How Much Time is "Enough" for Shopping?

Shelley007

I am a shopper....DH is not!!! I'd like to feel as though I got in "enough" shopping, without dragging him through too much. How much shopping is there? How long do you think is "enough"? I'm trying to plan an excursion, but with the amount of time we have in St. Thomas, I want to make sure it's enough time for everything...

:)

Shopping - if you have something particular in mind that you are looking for, it may not take you long to shop.

But if you like to go into all the stores and browse around, you'll more than a day.

There are lots of shops right at Havensight where most of the ships dock. From there you can go into town and there will be lost more shops. Many of the shops are repeats.

:)

I guess it depends what type of shopping you like to do. If you love to shop for jewelry you’ll love St. Thomas. The streets are full of reputable jewelry stores!!! I usually spend the morning shopping (a good 3 hours) and then the afternoon at the beach (my bf doesn’t like to shop either so it’s a good balance of shopping and relaxing). You should have enough time to shop and enjoy the island...in the end all the jewelry stores look the same so it just becomes a matter of finding the best deals! :p

Also depends upon the day of the week that you are there.... On Sundays the stores downtown close at 1pm. We were there on a Sunday and made sure we went shopping first thing in the morning knowing that the stores closed early.... The stores at Havensight were open longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Me and my wife have a well rehearsed plan in St Thomas. We head into town. We will go into a few stores together and then she will find one to start dawdling in. After I peruse it, I head out the door and look at the shops a block or two down the street(I will make an ocassional purchase). After I am done, I head back to the shop where I last saw spousal unit. I take a look at her and if I sense she is in a power shopping mode. I tell her I will be in such-and-such a bar and about where it is located. After she gets done with that strech, she finds me and we head down the street and the process repeats itself.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a shopper too. I need at least 3 hours to shop there. If you're really big on jewelry and a leisurely shopper you'll need even longer. Don't miss the straw market area. There are some fun trinkets there and the best price on T-shirts I've seen anywhere else I've been in the Caribbean (I've been to:St. Martin, Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominica, Guadaloup (sp?), Aruba, Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Jamaica, St. John, Grand Cayman). My husband usually starts out with me and then he hangs out at our favorite bar then I know where to find him if there's something I want him to see or a purchasing question I want to ask him. I can't remember the name of the bar but it's outside and facing the harbor. If you're sitting in this bar looking out into the harbor, the Hard Rock Cafe is pretty close to your right. This bar has the best frozen Margaritas in a variety of flavors at really good prices. They also serve food here.

It is too far to walk into town from the Havensight area.

Oh it is not! I love that stroll. I'm not sure of the exact distance but it is no more than a mile or two.

I could spend *days* in Al Cohen's and A.H. Riise. :p

tef43....You must like torture. I am a walker but would not think of making that walk. If I were there for several days, I might do it. I would probably enjoy the stroll. But being there for a limited time on a ship, I would not spend the time it would take to walk it. Each to their own preferences though.

Archived