Do you exercise on vacation

bajathree

[quote name='addictedinflorida']Oh hell no!!!! LOL I'm on vacation, the last thing I want to do is hit the gym. I know for some its a lifestyle and a routine, but I figure as much walking, and sweating LOL as we do in port, thats plenty enough exercise to burn off the food from the day prior.[/quote]

I agree! I would never exercise on a vacation, and I will not diet on vacation either..I do not use stairs as I cannot due to health. (I can go down but never up them) anyways, Vacation is not for the gym or diets.. Kudos to those who enjoy dieting and exercising on a vacation.. but for me, NO WAY!!

[quote name='dodygirl']okay.. what are ship shape dollars??? I didn't read all the posts.so if has been answered already I am sorry.. I am new to cruising (my first one coming up). Thanks in advance :)

OKAY>>> read the explaination.. thanks.. sorry for the double post and thanks again.[/quote]

Ship Shape $ are given out at specially designated shipshape events. If you participate you get a shipshpae dollar. At the end of the cruise you can turn them in for water bottles, backpacks, teeshirts, depending on how many you get. They give them out for morning stretch, walk-a-mile, certain dance classes, and on some ships pingpong tournies etc. Each ship gives them out for different things.

3 shipshape teeshirts down. Number 4 this winter. :D

I hit the gym every day at home. so i wouldn't know what to do if i didn't go while on the ship. i'm a runner so keeping my endurance up is key. that cruise i ran a marathon 2 days after returning home. the gym was a big factor in keeping my fitness. so yep, gym at home gym at sea everyday.

Girlfreind is the same way.

corey

[quote name='sgttami']The right arm always comes home skinnier than the left....takes a lot to lift all those beers!!![/quote]

Switching arms every time you go for a refill should fix that problem...:D

The Mrs. and I generally use the stairs whenever we can, but that's about as far as our workout routine goes while on vacation.

No,I do not exercise...in fact,I try to eat as much as I can!! HOWEVER-I do set limits...no more than 10,000 calories per day and NEVER more than 20 adult beverages a day.....you must have SOME discipline.....I'm careful most days of my life now due to some health issues..BUT on vacation-I eat!!!We do walk alot while on board and while in ports....I hate going to the gym here,so I'm certainly not going to work out while on a cruise-it's totally against some of the reasons I cruise & vacation!!!!Funny-I used to run track as a kid (ran the mile in 4:12 at 16!!!),but now I like alot of R & R!!!!

Big Al

On each class of ship I've been on I'll wander into the gym, look around at the fancy equipment for about 45 seconds and get the hell out :D. I am also proud to say I have NEVER, EVER won a Shipshape Buck :)

Do a fair amount of walking in ports and around the ship though; and there is always the barley barbells.

[quote name='bajathree']I am just curious. How many of you still exercise when you are on vacation? I walk 4-5 miles 4-5 times a week but never exercise when I am away. RC seems to be building bigger gyms on their ships, so am I the only one that doesn't use the gym when I am away?[/quote]

No, I don't use the gym, even though I do ride bikes (indoor and outdoor) when at home. We walk the decks as much as possible and use the stairs, and try to walk lots when in ports - but I can't get worked up about exercise when on a cruise.

...and to be honest (and I may get shot for this), there is something strange to me about sitting inside a room, riding a stationary bike or something, when there's all that sun and sea to enjoy....not to mention the good fresh sea air.

Fran in Toronto

[quote name='HappyRev']DW and I do not exercise while on a ship however we never take elevators.

We climb stairs and we also make sure to use promenade deck to walk at least 1.5-2 miles every day.

That enables us to eat whatever we want and disembark without gaining too much weight. :D[/quote]

..and if you're a "Rev." you get plenty of exercise keeping up with a congregation:D:D (It's those 50-60 hour weeks that do it.)

Fran in Toronto

If I am going to enjoy all that good food without the guilt, I need to resume my exercise while cruising! I feel better when i run my mile a day and it takes only 10 minutes. It is well worth it to me. Besides, I am afraid that if I slack for 5 days in a row, I won't want to start back up again!!!!!

[quote name='jdmaillet']Are these dollars only given out at organized events? I go to the gym at home but I'm not really into "group" excercise. What about using the gym every morning on your own? Any $$ for that?

Thanks!
Jenn[/quote]

Jenn,

Yes, the dollar are given out at organized events. Not all of them are what I would consider group exercise. i.e. My wife and I earned $ for a free throw shooting contest. So, some are just activities.

I typically travel with a group, and we take the stairs...always...no matter how many decks and even in heels. I consider that "good for dessert".

I try to get to the gym most days, but not as intense as at home. Excursions usually include some snorkeling and hikes, so that also helps. It's cocktails that get me in a bit of trouble, but I usually don't gain any weight.

On a cruise last year, I [B][U]lost[/U][/B] 2 pounds on a 7 day. And last April, we went on the QM2 and I did gain 2 pounds (must have been the Guiness and fish & chips in the ship's pub and the 5 days in London eating and drinking in the pubs ;) ) But a week after we got home the 2 pounds were gone.
While onboard, I walked everyday on the treadmill and tried to limit my daytime meals to fruits and veggies (most of the time) and then ate whatever for dinner (best meal anyway) and had my wine and champagne to boot!
Really gonna try that same routine on the Mariner next week..now I just need my DH to join me :D

Archived