I'm embarrassed to ask this, but ...

slavearlen

On Coral and Island Princess, the superstructure is wider midships than fore and aft - and some call this a bumped out section.

Don't know if same holds true for Royal Caribbean - haven't been on them recently.

If you look at a deck plan of the newer RCCL ships, you will see a bulge in the middle of the ship. This creates some unique balconies and can allow for some interesting views from the balcony.

If you look at a deck plan of the newer RCCL ships, you will see a bulge in the middle of the ship. This creates some unique balconies and can allow for some interesting views from the balcony.

Doesn't sound like a bad thing to me. Why is it some people are so upset over being bumped? Gosh, I sound foolish to even me!

Doesn't sound like a bad thing to me. Why is it some people are so upset over being bumped? Gosh, I sound foolish to even me!

Bumped can also be when a large group books the entire ship for the cruise you have already booked. You usually end up being given the choice of one or two other cruises (which may or may not meet your travel plans) or your money back. Sometimes they throw in an onboard credit ($100) if you rebook on their cruise choice. If you book your own flights or have very limited time off work, being bumped can ruin your trip.

Bumped can also be when a large group books the entire ship for the cruise you have already booked. You usually end up being given the choice of one or two other cruises (which may or may not meet your travel plans) or your money back. Sometimes they throw in an onboard credit ($100) if you rebook on their cruise choice. If you book your own flights or have very limited time off work, being bumped can ruin your trip.

Interesting! I've never heard of the cruise lines "putting you off the boat" because they booked a large group AFTER I did. Particularly if the final payment has already been made. If that possibility is real, and I do have my own air to San Juan which is substantial, I would be beyond angry with RCCL. In fact, to the point of taking action against them.

I have had the cruise lines contact me and ask if I would change categories in exchange for a shipboard credit. But I've never had them call and tell me that I've been bumped (without any say in the matter), take it or leave it. That is truely an obsurd thought. Let's hope that is not a reality nor a possibility. Can't see where that would do very much for customer relations.

Thanks Kyriecat for your information!

In all of our years of cruising, I have never heard of being "bumped" off of the voyage that we booked and confirmed. I find this hard to believe. Can someone else verify that they have ACTUALLY been bumped off of their deposited sailing?:rolleyes:

In all of our years of cruising, I have never heard of being "bumped" off of the voyage that we booked and confirmed. I find this hard to believe. Can someone else verify that they have ACTUALLY been bumped off of their deposited sailing?:rolleyes:

JanetMarie, I have never heard of such a thing also but I looked through the posting on cruise critic and sure enough, there is one story for sure in June on the January,2005 Navigator to E.Caribbean. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=23936&highlight=bumped

This is beyond comprehension to me! If a group wants to charter an entire ship, then lay down rules for pete's sake. I.e., book one year in advance, etc. Not sure about you guys, but I plan my trips out by 8 months - 1 year. The primary reason is to take advance of the lower airfare ... da! The airfare through RCCL is higher, or at least it has always been before. I've cruised 6-7 times and never had this happen, but if it did I would not be a very happy camper. RCCL, or any cruise line that does this, should be shot! Pure greed! Groups should be forced to guidelines. There are cruise ships one year in advance that have few bookings, no airfare purchases yet, so put them on that ship! Most people who have booked a cruise with a deposit have already arranged their air.

Does anyone know how frequently this occurs??? Would love to hear from either a RCCL employee or crew/staff member. Talk to us!

Back in December (2003) we booked 6 rooms on the Enchantment of the Seas for November 13, 2004. As we thought others might want to join our family group, I kept checking the price. Suddenly the beginning of February the price jumped and within a day or so our sailing disappeared from the listing. I called both our TA and RCCL and was repeated told not to worry, the ship was "just sold out". Finally in April RCCL called and said the cruise had been chartered and we were out. We were given 2 choices that would hold our price--Halloween or the weekend after Thanksgiving--and a $100 per cabin shipboard credit. That's all.

We had searched for this cruise for months before booking and were trying to coordinate 6 household's schedules. Fortunately none of us had airfare purchased--although they were offering some compensation if airfare was already booked (since it didn't apply to us, I didn't listen carefully). Despite our lack of desire to travel over Halloween, that was our only possible alternative so we're booked for October 30.

I agree with you that this is an absurd practice and terrible PR. RCCL should certainly change this policy, but I suppose as long as the almighty dollar is in control it will continue.

Some have said RCCL has themselves covered on this in their written policies, but I have read them and can't find this situation addressed anywhere. If someone else knows where it is, I'd love to see it.

As to how often this happens--I would guess at 3-8 times per year (possibly more) on this cruise line alone.

Read this http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=53732&highlight=constellation

In all of our years of cruising, I have never heard of being "bumped" off of the voyage that we booked and confirmed. I find this hard to believe. Can someone else verify that they have ACTUALLY been bumped off of their deposited sailing?

I can confirm it too. We booked in March 2004 for the May 29, 2005 AOS sailing and paid our deposits. When the ship was chartered at the end of May 2004, the sailing disappeared from the web site, but we weren't notified that we were actually bumped for a month after that. I've heard of it happening to others, too, and it is ghastly PR.

We were offered 3 alternate sailings that were not acceptable to our group (different itineraries), but our TA was able to negotiate another date with the original itinerary and with our original price protected.

Fortunately for us, we are far enough out that the families going with us can all change their plans, and no one had booked air. Our preferred cabins/locations are not available to us on the new sailing, so our group is more spread out than we would prefer, but that's minor. We're just glad we could resolve this successfully!

Chris

I was bumped off the Grand Princess last year but that was due to the fact that they decided not to send the ship over to the Med last year and so could not do the transatlantic run. They offered to move me to another transatlantic which left a week earlier, a cabin upgrade and a ship board credit. As I hadn't booked the airfare yet and have flexible vacation schedules with work I accepted. :)

Several years ago, on the old Pacific Princess, they oversold a Hawaii/ Ensenada cruise, and we were asked to take a bump off the trip - we declined.

Princess was calling us at late as they day we flew out, offering alternative ships/trips, etc, including a free trip through the Panama in a min-suite.

We had done the Panama, and wanted to do this trip, so again we declined, and took our scheduled cruise. I'm presuming somelse did agree to a bump.

Michael

We did HAL Statendam northbound Alaska back in 2001. We had a tablemate who was booked on a different HAL ship with the the roundtrip Vancouver ittenary which had been over booked. She was from Washington state so she had not booked airfare. They offered her a 2 week cruise back to back on our ship northbound with us and the southbound so she would not need to book air. She also got a balcony suite and shipboard credit. The only thing she had to do was get an extra week off from work- she was able to get the extra week so she was trilled. She got 2 weeks for the price on one with a much nicer cabin and shipboard credit- a really super deal.

You can be bumped off a confirmed cruise reservation for many reasons whether it be a whole ship charter or an unscheduled dry dock, as happened last March with Celebrity's Millennuim. It isn't just RCCL, but virtually all cruise lines reserve the right to do this. Legally, you wouldn't stand a chance. If you read your documentation carefully, you will see that they've addressed this situation. I know RCCL has it in their Terms and Conditions listed in the back of their brochure, as does Carnival. Unfortunate yes, but that is life.

Beth

This is been my first exposure to the "possibility" of being bumped. I knew it happened on occasion but I never knew it happened as often as it does. I've cruised 7 times and so far so good, and to read this thread, I feel extremely lucky but at the same time, my luck is running out and at the rate I cruise, it is bound to happen to me eventually.

The cruise lines probably do have this covered in their documentation, no doubt. The liability would be huge if they neglected to do this. But, the real problem is the overall tremendous success of the cruise industry. Every ship is full and has been for awhile. When business is this good, the company doesn't have to be concerned. They get their money, the passengers, at this point are addicted, they will return, no fear, so why not?

In the 80's corporate America laid off employees right and left. Higher paid executives, employees were laid off to reduce expenses. In that mix were the tenured, experienced employees that made those companies what there were. I was one and sat back and thought, ok, I've given my loyality to you for years, hard work and support and this is the way you treat me. For what? Those people, a large majority of them are the entreprenuers of today. And corporate America is now struggling to find employees with good work ethic, education and experience. Even to the point of hiring retired individuals, just to get their knowledge and expertise because today's workforce is not what it used to be.

The cruise industry is wonderful and has been for awhile and probably will remain so for along time to come. But I assure you that the decision to "dispose" of loyal passengers in order to charter the ship to a one time organization, will eventually takes it's toll. It's all money driven and based on greed.

We can't change their policies or their greed. But we can change our method of travel and our choice of companies we spend our travel dollars with. Being bumped would not suit me one bit so I only hope I never encounter it but if I do,there will be alot to be said about their policies and my future travel choice.

Sorry, guys, but I just had a thought. Where is it written or we informed of the possibility of being bumped when we make our deposits?

When a cruise passenger contacts RCCL in an effort to book a cruise, ultimately putting down the required deposit, the next most obvious thing for them to do is book their flight.

Why is it that the cruise line doesn't inform, either through a written disclaimer or verbally, that this has the potential to occur? Because the bookings would decline, how much, who knows?

But if they did, we would be prepared for that possibility and it could impact our decisions to book air. You notice that there is no travel insurance that includes being "bumped".

It's all about money and bookings. Not about us!!!

Interesting! I've never heard of the cruise lines "putting you off the boat" because they booked a large group AFTER I did. Particularly if the final payment has already been made. If that possibility is real, and I do have my own air to San Juan which is substantial, I would be beyond angry with RCCL. In fact, to the point of taking action against them.

I have had the cruise lines contact me and ask if I would change categories in exchange for a shipboard credit. But I've never had them call and tell me that I've been bumped (without any say in the matter), take it or leave it. That is truely an obsurd thought. Let's hope that is not a reality nor a possibility. Can't see where that would do very much for customer relations.

Thanks Kyriecat for your information!

I have been bumped due to a line chartering out a whole ship. Really ticked me off! I do not use that line any longer.

I have been bumped due to a line chartering out a whole ship. Really ticked me off! I do not use that line any longer.

Gene, that's my point! You no longer use that line! And over time there will be more people who feel this way. This is probably a common practice among cruise lines. What would be interesting is for one of cruise lines to advertise, "unlike other cruise lines, we don't bump passengers for charters." Of course, we all understand mechanical problems, dangerous conditions, etc. That's life. But to bump paying passengers on a repeat cruise who have already booked their air and paid their deposit for a group charter is appalling! Maybe their money is greener than ours! It would be interesting to do an analysis on how many of those charter passengers became repeat passengers with that cruise line because it sounds like they definitely lost one loyal customer ... you!

I haven't heard anyone talking about being bumped off their airline flights. I was bumped one time when the person in front of me bought a one way ticket and even though I was next in line and had bought a round trip ticket I was bumped. Another time they asked for volunteers at the gate about 1/2 an hour before boarding. Since the offer was good and I got onto the next flight in first class I offered to take that bump.

I've always been nervous that I would be bumped on my way to a cruise so I've always made sure that I'm at the airport extra early when going on a cruise.

The leagalise is is in the brochure under Additional Information in the section called "What about advanced or delayed sailings and changes in itenerary?" It states "In the event of strikes, lockouts, riots, weather conditions or mechanical difficulties or for any reason whatsoever, Royal Caribean may at any time and without prior notice cancel, advance, postpone, or deviate from any scheduled sailing or port of call"

This is similiar to the language on the contract for an airline. I know that I have had more than 1 air flight cancelled on me.

Bobbie, thanks for the information. Note the wording:

"In the event of strikes, lockouts, riots, weather conditions or mechanical difficulties or for any reason whatsoever, Royal Caribean may at any time and without prior notice cancel, advance, postpone, or deviate from any scheduled sailing or port of call"

We understand strikes, lockouts, riots, weather conditions or mechanical difficulties! We are talking about being bumped because of a charter. The above issues are uncontrollable .... charters are controllable.

Thanks Bobbie!

Archived