XSNOBS...Barbarians at the gate!!!

Danno

Tom...Nice attachment...just about says it all. I can't believe you thought [b]THAT[/b] would shock anyone. I don't expect you have or will ever cruise, but thanks for dropping in.

Here we go again. Please don't leave this board because you feel people are mean to you. Its the same people over and over again.
My husband & I dress formally every day but when we go on a cruise we dress appropriately but if I feel like changing into something more casual after dinner - that's my business.
I don't care what other people do - that's up to them - it doesn't affect me. Let live!

Tom Hagan -- I think that was uncalled for and rude:mad:

NiniB -- your color is horrible but I suppose you are trying to get a "rise" out of posters here. And, you are rude as well. If you don't like the thread don't post here.

Now, as to the topic -- my hubby and I like to dress up. We look forward to it. If you don't like to follow the dress codes established by Celebrity (ie formal nights) there are alternatives to going to the main restaurant. Use them.

Lucy

[quote name='LMKohler']Tom Hagan -- I think that was uncalled for and rude:mad:

NiniB -- your color is horrible but I suppose you are trying to get a "rise" out of posters here. And, you are rude as well. If you don't like the thread don't post here.

Now, as to the topic -- my hubby and I like to dress up. We look forward to it. If you don't like to follow the dress codes established by Celebrity (ie formal nights) there are alternatives to going to the main restaurant. Use them.

Lucy[/QUOTE]
AMEN to you Lucy.....

I must say that on our Infinity cruise (a couple of weeks ago), I was very disappointed to see that there were no more than a handful of men in tuxes. I really had to search through all the men to find a few in tuxes. I'd estimate no more than about 5 - 10%. DH rented a tux - we like to rent - it's there when you get on the ship, have not had a problem with sizing, etc. on either of the 2 cruises we've been on (only been on 2 - but since I'm addicted, the number will soon grow exponentially!)

There were more tuxes on the 4 day caribean cruise we went on on RCL than on the Celebrity Infinity. Maybe it was because it was in Alaska, a casual environment - but that shouldn't have mattered. The fact is the restaurant is a fine dining establishment and formal means formal, whether you are in a casual environment like Alaska or not! I'm only guessing as to that being the reason - but I sure hope the # of tuxes is not declining. DH and I thoroughly enjoy dressing for formal nights. Part of the excitement of getting ready for the cruise is shopping for new formals and other cruise clothes - maybe that's just me though!

Why people CHOOSE a cruiseline with a reputation for a certain standard of dress (or behavior) and then seem to take pleasure in ramming their "rights and independence" down others' throats. It isn't about being "better" than someone, just the type of surroundings you would like to enjoy.

All this talk about someone else's dress shouldn't ruin your fun is crap. Of course it shouldn't, but it isn't just about the threads on the body. The concept of dining in an atmosphere you don't do routinely is a major attraction for many people. If you want to crash the party and force your views, then you are being obnoxious for the simple sake that you can do it. If you want an all casual dress code, choose it. But it is not reasonable or at all considrate to go into a defined setting and refuse to go along with WHAT YOU KNEW IT WAS BEFORE YOU WENT.

Common courtesy has lost the battle with the attitude that "I paid my money and can do what I want - bite me". It's way beyond a tie or no tie issue. Some people deliberately mock the standards that are clearly published and that's sad. The dress code is just one issue of many. Smoking, "free-range" children, public drunkeness, chair-hogging and many more are just examples of this attitude.

I am proud that I am considerate of others and can enjoy myself whether you are too, or if you are expressing your "rights". But why don't you choose an environment where more people are independent like you? Oh wait, that would be chaos and you'd rather create it for others than deal with it from them.

OK, by soapbox is now being put away.

[quote name='catmand'] I am always bothered by the "why should I go out and buy something I will never wear again" comments.[/QUOTE]

People would be surprised...

I bought a tux to wear out for New Years Eve 1999-2000. I've since worn it on two cruises, and at my wedding. I'll be wearing it on our Jan. cruise on Century as well.

I'd say that tux has more than paid for itself in rentals.

That was a good find on a used dark suit too. People should also remember that if you don't want to put down 200-300 on a new tux, check out the rental inventory at the local tux shop. They often sell rental stuff at huge discounts.

bob278 - I hope there are other reasons besides the dress code in the restaurant why you choose X. Those reasons are probably the same for the people who do not feel they need to follow dress code. Dinner is such a small portion of the cruise. People choose X for the staterooms, quiet atmosphere, excursions, staff etc... If the way someone is dressed really will ruin your vacation then maybe it is time for a new line. I hope that is not the case. I personally follow dress code (we won't be in a gown and tux) but we will be dressed formally. But someone who is in a sundress and/or a sport coat with no tie is not going to ruin my meal and it shouldn't for anyone else. That is all I am saying.

ElaineB2 - I am assuming that the men were in a dark suit if not a tux right? Was there a time when there were more tuxes then suit? I have had limited cruising experiences but the most I have ever seen was maybe 50/50.

I don't necessarily think you have to wear a tux to the restaurant on a formal night. I believe a dark suit will do just fine. Not everyone wants to buy a tux or rent one. My hubby wears a tux because he enjoys wearing it. Sometimes I think he looks better than I do :D

On our last Summit cruise in March I was surprised to see (or seemed to us at our sitting) that the majority of men were in tuxes on the three formal nights we had. I also don't recall seeing any serious "violations" of the dress code for that evening, but I may have missed someone!!!

[QUOTE] think too often TA's don't educate their clients and on line bookings get no education what so ever[/QUOTE]
Danno, I think this is one of the main problems. A good example is a friend that recently booked his first cruise on Celebrity. We had spent a lot of time looking at the options and talking about the differences in the Premium lines. He had also taken several of our photo albums home - that he and his wife spent much time going through - they contain photos and daily programs, etc.

When they went to the TA recently to pick up their tickets, she told them, "Don't worry about wearing a suit or tux, just a jacket and turtle neck will be fine - you'll find that that's what most people will be wearing."

My comment was that I'd never see it that way and we sail several times each year..... then I let it go.

BB5953,

The dress code is a very small part. As I said, it isn't the clothes, it's the attitude that bothers me.

I don't smoke, but if I choose to sit in a smoking area of a restaurant (possibly to avoid a long wait), I sure as heck wouldn't ask smokers to stop because "I am paying for my meal and should be able to enjoy it without smoke in my face".

Another analogy. If you went to a party that was a masquerade ball, why wouldn't you wear a costume? I know it seems like I'm focusing on the dress code, but that's where this thread went.

My issue is with people who know what they are going into but refuse to go along. Why go?

Short of physical violence, it would be very hard for anyone to stop me from having a wonderful time on a cruise. I don't let others have that much influence on me. But I am really disappointed in how far people have come in ignoring the feelings or desires of those around them.

BB5953,

I agree. But wouldn't it be really great if the rules didn't HAVE to be enforced?

That, in a nutshell is what the XSNOBS are trying to say. "Let's go to a place where the rules are what we agree with and will follow". What a simple concept and darned-near impossible thing to find.

Thanks to the hosts for removing posts that don't really add anything to the discussion - just put there to offend.

Wouldn’t it be nice if there were no world hunger, war or domestic violence? I know you can't really compare the two but my point is there are many things that would be nice unfortunately that is not the way the world works. And as the saying goes if you give people and inch they will take a yard or if you post rules and don't enforce them you can't expect people to follow.

I can't solve world peace or hunger or even domestic violence. But I [b]CAN[/b] address things in my little world.

I won't hit my wife and I won't go out of my way to break rules. Hey, it's a little thing, but it's a start. And in the XSNOBS, I have some company.

How can that be a bad thing and why does it p!$$ so many people off?

[font=System][color=lime]Hey TOM I want an outfit like that ( plastic bag getuppp)......;) [/color][/font]
[font=System][color=#00ff00][/color][/font]
[font=System][color=#00ff00]Why dont you wear it on your next X cruise, maybe "Captains" night or somthing really stand out...:D [/color][/font]
[font=System][color=#00ff00]All the blah, blah blah still going on about how you folks think your gonna "MAKE" people adhere to "DRESS CODES"...:rolleyes: Get with the REAL WORLD folks it's NOT going to happen!!! NOT just cause little ol' me said SO,,, because face facts,,,, people are going to DO WHAT THEY WANT >>>> FACT OF LIFE!!! :eek: [/color][/font]
[font=System][color=#00ff00]Now you guys know that you can't change peoples behavior:p , or you SHOULD,, [/color][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][b][i]NiniB,[/i][/b][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][b][/b][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][b][i]At the risk of repeating myself, some people on here have way too much idle time in their lives. BTW I still love those [color=lime]GREEN FONTS. "Imagine that y'all." ;) [/color][/i][/b][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][b][i][color=lime][/color][/i][/b][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][b][i][color=lime][color=cyan]Bill [/color] [/color][/i][/b][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]

[quote name='NiniB']
[font=System][color=#00ff00]Now you guys know that you can't change peoples behavior:p , or you SHOULD,, [/color][/font][/QUOTE]

Archived