote...you're only one out of millions??

This board may not reach the majority of cruisers, HOWEVER it is not ignored by the cruise lines or new cruisers. We have seen many instances of flare ups here that have resulted in a change of policy at a given cruise line.

Never underestimate the noise many small voices can make.

The "dress code" usually boils down to this...cruise lines MUST state clearly and up front their dress expectations...then the must enforce those guidelines. Confusion seems to create the most grief in this issue.

I agree and if and when X starts to enforce this rule (not like they enforce the drinks coming on board rule) then people who don't want to follow code will have to find a new line or start following the rules. But I am very doubtful this will start to be enforced to the degree it would need to be anytime soon. So for now I would suggest relaxing and focus on your vacation not the person next to you if you know what I mean...

Attending the formal nights on the cruise is magical. You get to be elegant and of course your demeanor matches your elegant attire. Everyone seems to be excited and that spreads all through the dining room. Think back to your prom night. What if there was no expected dress code. It would just have been another dance.

Nicely said. I also enjoy being able to wear my dressy clothes. It does change the way I feel, and if I'm at a table where others are not following the dress code for the day, I think it takes away from the experience. Because the office setting has become more and more casual, most of us do not get much of a chance to dress in our "finer" clothes. I think it makes the evening and dinner more special when everyone abides by the set rules. I know if I were underdressed, I would be very self-conscience, and probably wouldn't be the best dinner companion.

Garry

BB. My experience on my four Celebrity cruises is that 98%+ of the guests do in fact follow the code so the staff in most cases doesn't really have to enforce the code. We must assume that for some there are luggage problems or other valid reasons for the occaisional guest underdressed. Even on Carnival which some love to bash, (not sure why) I've found that 90% observe the requested standard of dress.

:D Does anyone else ever wonder about the "I'll Dress Anyway I Wish Folks" .... ???? :D

How do they dress AT HOME for Formal Events? What do they wear to Nice Restaurants AT HOME? :confused:

Just wondering? Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Well, I love to dress up and hubby obliges, not eagerly but obliges none the less. I am not terribly bothered by those wearing less formal wear and don't judge them and their choice of vacation because of their clothes. Mom taught me long ago that wasn't polite. I have to say however, the name calling done on these threads by those that consider themselves "elegant and refined" amazes me. I have read so many put downs and generalizations on this board about this topic. I particularly dislike posters using the term "most of us" and "we are trying" etc. Please don't presume to speak for all cruisers...This will be my last visit to this thread. Hope you all have grand trips.

[font=System][color=lime]OCruiser,,,, Taint none of your BUISINESS,,,,, :mad: Thats how they all dress...:eek: [/color][/font]

[font=System][color=#00ff00]Like I said all you SO called & SO "claimed" dresser uppers need to check your mirrors before leaving your staterooms...:o I would'nt put those RAGS on my poor CAT!!!! :confused: And you call your selves REFINED,,,,,,huhhhhhhhhhhh:p [/color][/font]

[quote name='gkm']Nicely said. I also enjoy being able to wear my dressy clothes. It does change the way I feel, and if I'm at a table where others are not following the dress code for the day, I think it takes away from the experience. Because the office setting has become more and more casual, most of us do not get much of a chance to dress in our "finer" clothes. I think it makes the evening and dinner more special when everyone abides by the set rules. [/QUOTE]

I agree. I like the dress codes. I guess that's why I'll be on the Galaxy in October again. PS - And, just for the record, I'm not an old fart!

Nancy
:)

OK :D :D :D

[quote name='ecslady']I agree. I like the dress codes. I guess that's why I'll be on the Galaxy in October again. PS - And, just for the record, I'm not an old fart!

Nancy
:)[/QUOTE]

Folks,

I believe we are dealing with a child/young person here. That would be NiniB. The first clue I think is the neon green font. It's quite a popular color right now. I have sandals the same green. I think she/he, more than likely a she, is just trying to stir things up. We are fueling the fire. She's loving it. It's time to ignore her.

Someone made a comment, it could have been NiniB, that they paid for the cruise and would wear what they like. Well, I know a lot of people who pay a lot more than the price of a cruise to have their children in private schools. If the child shows up wearing anything other than the uniform, they get sent home. Even though the parents have forked over big bucks there is still a dress code.

I will have no problem at all reminding the staff at a formal or informal night that someone is grossly underdressed for the occassion. If they let a few do it one night, how can they say anything to those who do it the following nights?

[quote name='Tom Hagan']I'll wear what I darn well please. You people have nerve trying to tell me what to wear.[/QUOTE]
[font=Century Gothic][size=3]We the people of the [b][color=red]XSNOBS[/color][/b] are not telling you what you should wear. Celebrity, or whatever cruiseline you choose will clearly state what the dresscode is for the cruise that you will be on. We are simply reviewing the typical dresscode for a Celebrity cruise and what is deemed appropriate attire.[/size][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][size=3]For my DH and I, dressing up is an exciting part of our vacation. I wear business suits everyday, and DH dresses very casual for work. It is not often that we really get to "[i]clean up our act[/i]" and dress up. DH is already talking about the new suit that he wants to buy for our upcoming cruise in December. He owns a Tux and buys a new bow tie for each cruise, as well. An exciting part of planning for our vacation on a cruise is planning our outfits for dinner each night. I agree, that this is not for everyone - I am just telling you how it is for us.[/size][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][size=3]The dresscode is one reason that we were attracted to Celebrity in the first place. We want to be in an elegant atmosphere, because if one is in that type of atmosphere, one is typically treated elegantly as part of the whole experience. [/size][/font]

I have been on many Celebrity cruises and really have not seen anyone not dressed to the dress code. We always dress appropriately and I want to know what kind of a nut dresses their cat? Sometimes I think we get people on this board who just want to start an argument so they say they will wear anything they want. I just have not seen them on Celebrity and hope I never do. If that makes me an XSNOB then I am proud of it. Pat

[quote name='Tom Hagan']I'll wear what I darn well please. You people have nerve trying to tell me what to wear.[/QUOTE]We're not telling you what to wear...we are insisting that Celebrity enforce it's dress code as clearly stated...they can tell you what to wear.

Archived