Cost to hem a dress?

Sunshine91

One of my eBay finds - a full-length formal - must be hemmed. I'm only about 5'2" and the gown is made for someone about 6in. taller! Other than hemming, it fits perfectly. :)

I went to a local seamstress in a small shopping center. The shop was non-stop busy - a good sign, I thought. I also saw military & police uniforms waiting for work and/or to be picked-up, also a good sign. I put on the dress & Soula started to pin it, got about half-way around before I asked her for an estimate. I know, I know, I should have asked first. She quoted me $55. Now, the dress is double layered & quite full, but there is no tulle petticoat underneath.

My plan was to also try the local bridal shop, figuring they must have a seamstress for alterations. Driving by on my way to work this morning, I saw a help-wanted:seamstress sign in their window. Not a good sign.

I live kind of in the middle of nowhere. There just isn't much choice. Soula was quite reasonable when I asked her about hemming men's trousers - $10. Is her $55 really that far out of line, figuring $25 or so per skirt? I was really impressed with her & wouldn't quibble over a $5 or $10 difference, but if the going rate is only $30, then yes, I would feel overcharged or try elsewhere.

Thanks.

One of my eBay finds - a full-length formal - must be hemmed. I'm only about 5'2" and the gown is made for someone about 6in. taller! Other than hemming, it fits perfectly. :)

I went to a local seamstress in a small shopping center. The shop was non-stop busy - a good sign, I thought. I also saw military & police uniforms waiting for work and/or to be picked-up, also a good sign. I put on the dress & Soula started to pin it, got about half-way around before I asked her for an estimate. I know, I know, I should have asked first. She quoted me $55. Now, the dress is double layered & quite full, but there is no tulle petticoat underneath.

My plan was to also try the local bridal shop, figuring they must have a seamstress for alterations. Driving by on my way to work this morning, I saw a help-wanted:seamstress sign in their window. Not a good sign.

I live kind of in the middle of nowhere. There just isn't much choice. Soula was quite reasonable when I asked her about hemming men's trousers - $10. Is her $55 really that far out of line, figuring $25 or so per skirt? I was really impressed with her & wouldn't quibble over a $5 or $10 difference, but if the going rate is only $30, then yes, I would feel overcharged or try elsewhere.

Thanks.

I think you should go with the first seamstress. (A) She has already started on your dress and you feel comfortable with her and (B) if you live far away from anywhere, your best bet is someone who has a good following, which you suggested when you said she was busy.

My only other suggestion would be to go to a local dry cleaner with an on-site tailor or store like Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus. I have a seamstress at Nordstrom where I take everything. They are expensive -- they will charge double if you bring something you didn't buy there -- but they are excellent. Again, this would be inconvenient since you live far away. I wouldn't go to a bridal shop, because they will probably overcharge you since you didn't buy the dress from them.

I think the original seamstress instilled confidence, you should take it back to her and not quibble about the price.

Where in Delaware do you live? I'm familiar with the eastern shore!

Good luck with the gown -- make sure you try it on before you take it out of the shop.

--Judy

I think $55 is a pretty fair price. With two layers to the dress, think of it as $27.50 per layer. The last dress I had hemmed cost $18 and it was a short sheath dress, a lot less work than a long gown. Pants are a lot cheaper because they are a lot less work.

Umpteen years ago when we got married, I had wanted to wear flats. My dress needed to be hemmed about and inch and a half for this, the cost would have been around $150 for the hem. Instead I wore a 2 inch heel.

If you do find someone cheaper, make sure you take a look at some of their work. A bad hem can ruin the whole look of a dress.

Just had a beautiful Vera Wang gown hemmed and the bodice taken in. Cost $80- ($40 for the hem and $40 for the bodice.) I live in an area where there is a tailor on every corner for miles around. Might have gotten it cheaper, but the work that was done was fantastic- I think it was definately worth the money.

In Atlanta, that price wouldn't be unreasonable. I have a great tailor and I take a lot of stuff to her. She's even been written up in our community paper.

Things rarely fit me well off the rack. My mom jokes that I spend as much on the alterations as on the actual garment, but even things that just slightly don't fit right bug me. (Too bad I can't sew a lick!)

I've about given up shopping on e-bay due to fit issues. I really have to try things on, and with e-bay there are (almost always) no returns. If you do buy things, you have to factor in the cost of the alterations needed.

At the Bridal shop, I work at, we charge anywhere from $25 - $200 for a hem. What fabric is your dress? Sometimes that makes a difference. You did say that the skirt is quite full, so that could be the reason for the charge. I don't think it is an unreasonable price. The only benefit you may have recieved at the bridal shop - is that they may have given you the numbers of some of their seamstresses, at home. We quit altering garments that weren't bought in the store - but when someone brings in an outside garment we give them numbers of some of the seamstresses. The charge is usually a lot less. Matter of fact I have a favorite seamtress (at work) and she always takes my stuff home - to alter- and charges so very little for it. This is good beacause, not only do my 2 gowns (for my Jan. cruise) need hemmed, but I have lost some weight and if all keeps going as planned I will have lost a lot more by my trip and my gowns and my 3 other "dinner" dresses are all going to need taken in. So, at the end of December, I'm going to have a lot of work, for her. Anyway, back to your point - I'd go with the original seamstress, I think it's an OK price.

Ladies - Thanks so much for the feedback. I just needed some reassurance that what I felt about the shop & seamstress was right & that her price was not out of line.

Judy - I'm in Millsboro. Moved here about 2.5 years ago from the DC 'burbs. It hadn't even occured to me that a bridal shop wouldn't take a dress that wasn't purchased there. Hmmmm. And the quibbling over the price was just with myself. I felt so comfortable with Soula that if I found a place with a $5 or $10 lower price, I'd probably still take the dress back to her.

Suznf - Wow - $40 for a hem. I guess my $27.50 per isn't so bad. :rolleyes:

Cruisemom - I've been so fortunate with my eBay purchases. Everything has fit - I can't count this as not fitting I'm just so short. Sometimes my mom will hem things for me but she flat out refused this one. Wouldn't touch it she said. :eek:

Tracers - Fabric - Shocker. I found the tag. The nude underlayer is poly but is the softest poly I've ever felt against my skin. Absolutely floored me - poly?! The top layer is a black netting of poly/spandex. Gives the dress a dark chocolatey brown/black look to it. If I knew how to post a pic, I would. :o

Judy - I'm in Millsboro. Moved here about 2.5 years ago from the DC 'burbs. It hadn't even occured to me that a bridal shop wouldn't take a dress that wasn't purchased there. Hmmmm. And the quibbling over the price was just with myself. I felt so comfortable with Soula that if I found a place with a $5 or $10 lower price, I'd probably still take the dress back to her.

Hi Sunshine91 --

My mom had a part-time home in Sharptown, MD. We used to go to Laurel and Seaford when we'd hang out with her there. Millsboro isn't so far away. We sold her home years ago.

Good luck with the gown. It sounds gorgeous!

--Judy

My goodness! After reading about these prices, I'm certainly glad that I can sew and do my own hemming -- which is often needed, as I'm just over 5 feet. Apparently I've saved thousands of dollars doing it myself.

Yes, you have! I can do my own, but sometimes choose not to. Sometimes it's worth the price to not have to drag out everything, then put it all back again. One day, the kids will grow up and leave and I'll have a sewing room!

Ladies - Thanks so much for the feedback. I just needed some reassurance that what I felt about the shop & seamstress was right & that her price was not out of line.

Suznf - Wow - $40 for a hem. I guess my $27.50 per isn't so bad. :rolleyes:

Cruisemom - I've been so fortunate with my eBay purchases. Everything has fit - I can't count this as not fitting I'm just so short. Sometimes my mom will hem things for me but she flat out refused this one. Wouldn't touch it she said. :eek:

Tracers - Fabric - Shocker. I found the tag. The nude underlayer is poly but is the softest poly I've ever felt against my skin. Absolutely floored me - poly?! The top layer is a black netting of poly/spandex. Gives the dress a dark chocolatey brown/black look to it. If I knew how to post a pic, I would. :o

sunshine,

maybe we can get one of our pros here to help out with how to post a picture??..you can start a new thread .. not for posting pictures but to give instructions so those who want to post a picture of their dress, shoes, handbags, etc. for opinions but don't know how to post can get some instructions.. count me in on one of those technically challenged :)

You can upload a file from your computer--when you post a reply, there's a button below the dialog box to "manage attachments"--that's what you'd click, then browse to find the file (making sure it meets the maximum size requirements) and the file will load when you post your message--those are the kind we click on to open and see the photo. If you want the photo visible in the post, it must be hosted (somewhere else) online (like webshots.com) and then you can link to the photo by copying (html tags will be used but I think on this board those are behind the scenes--ie you don't need to know html to post a photo)

Sunshine,

I live in Maryland and if I didn't have carpal tunnel syndrome, I'd hem it for you. But that's how I got carpal tunnel to begin with. I've made half of my kids clothes, half of my clothes, 2 prom gowns, a graduation dress and about 10 baby quilts.

Joanne - Thank you so much. That is so sweet of you. My Abby (the dog, my baby) is from a breeder in Bel Air.

Hoya - Thanks for the instructions. I'll try.

I took my dress to Soula yesterday. She's SO backed up with weddings, homecomings & the start of the fall/holiday formal season, she gave me a completion date of Nov 30! We cruise Jan 6 so I'm glad I started early. :)

Archived