Sun Class: Suite vs Mini-Suite vs Balcony Cabin

tispwisp

Next year we are sailing the 14 day Sea Princess for our 10 year anniversary. We always get a balcony cabin but are tempted to try a suite or mini-suite. Are the suites or minisuites worth the extra $2,000? I know you get perks for a full suite but do you also get the perks in the minisuites on the Sun Class?

We know that the extra 2K could pay for another cruise, but we don't have the time to take more than one cruise a year and would really like to do something special.

Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

There are no extra perks for a mini-suite on any Princess ship. If the $2000 would pose no financial hardship, I would do it. Anything to make an anniversary special is well worth the money..:)

Because the mini-suites are so well appointed on these ships, I would say they are the best value and for 14 days, definitely worth the additional cash for the stay.

Hopefully these mini-suites haven't been changed in the move of Sea Princess to P&O and back...

Coral - Those pics are great - those balconies may actually do us in! Wow! The mini-suite/suite would be a once in a lifetime splurge so I definitely want to make sure it is worth it! Two weeks in a cabin like that would be a dream come true! Having seen all those rooms, would you be able to recommend any one of them over the other or are they all equal winners?

Hi Amy,

One of those funny stories - my first week on a B2B cruise on the Dawn was over the WheelHouse Lounge band and I did not sleep at all that week. For the 2nd week - they moved me to a balcony cabin on Caribe - right next to the suite and minisuite. The day I took those pictures was turn around day and I was extremely tired (after not sleeping and a busy week in Alaska) - I literally just walked into these cabins and took pictures and walked out (I tried to take pictures of the room number so I wouldn't get them out of order). I really wasn't comprehending what I was doing - except I knew I wanted to get the mini-suite and suite pics. I then took a long nap that day and had a great 2nd week on the cruise. First week was good - just sleep deprived.

So sorry - I don't have any insight on which cabin or category would be better.

---------------

bdjam - I would hope that P&O would have left the aft cabins alone.

Having seen all those rooms, would you be able to recommend any one of them over the other or are they all equal winners?

From the mini-suite point of view, I would say they are equal winners, but with their own merits. The mini-suites are not only at the stern, but there are also a number of them midship on Baja deck. The Baja deck minis are represented in brochure photos and floor plans and have the double wide balcony (twice as wide as a standard cabin). The mini-suites aft have the great large balcony with the view over the stern, are slightly different in floor plan and of course are aft, which sometimes can be prone to motion.

I don't think you can go wrong with either...

Amy,

I just want to make sure that you understand about the balconies, since you stated that the balconies you saw in Coral’s pictures may actually do you in.

Those pictures are of the aft suites and mini-suites, categories AA and AB. Those have the large balconies. There are only 6 AB aft minis on the ship. The 26 mid-ship minis on Baja Deck have narrow balconies like shown in C 743, but they are twice as long because the mini-suite itself is actually the width of two cabins.

I just want to make sure you understand the difference. If you booked an AC expecting an AA or AB sized balcony, you would probably be disappointed.

We chose an AC for our first ever mini this Ocotber. Yes, the balcony is smaller, but it is not that important to us.

Jim

Amy,

jayevee44 makes a good point. My wife & I have stayed in a category AC Mini Suite on the Dawn. Tha balcony and room layout is different than the Aft Mini Suite. To take a look at AC just click on the link to our web site and go to our cruise photos then look at the Dawn Princess Ship Photos.

If you can swing it, opt for one of the AA's on Caribe. I've been in an AC on these ships, visited the AB (on Caribe), and the AA was amazing!! The balcony was almost as big as the room. We spent tons of time there, and with the bar set-up and additional wine we brought aboard, we felt we had the nicest, quietest spot on the ship!! IMHO, the AC are really screwed up from a storage point of view (not enough) and the storage in the bath is also really disfunctional - to the point of being annoying. We did a back-to-back (14 days ) in this room and it made me crazy. It was nice, but aggravating.

I definitely agree with the point made about the storage in the AC's, what in the world were they thinking with this? The storage in the bath is almost non-existent and the walk-in closet, well lets just say it has a lot less storage space then even the balcony cabins.

The AC is nice, don't take this wrong, but the storage is really minimal.

We enjoyed the cabin, but it does have it's drawbacks compared to the AA suites.

We also have been in the AA's and they are simply amazing, and that balcony. All I can say is WOW!

We stayed in C744 on the Sun Princess, an aft mini after having stayed in an AC mini on the Dawn on a previous cruise. I would never take the side mini suite over the aft one. It was much bigger and the balcony was fantastic. We never felt any increased motion there.

Ann

Thanks Toto & CruiseKing for the photos and insights! I think if we decided to book a suite or minisuite it would preferably be aft. We had an aft cabin on the Brilliance and absolutely loved it! Love watching the wake! It may all be moot point anyway as we aren't planning to book until we are on the Sun in November (to get the shipboard credit of course! :)) So we'll see what's available by then. My experience tells me that all the aft ones will probably be reserved. :( If it's meant to be, it's meant to be.

Thank you also to SunViking, CruisinChris, Jayevee44 & bdjam (hope I didn't miss anybody) for your comments and insights. If an aft cabin is available, we plan to book it, it if is an AC, we'll probably have to talk about it!

Thank you!

Amy, not sure that it'll be much help but my husband and I are booked on P&O Adonia (Sea Princess) in an aft cabin mini-suite C747 (Caribe deck) next Jan. Talking to the rep at P&O when I booked she gave me the measurements of the different aft mini-suites and C747 is definitely the largest, far larger than the minis on the sides of the ship. Looking at the pictures of C747 on Dawn this seems to emphasise the size. I booked last Feb and the P&O rep said the aft minis always go fast. Looking at the state of booking on this cruise on the web site all the mini suites have already gone. Sounds as though if you leave it till later in the year there probably won't be any left. Don't think from what I've heard from friends who've been on Adonia that P&O have 'messed around' with the ship at all. I know it'll be far too late for you but I'll post a review when I return from my cruise, not till Feb 2005. You might be interested to hear about a P&O cruise just as I love reading about the Princess ones. Happy cruising.

• 1 month later...

Amy,

you asked for a recommadition. If you have a choice take the B or C-deck, the balconies on the D-deck suites/minisuites are small. We stayed in AA's on SUN, DAWN and SEA and like the big balconies and the view, when the ship leaves the port.

But you have to book early to get them, they are sold out very quickly and the SEA for next year is very popular.

We're booked in an AB cabin on the 05 holiday cruise of the Sea Princess and there were only two left at time of booking. For the difference in price, we go for the AB because we use the balcony ALOT!

I hope one is still vailable for your sailing.

We did the AB mini on the Sun and it can be like being on your own yacht and private world. Like Chris we brought our own wine (and champagne) and rarely left the suite, except for meals and going ashore. Everything we needed was at our disposal. Full breakfasts are available from room service. The large balcony with teak furniture, real loungers and table and four chairs: the same as on our deck at home. No waiting to use the washroom, there are two rooms, one with sink, toilet and shower, the other with sink and jacuzzi. Don't miss the pool with the screaming kids and the bacteria... Amenities are provided in bottles, not paper.

Archived