Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

dmfriedman

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=494

The link above is on Cruise Critic. My wife has attempted making this with limited success. The flavor is perfect, but cooking it long enough to get the crispy top and yet still have the hot liquid center has proved to a challenge. I'm no chef, but my guess is they are cooking it in a convection oven...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=494

The link above is on Cruise Critic. My wife has attempted making this with limited success. The flavor is perfect, but cooking it long enough to get the crispy top and yet still have the hot liquid center has proved to a challenge. I'm no chef, but my guess is they are cooking it in a convection oven...

Increase the oven temperature. This will cause the outside to cook more rapidly, without affecting the center as much. You'll have to experiment a little, and may have to shorten the cooking time a little.

I had some kind of melting/flourless chocolate cake in a restaurant in NYC a few weeks ago and was more than a bit disappointed -- I was wondering how close it was to the Carnival dessert I keep hearing raves about.... Guess I'll know in 38 days... :D

I haven't had time to read every single post here, but for anyone who is interested in getting a professionally translated version you might try requesting it at epicurious.com. Both Bon Appetit and Gourmet have regular sections where people write in and ask for recipes from restaurants (or cruise ships, etc.). I was able to get a recipe published for the Goat Cheese Souffle served in Celebrity, so I think it's likely you could all get this one (especially if enough of you ask for it).

I'll be sure to try this on my cruise in September!!!

I had the warm chocolate melting cake every night with an extra scoop of ice cream. Each night it was a little different in consistency. First night, it was a bit liquidly in the middle. After that it was either like pudding or like a brownie. I guess it is hard to get it exactly consistent each time, but it was the absolute best dessert on the menu, hands down IMHO, and I tried a few others just to be sure!

I am desperately hoping someone might be able to get a recipe for Carnival's warm chocolate melting cake -- the one that's now on the alternative menu every night. My girlfriend fell in love with it and now I want to be able to make it for her.

If anyone can help, it'd be greatly appreciated!

I've made the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake three times. It is absolutely out of this world delicious. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients -------Makes 8, 4oz servings

8oz dark chocolate (1 1/3 cup semi sweet choc chips)

8 oz butter (1 stick salted, 1 stick unsalted)

5 eggs (room temp)

5/8 cup sugar

2/3 cup flour

Powdered sugar to taste

Directions

Melt chocolate and butter over low heat. In a mixing bowl, mix eggs & sugar and then add flour. Slowly wisk into the chocolate mixture. Pour into greased 4oz ramekins (Bakers Joy). Bake at 400 degrees F for 12-13 minutes. Add powdered sugar and serve

Voilla, there you have it. The first time I made it, I cooked it for 14 minutes and thought it was overcooked. Everyone else thought it was to die for. The last two times I cooked it at 12 minutes and it was fabulous. Once again, everyone thought it was to die for.:)

I had the Chocolate Melting Cake and I dont get it...It was just warm thick grainy choclate syrup...Nothing cake about it whatsoever..It tasted ok and I poured it over my icecream...Did I get a bad undercooked one??Or is it supposed to be that way??

Nope, that's how it is...delish huh:eek:

I didn't realize warm meant watery. I thought it would be solid warm chocolate cake. I ate around 3 bites and my stomach couldn't take it anymore. They top looks normal and firm but it was like a bowl of chocolate sauce...something a little kid with an extreme sugar high would want:eek:

Crystal, it sounds like yours wasn't cooked long enough:( . The center should be like a soft fudge. It is very tasty when cooked properly:) . Hope you have better luck next time...

I had the warm chocolate melting cake every night with an extra scoop of ice cream. Each night it was a little different in consistency. First night, it was a bit liquidly in the middle. After that it was either like pudding or like a brownie. I guess it is hard to get it exactly consistent each time, but it was the absolute best dessert on the menu, hands down IMHO, and I tried a few others just to be sure!

We had the same issue on our recent Legend cruise....we had 12 of us at our table and there were always at least 3 orders for the Chocolate Melting Cake...I got tired of the inconsistency (when it says "Cake" don't give me hot chocolate!) and stopped ordering it. When properly prepared it IS delicious, but Carnival needs to figure out how to be more consistent.

For the record, I thought the best dessert was the Grand Marnier Souffle offered the last night.

Thank you all for the recipes. I want to make this for a group of about 3-dozen and I don't have enough ramekins, so I decided to experiment with cupcake size portions. I drafted my family to do taste tests on various timings tonight, and here's what we came up with.

Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (serves 12)

7 oz. (2 bars) gourmet dark chocolate with 70% cacao*

8 oz. butter

5 eggs

3/4 c. sugar

1 c. flour

- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

- Melt butter and chocolate together over low heat. Stir until smooth, then let cool.

- Beat eggs with sugar until light, then stir in flour.

- Stir chocolate mixture into egg mixture.

- Line a muffin pan with cupcake papers. Divide batter evenly among the 12 cake papers.

- Bake 9 minutes.

- Dust cakes with powdered sugar and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

* I used chocolate that's kept with the candy bars instead of the baking supplies in my grocery store.

We had the same issue on our recent Legend cruise....we had 12 of us at our table and there were always at least 3 orders for the Chocolate Melting Cake...I got tired of the inconsistency (when it says "Cake" don't give me hot chocolate!) and stopped ordering it. When properly prepared it IS delicious, but Carnival needs to figure out how to be more consistent.

For the record, I thought the best dessert was the Grand Marnier Souffle offered the last night.

Same thing here. On a 5 night cruise, our table ordered about 7 WMCC and they were all bad....I rememeber having it years ago and it being good. No idea where they have gone wrong...

I am desperately hoping someone might be able to get a recipe for Carnival's warm chocolate melting cake -- the one that's now on the alternative menu every night. My girlfriend fell in love with it and now I want to be able to make it for her.

If anyone can help, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Here is a copy of the recipe directly from John Healds (Carnivals senior and BEST cruise director) Blog...enjoy...he says it will be added to Carnivals Cookbook soon.

MELTING CHOCOLATE CAKE:

1 lb Black chocolate

1 lb Unsalted Butter

10 ea Eggs Whole

4 oz Sugar granulated

5.5 oz Flour H &R

METHOD:

• Melt the chocolate & butter

• Mix the eggs & sugar and whisk for few minutes, add the flour

• Add the egg mix to the melted chocolate and mix

• Pour the mix in a greased mould.

• Bake directly in the oven at 200 C° for 12 minutes

Note: - Please make sure that the eggs are at room temperature and chocolate is warm enough while making the mixture

Before I had ever had the chocolate melting cake on Carnival ( and I didn't know any better- HA) we had ordered them from QVC ... M14065 - Chef Georges Perrier (8) 4.4 oz Molten Lava Cake for $25.47. Not sure if they are still available or not... but they are wonderful also.

Here it is, from razzledazzlerecipes.com

10 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate,chopped

4 Tablespoons unsalted butter

5 eggs

1/2 cup sugar

3/4 cups all purpose flour

1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

caramel sauce, optional

vanilla ice cream

Heat oven to 325. Lightly coat a 12 cup muffin tin with vegetable spray.

Melt the chocolate and butter in a large bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat. In another bowl, beat the eggs and sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and melted chocolate. Mix with a spoon until well blended.

Divide the batter into 8 muffin tins and bake until the cakes have baked through, about 15 minutes. The cakes will still look a bit moist on top. Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes. Serve warm with caramel sauce and ice cream.

• 3 weeks later...

I do have the recipe for the chocolate melting cake. Our waiter gave it to us. The only problem is that the recipe is for 1000 people, so you will have to do some math!

70 lbs. of semi sweet chocolate

70 lbs of butter

700 fresh eggs

18 lbs of sugar

25 lbs of flour

- Melt chocolate and butter

- Mix half egg and sugar and whisk for few minutes then add flour.

then add the balance of the egg.

- Add egg mixture to the melted chocolate mixture

- Pour the mixture in the 2 oz ramekin cups

- Bake directly in the oven at 200 C for 15 to 20 minutes

- Serve with vanilla ice cream in 2 oz ramekin cups

garnish with sweet chocolate and powdered sugar

I do have the recipe for the chocolate melting cake. Our waiter gave it to us. The only problem is that the recipe is for 1000 people, so you will have to do some math!

70 lbs. of semi sweet chocolate

70 lbs of butter

700 fresh eggs

18 lbs of sugar

25 lbs of flour

- Melt chocolate and butter

- Mix half egg and sugar and whisk for few minutes then add flour.

then a the balance of the egg.

- Add egg mixture to the melted chocolate mixture

- Pour the mixture in the 2 oz ramekin cups

- Bake directly in the oven at 200 C for 15 to 20 minutes

- Serve with vanilla ice cream in 2 oz ramekin cups

garnish with sweet chocolate and powdered sugar

awwwwwwww....DAMMMM......there goes my DIET:eek:

We just got back from a back to back 9 day cruise on the Fantasy and we had the Melting cake EVERY night, in addition to other great desserts. My DW is a fabulous baker and she wanted the recipe so badly, but Carnival wouldn't give it to her. After coming to this thread to hopefully acquire the recipe, she is very confused. After going thru all pages of this thread, we now have about 55 different recipes for the exact same item. Maybe trial and error will yield the correct one.

• 1 month later...
I begged our maitre'd for the recipe. The one I have is autographed by the head chef on the Pride.... good luck with conversions.

For ten Portion:

375g Black Chocolate 64% (very important not to use other types of choc)

375g Butter (not margarine)

8ea Egg yolk

7ea egg whites

250g sugar

170g sifted flour

-Melt the chocolate and the butter together until 64 Celsius

-Blend the egg yolks, egg whites and the sugar together then add the butter-chocolate mixture

add the flour, using a wisk

Put it in the forms (prepare with butter and flour) and leave it for one day in the fridge

bake directly in the oven at 200celsius for 8 minutes

This one is the best recipe!! I tried it last night and it came out wonderfully. I have a small kitchen scale that measures in grams so that was easy.

I only had to make one adjustment, I had to keep it in the oven for 12 minutes instead of 8 at 400F, but I am sure that varies by ovens. Also I used the Ghiradelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate, which made it taste just like Carnival's. It was so easy to make and I am not a baker!