Coffee makers - a solution

flutepilot

I just got a brilliant idea today - and don't know why I did not think of it before.

Nissan (Thermos) makes a wonderful and virtually indestructable stainless steel, insulated French Press. I use mine for camping and don't know why I did not think of it before.

Yes, this would entail a trip upstairs, but the hot water for tea should work great in there and, voila! you have your own coffee at the strength you want!

Just a thought.

Dan

Why not...I always bring my George Foreman grill along to grill the fish I catch while trolling from the veranda---hint---those leftover appetizer shrimp and sushi from the bar make great bait

Who knows,maybe next time I'll bring some sterno and toast marshmellows and chestnuts in my cabin.

Why not...I always bring my George Foreman grill along to grill the fish I catch while trolling from the veranda---hint---those leftover appetizer shrimp and sushi from the bar make great bait

Who knows,maybe next time I'll bring some sterno and toast marshmellows and chestnuts in my cabin.

What size crowbar do you use to get your tongue out of your cheek?:eek: :D

Dan

I just got a brilliant idea today - and don't know why I did not think of it before.

Nissan (Thermos) makes a wonderful and virtually indestructable stainless steel, insulated French Press. I use mine for camping and don't know why I did not think of it before.

Yes, this would entail a trip upstairs, but the hot water for tea should work great in there and, voila! you have your own coffee at the strength you want!

Just a thought.

Dan

We take our stainless steel French Press with us and order room service hot water and make our own coffee. If the person sounds confused, we ask for hot he and use the water for our coffee. Works great!

I always thought the coffee on X was pretty good especially compared to the syrup based that Princess serves. Is that changing and should I pack my coffee pot for my next X cruise?

We were on the Zenith in July, no syrup-based coffee in sight. The coffee was okay.

I always thought the coffee on X was pretty good especially compared to the syrup based that Princess serves. Is that changing and should I pack my coffee pot for my next X cruise?

Actually, we found the coffee on X was pretty good also. The only problem for us is that we are used to a coffee shop nearby which is family owned where they roast on site and spend many extra hours figuring out the exact roast for each new coffee that comes in the door. They even have some decafs that have fooled everybody in blind tastings when they were mixed in with 'normal' coffees. That being said, we can put up with X's coffee for a week. I just thought I'd put out the suggestion about the SS French Press for others to consider.

Dan & Judy

We've never used a coffee press but have considered giving one a try.

On our past three cruises we've actually taken an inexpensive coffee maker (runs us $10 to $20) and then left it on board if we didn't have room to get it on the plane back with us.

We really have found the room service, and most lido/cafe coffee in both Celebrity and Princess to be very bad at least some of the time, if not all the time. Coffee in dining room is usually OK, and coffee at the espresso coffee bars is pretty good.

Wa-mama,

What is your coffee maker called? Where did you buy it? I luv REAL coffee (I'm a Starbucks fan) and usually avoid it on cruises...then get a caffeine withdrawal headache :) Thanks

spengle,

I purchased mine at a place called Fred Meyer's - went back the next day to get more for gifts, and they were all gone! You can order them online at the Bodum site, they're about $10. REI also makes two other styles, but this one is my favorite.

Seattle-ites gotta have their coffee! No debate with me about the quality of Celebrity's coffee - it's downright undrinkable.

One drawback about the travel french press though - I never figured out a polite way of cleaning out the grounds - had a great room steward who didn't fuss, but it can be messy.

I love the coffee pot idea and sometimes take one to Vegas as the hotel rooms (other than suites) never have a coffee pot. I never thought of taking one on a cruise but it makes sense. What I would really love is if there was one supplied in the room. I would be more than willing to make my own coffee in the morning or make a cup to enjoy in the afternoon. We usually book a balcony and love to wake up and have our coffee in our own little personal paradise. The problem is, we now hesitate to hang the breakfast menu on the outside of the door before going to bed as we don't know what time we want to wake up. Sometimes it is too early and sometimes we don't have the patience to wait. We kind of feel guilty calling to get just coffee when we had the option to order this the previous night....well, not too guilty but just a little. Does anyone know if they have similar rules to that of bringing an iron onboard ... cannot imagine they would. Thanks for the great idea....our next cruise does not include a flight so may just look into that coffee maker in the room idea.

Thanks for the info about the small coffee press. I appreciate that some people like the onboard coffee....but I really like MY coffee my way and this will work well. Don't mind so much on a short cruise, but we have plans for a B2B trip down under in 2008 and one month without good coffee would be more annoying to me. Not that it would keep me from having a good time, but sitting on our first balcony with a good morning cup sounds heavenly....

Thanks for the info about the small coffee press. I appreciate that some people like the onboard coffee....but I really like MY coffee my way and this will work well. Not that it would keep me from having a good time, but sitting on our first balcony with a good morning cup sounds heavenly....

Enjoy your coffee!:D

...The problem is, we now hesitate to hang the breakfast menu on the outside of the door before going to bed as we don't know what time we want to wake up. Sometimes it is too early and sometimes we don't have the patience to wait. We kind of feel guilty calling to get just coffee when we had the option to order this the previous night....well, not too guilty but just a little. Does anyone know if they have similar rules to that of bringing an iron onboard ... cannot imagine they would...

We love our coffee on the veranda in the morning, and afternoon too - which is why we've been bringing a pot. Never got mentioned by anyone on board. I do feel a little wasteful just throwing it away afterward, even if it is just a $10 or $15 coffee pot. But even those cheap ones brew pretty good coffee, unlike the stuff on board. I've read that some other lines even provide the little pots like you see in hotel rooms, but not Celebrity.

We too only use the hang cards when we want to be woken at a specific time - such as when we have an early excursion. Otherwise we stay flexible and wake up when we wake up. But I've never thought twice about picking up the phone and ordering coffee (when we didn't have our own pot). Just a pot of coffee usually comes pretty fast. Often your steward brings it.

Can't beat the French press! We've taken it on cruises before. Our last X cruise they ground real beans though. Cafe Britt is the official coffee of X now. If you want to take your press, I'm sure if you just write in hot water on your breakfast card it would be delivered with your meal.

Can't beat the French press! We've taken it on cruises before. Our last X cruise they ground real beans though. Cafe Britt is the official coffee of X now. If you want to take your press, I'm sure if you just write in hot water on your breakfast card it would be delivered with your meal.

Was there a big improvement in all coffee - even room service coffee?

We used to pack all of our kitchen appliances, dishes, silverwear, sheets, pillows, etc. But these new luggage regulations have made that quite difficult. I have also heard rumors that Celebrity will start charging a "coffee" fee (this is a corkage fee for coffee) for those that bring their own coffee.

Hank

I'm really wondering what all this has to do with a coffee press? :confused:

Was there a big improvement in all coffee - even room service coffee?

It's very drinkable but a little on the weak side for me. On the Millie they had bean grinders on top of the coffee makers. A huge improvement over the syrup of cruises past. It can't be compared to the strong, smooth coffee of a French press.

Archived