Aft cabin Oosterdam or sister ships

Southwest

Hi,

Anyone been in a cabin at very the back on the Oosterdam or her sister ships? I'm curious about balcony size, are they larger than same cabin categories that are located elsewhere? If you've been in an aft cabin, please let me know how it was. Did you hear a lot of noise from the propeller in the water? Was there a lot of motion? Could people above you look down into your balcony or was it private? Can you look down at the water, or are you looking down at other balconies and decks? How much furniture was on the balcony? Was it bigger than other balconies? Be sure to include the ship you were on, the cabin number if you rember it, the category and the deck you were on. This will be very helpful -- thanks!

This is where I'm calling home this week and have to say that there are both pros and cons to this particular location. To begin with I am sailing alone so the room is plenty big for just one person. The balcony is definitely smaller than the S corner suites in my location but again, it is plenty big for me. At present I have two wicker chairs, a wicker footstool and a small round table out on my balcony. In order to get anything else out there you would definitely need a bigger space or a kind room steward to remove what you don't want and replace it with a deck lounger. (What a brilliant idea for tomorrow's day at sea, she thinks....) Since I am on Deck 4 (Upper Promenade), I don't look down at anything except the wake from the two propellers of the ship. When I turn around and look up, I can see nothing but other balconies and the aft Lido pool deck...this, of course means that people on the higher decks can look down at me when I am out on the balcony, but everyone here is friendly so if that doesn't bother you, then I would go for something on this deck.

Motion wise...where can't you feel motion on a ship??? Seriously this cabin is smoother than an ocean view I had in March. You do get to hear the propellers as long as the ship is moving but that isn't a serious issue with me because I can sleep through just about anything.

Hope this helps you out!

Our cabin on Zuidy was 6167, a Cat S suite on the wake. The veranda is huge (3 to 4 times larger than our side veranda was) and very exposed, and had a dining table & 4 chairs, two loungers and two occasional chairs with ottomans. We had only a 2 foot overhang which offered no privacy and no shade. We experienced very little vibration and no noise. It was out best cabin ever! Photo link is in my .sig below.

Hi,

Anyone been in a cabin at very the back on the Oosterdam or her sister ships?

Southwest I don't know when your cruising but I am going Sept. 4th and I have cabin 7126 & friends with 7127,28,29. I can take pictures and tell you after I come home but if your going before me then you can tell me. I asked your question before I booked and Thom just came back from 7130 and he said the worse thing that happened was a napkin from the aft pool area came down on him. They informed the bar area and nothing more happened. He did say that people will be looking down on us but hey with 4 rooms going across they can come and join the party. Also HAL cruise consultants informed me that these balconey's in Cat A are some of the larger ones That is what we wanted because we are opening them up so we can really party together as friends. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the replies.

TT -- We're not going until December, so I'll take you up on the offer to let me know how it is when you go in September. We also have a group going with cabins next to each other aft. We're in a cat AA, next to friends in the cat A aft on the upper promenade deck. We're several decks down from you, so take a peek and let me know if the balconies are larger from one deck to the next. The brochure makes it look like deck 5 has bigger balconies aft, but the brochures aren't always correct. I asked HAL and they said all As and AAs have the same size balcony regardless of location, but I've found that sometimes different places on the ship do have different sizes so I don't totally believe them. But I've never been on a Vista class ship, so could be true. The AA we have is the one right next to the suite on the corner. Our friends are next door in the A. I read one review that said A cabins aft have bigger balconies, so I'll be so sad if our friends have a bigger balcony than we do! Thanks again.

Spot, what great pictures, thanks so much for sharing them. We all have cabin's S5187 and 5185 on the Zuiderdam and believe our cabin will be similar, if not the same, as your pictured here. It looks perfect for what we are all looking for. Thanks again for sharing them.

Hi: We just got back from an Alaska cruise on the O. We were in cabin 5187. It was a fantastic cabin. It's true there is no privacy in the rear part of the balcony but that was not an issue for us. We loved having the huge balcony. And it was a wraparound balcony with the side part of the balcony offering as much privacy as regular balconies. We had a table and a pair of chairs, two great loungers, a pair of wicker chairs and an ottoman.

There was a small amount of engine noise but it wasn't too bad and since it was an aft cabin there was no noise from folks coming and going down the hallways.

Will definitely try to book the same cabin next time we cruise.

Debbie

We loved our Deluxe Verandah aft cabin on the Zui. Didn't mind that we were exposed to the levels above us...the extra room more than made up for it. The panoramic view from the back when cruising is really nice...we hope to get a corner aft suite next time with the wraparound deck...twice the area of ours.

Cruising the Oosterdam in November in a standard verandah, but Mom's paying for it so who's to complain?

So as far as aft cabins go, I have a choice between Cat A deck 5 aft or Cat A deck 7aft. What are the pros and cons? Seems like deck 7 has a smaller cabin and larger balcony while deck 5 has a larger cabin and smaller deck? ANyone know for sure??? I don't mind lack of privacy on the balcony but I prefer the larger cabin. Please respond so I can put this decision to rest !

Thanks-

Judy

The cabin on deck 5 is on the wake and it may be slightly smaller and has a much larger veranda. On deck 7, if it's on the side, it's about the same (about 254 square feet, including a much smaller veranda). Sometimes the graphics in the brochures are not to scale. We booked 7131 in May and were bumped to a Cat S 6167. Wake cabins for me forever!

Hi Candy

Lucky you to be bumped to 6167..you must've loved it. I had a corner aft on Zuiderdam and loved it.

The deck seven cabin is on the wake as well..actually cabin 7127 so would this be about 254 square as well? It looks smaller to me than the others . Did you have a chance to check out the cabin you didn't take?

Thanks again

Judy

Southwest I will take pictures for you. We in turn just received a digital camera for our birthdays from friends of ours and we can't 3wait to use it. Boy I better start reading the manual. LOL I will also be checking out Cat S cabins and as many as we can so hopefully alot of doors will be left open to check out. Everyone enjoy their cruises.

• 5 years later...

We were in cabin 5190 on the Oosterdam and it was great. Very large and the balcony was wrap around and amazing. Very large. Also deck five has an overhang so there is great privacy. We could look down on the deck four people and I think other decks as well but deck five is private.

Hi,

Anyone been in a cabin at very the back on the Oosterdam or her sister ships? I'm curious about balcony size, are they larger than same cabin categories that are located elsewhere? If you've been in an aft cabin, please let me know how it was. Did you hear a lot of noise from the propeller in the water? Was there a lot of motion? Could people above you look down into your balcony or was it private? Can you look down at the water, or are you looking down at other balconies and decks? How much furniture was on the balcony? Was it bigger than other balconies? Be sure to include the ship you were on, the cabin number if you rember it, the category and the deck you were on. This will be very helpful -- thanks!

I was in #6173 (VA - Upper Verandah Deck) on the Zuiderdam May '09, Vancouver to Alaska. Balcony size was adequate with a lounger, chair / ottoman and small round table. I was traveling solo so I had plenty of room out there. The only noise I heard was from the wake...ahhhhh. :D I could see into balconies below and people could see into mine from above, but it was fun....we all waved and chatted with each other. I have to say that my aft balcony on the Zuiderdam was larger than the one I had on the Eurodam (#5192, also a VA). Motion...I love the motion of the ocean and it was all that I hoped it would be. The motion is going to depend on how heavy the seas are. Vibration...a little at times but not enough to bother me and it never lasted long.

There's nothing like an aft cabin and I wouldn't hesitate to stay in one on any ship. Have a great cruise!

Diane

Diane, this thread is almost six years old, and OP hasn't posted on any CC forum in almost three years.

You are not likely to get a response from OP re: your post.

Wow - thanks for pointing that out! Somehow the thread had migrated back to page one from previous posters and I didn't bother to look at the OP's posting date.

Oh well, maybe someone will find my information helpful.

Diane, this thread is almost six years old, and OP hasn't posted on any CC forum in almost three years.

You are not likely to get a response from OP re: your post.

Six years old. I think it's time to put this thread to rest.

Archived