What is wrong with the Destiny?

mac4cruise

I got off the Destiny a few weeks ago and had a great time. The air was not a problem. sorry I just wanted to add that

Bran- hey.... did you post your review yet?? Love to hear it or did I miss it completely?? Sounds like you guys had a great time, but all I did see was you "teasing" us about it :)

Here ya go..

Is anyone out there? I think our roll call died. Guess that happens after a cruise...:( I was just thinking about everyone today and all the fun times we had and thought I'd stop in and say hello!! Is anyone serious about doing it again next year? On another ship? We could start talking about it if anyone's interested ????

You are absolutely right..your perogative. Have fun! :rolleyes:

Yes, that was a post I left quite a while ago on our Conquest rollcall board. You must be reading ALL of my posts on CC (which you're welcome to do). One of the guys on our rollcall wanted to get together again on the Conquest next year. A couple of us girls are talking about planning another cruise. But, like I said......"another ship". We're thinking about either Princess or RCCL, which we've never tried before. I don't believe I mentioned Carnival in that post. We are also dicussing flying to the Virgin Islands and staying "on land" for 7-10 days and island hopping on the ferrys.:rolleyes:

I can. If the locals drink' date=' it is usually only beer you see them with. Beer is cheaper than the foo-foo drinks. No wonder the ship runs out.[/quote']

When we were on (both times)- many, many passengers from the UK and Canada and lots of us from the Midwest - January is a great time for us to escape the frozen tundra~! DH likes his beer - has nothing to do with price for us. You are absolutly right..a nice long "beer happy hour" would have been great!!! :D

Thanks! Less than a month ago you were inquiring about planning another Carnival Cruise...and raving about your last one..now your ready to ditch all of Carnival because of the Destiny? A bit extreme don't you think?

IMHO, the a/c issue has been beat to death on several boards.

ANYWAY! Thank you! I will be happy to sit in the sun on any ship, foo-foo drink in hand with the others who don't mind sailing with Carnival! :rolleyes:

Oh....and that post I made on the Conquest rollcall board was dated 9/20, which was four days before I left to go on the Destiny.

That too would be a little difficult. There are no balconies on the Riviera Deck. :rolleyes:
:D LOL :D

Ok, I guess I'm a schizophrenic because I can agree with both sides of this topic coin. :p

I want to know there are problems if there are. I feel people have a right to share their experiences with the public so we will be before warned. But I also want to think positive and go and have myself a good ole time and hope like hell that I have air. :eek:

"Their air probably was fine and they probably had a great time. And there are others whose air didn't work and their cruise sucked. Why is it so impossible to think that both conditions existed on the same ship on the same cruise? You hold the naysayers up as god yet discount those who had a good experience. Are they liars? Who are we to believe? Is it possible that both parties experienced opposite situations, yet both are telling the truth? What I find odd ( and somewhat creepy) is why you are so obssessed with your bash Destiny crusade and yet you have never been on the ship to have a first hand experience of your own. What is your agenda?"

Well said.

I don't recall many folks that actually cruised on the Destiny complaining about the staff, but sharecruisers, who hasn't sailed on the Destiny has brought up the issue over and over again. They posted it on this thread an hour or so ago as well, so I just wanted to try to substantiate the staffing somewhat based on what I do know. I do not know the backend of the cruise industry though, just a similar one.

A regular poster here who is mostly pro carnival has posted that her balcony window had fruit juice stains on it all week...not cleaned

she also posted that the cabin steward had many more cabins to clean than the usual number on other ships

someone else posted the ratio....

so again...best to be proactive...this might be a good place to tip in advance and take the tips off if you don't enjoy the service

as for the seating in dining room..from what I have read the ships that often are more multilingual/multicultural, like european/italian lines sailing in europe, all make a point of seating english speaking people, french speaking, italian etc with others who speak their language

I think that it would be wise to see the matre d and make sure that your dining arrangements are acceptable....

being stuck in the midst of a huge quinceria party group or something would be hellish IMHO

I will also say that I am really getting sick of nasty remarks to me...I have said I never was on this ship..and frankly I would not choose it.

I will refer the next group of unhappy cruisers to the destiny cheerleaders...maybe you can cheer them up ??

I am just trying to get some practical info and put out some ideas to help people proactively improve their cruise...of course, if Carnival decided to fix the mechanical problems that would be a real step ahead

I find it really odd that people seem to want others to shut up about the a/c problem on this ship, and use posts that say "My air was fine, had a great time" etc..

What will you say to these future destiny cruisers if they come back on board and say their cabin was one of the unlucky ones?

The physical problems that this ONE ship has had on a regular basis set it apart from others in the fleet...and the ratio of staff to passengers. The fact is that this ONE ship has significantly less crew who are more overworked,

and possibly get tipped less due to the cut rate prices they offer the locals

I live in Florida, and trust me we do NOT sail for port fees only or anything near that cheap....another thing on this ONE cruise is that Carnival seems to offer lots of 3rd/4th person deals so that the ship is sailing very full, and this may also impact the crew/passenger ratio

The ports look great....and yes ultimately you can "make your own fun"

BUT to gloss over the problems is simply ridiculous

I have friends going on this in Nov....some tips are 1) ask for a fan right away if you have a problem...2) report a problem right away, try to get room moved if you have any air problems. 3) as someone else said, tip in advance...and if the service does not improve remove tips at the end

this might also work to your advantage in the dining room too....if you do not like your tablemates see the matre d right away to get changed, maybe tip waiter in advance also ? make sure you get english speaking tablemates and even see if you can seated in an area of like minded tablemates as I would hate like hell to be in the midst of family reunions, quiencerias, and huge party hearty groups of 20 somethings

The buffet sounds pretty bad on this cruise so either stand your ground or

maybe order room service or eat in the dining room..again I would insist to be seated with english speaking people

Another option ? Port intensive, so just eat lunch everyday on land at local places....conch fritters, grilled lobster, yum...maybe some of the island places have the steel bands and carribean music to enjoy if it is lacking on the ship

IF the service really sucks ...and there have been individual reports of this on this ship especially....you can remove the tips at the end of the week, although I wouldn't usually advise that or do that myself, in this case it might be a good statement....also comment cards

Music?? Again be proactive....request songs...ask where the music is, talk to the staff, and if all else fails hear the steel bands on the islands and remove the tips, leave comment cards and let them know you are coming back to this and other boards to complain

Before you accuse me of being a complainer, let me say I had wonderful serivce and people on Imagination and left the tips on and tipped more in cash at end of cruise....but I do think that sometimes you have to "vote with your tips". This ONE cruise may require it

Have a great time...but remember that on this ship the squeaky wheel gets the grease, onboard credit, cold air and decent service

ShareCruises, I agree....Those are great tips! Hopefully your friends will go with these tips in mind and enjoy their cruise. That's great that you're reading the reviews for them. I wish I would have done so before my cruise. It's too bad you were bashed over your post. I thought it was very positive.

Sorry about the mistaken. We were on deck 6, room 6298 which I believe was upper deck.

That's what a few cocktails will do to ya, huh? :p :D All the decks start running together...... I have ended up on the wrong deck trying to get into "My" Cabin before.

Carnival lies at the bottom and it's a well known fact.

Actually it's a commonly voiced opinion, not a "well known fact". It's also a highly disputed opinion. Be careful not to confuse "more expensive" with "better". :)

Actually it's a commonly voiced opinion, not a "well known fact". It's also a highly disputed opinion. Be careful not to confuse "more expensive" with "better". :)

I agree with you there.... I have cruise on Celebrity and wouldn't call it better even though it cost me 2-1/2 times the amount of Carnival. They are different, that's all. Depends on the cruise experience you're looking for really. I like fun with "real" people, so Carnival is great for me. I have thought about trying WindStar though for something different.

I am amazed by those people who defend the ship without having actually experienced it firsthand.

We were one of the lucky people with litlle or no AC. We had a balcony on the Riviera deck.

That too would be a little difficult. There are no balconies on the Riviera Deck. :rolleyes:
C'mon, this has got to be the post of the week, if not the month...! :p

Sorry about the mistaken. We were on deck 6, room 6298 which I believe was upper deck.
Oooo, nice back peddle. ;)

Not sure about others, but I always remember what deck I'm on..... I can tell you exactly what decks I was on for all my cruises, but damned if I could remember the exact cabin number.

I was one of the people who said the staff was short during our week. I dont know if its like that all the time.

Our cabin steward had to clean 26 cabins. I did not see him with a help as I did in past cruises.

Our dining room waiter and asst waiter-- 2 people-- had to service 4 tables. 2 tables of 8 and 2 tables for 4. I feel that is too many tables for 2 people. Service was very slow. We only ate in there on Sunday- (which is opened seating) Monday and tuesday-- neither day we even got to look at a dessert menu= and it was 8:15. I dont like holding up people and know that the next seating is in 15 minutes. We opted the buffet the rest of the week.

It was not a problem for us to do that--- I just didnt like the long waits between courses.

C'mon, this has got to be the post of the week, if not the month...! :p

Oooo, nice back peddle. ;)

Not sure about others, but I always remember what deck I'm on..... I can tell you exactly what decks I was on for all my cruises, but damned if I could remember the exact cabin number.

Well I didn't remember the deck, and after reading my mistake, I went and looked it up so as not to look foolish twice. Glad i was able to easily amuse you. But looking at your logos, I see you are always easily amused being a Cubs fan. Go White Sox!! Sorry I couldn't help myself. Now that is the post of the week Cubbie fans!!! LOL!!!

Well I didn't remember the deck, and after reading my mistake, I went and looked it up so as not to look foolish twice. Glad i was able to easily amuse you. But looking at your logos, I see you are always easily amused being a Cubs fan. Go White Sox!! Sorry I couldn't help myself. Now that is the post of the week Cubbie fans!!! LOL!!!

:rolleyes:

Difference between Cubs fans and White Sox fans? We remember where we stayed......

Let's face it, you tried and got caught.

Next please.

I sense lots of anti-Puerto Rican sentiment among some of these posts. The "Uncle Jose" reference was unnecessary and biased.

I agree. Unfortunately it comes up in almost every thread regarding the Destiny. Sometimes you have to bite your tongue though or you get caught up in the heat of the battle and then threads that have useful information get blown away.

(Oh, and since a few other posters were talking baseball ....

GO TIGERS!!!!)

Why it's nice to know that you are never wrong. Must be nice to be perfect.;)
Just like "my" Bears. :D

However, seriously, most everyone I know personally always remembers what deck their on. Even years after their cruises. ;)

You just need to cruise more, then all the decks will fade into "what deck were we on" on that ship ? Then when we were on the ship. Do we turn right or left here, oh oh wrong turn we are on the other side of the ship. Don't think I walked this way before. What deck are we on now ? After a day things work out better. After a year I don't have a clue what deck we were on , on that cruise, just know it was a balcony, don't remember what side we were on. That means its time to go again.:D

You just need to cruise more, then all the decks will fade into "what deck were we on" on that ship ? Then when we were on the ship. Do we turn right or left here, oh oh wrong turn we are on the other side of the ship. Don't think I walked this way before. What deck are we on now ? After a day things work out better. After a year I don't have a clue what deck we were on , on that cruise, just know it was a balcony, don't remember what side we were on. That means its time to go again.:D

I agree..I had to go to the Carnival website to see which cabins we have had. I have a hard enough time remembering my daily things to do lists.. :eek: let alone what room/deck I was on the last cruise...lol!

BUT! I still get excited every time I find out our room number/deck on the next cruise...:D

I've only been on two cruises and couldn't tell you for the life of me what deck I was on. All I know is I was in that one room that has no windows (haha)!

The deck and the room aren't that important to me so I guess I don't pay attention to that aspect of my cruises.

I sense lots of anti-Puerto Rican sentiment among some of these posts. The "Uncle Jose" reference was unnecessary and biased.

I agree. Unfortunately it comes up in almost every thread regarding the Destiny. Sometimes you have to bite your tongue though or you get caught up in the heat of the battle and then threads that have useful information get blown away.

(Oh, and since a few other posters were talking baseball ....

GO TIGERS!!!!)

When many of these threads get poofed, it never seems to occur to the puzzled participants why threads which make generalizations about Puerto Ricans as being "rude," "ghetto," and other disparaging remarks are breaking the rules of the cruise critic message board. We wouldn't tolerate threads which say "Wow, my cruise left from (wherever) and there were so many low income Africans onboard. Can you say "GHETTO?" Never again will I sail from there!" Yet many of us on cruise critic let it pass when these remarks are made about Puerto Ricans.

Archived