Returning to the ship

Nectarologist

30 minutes prior to sailing is usually the latest you should plan to be on board.

The time will be posted near the exit door and in the daily program. Bring your driver's licence and/or passport to reboard, in addition to your cabin ID card. If your passport is specifically required, at it is in some European ports, you will be informed in advance.

Barring any specific requirement being announced before leaving the ship we usually take at least one picture ID, like our driver's licenses. We've not cruised in Europe but have lived there and it makes sense a passport would be asked for at some of the ports. Truth is that we've never been asked for anything but our key card in the Caribbean...at least so far.

Truth is that we've never been asked for anything but our key card in the Caribbean...at least so far.
Huh ... I've always had to present my ship's card and a driver's license (or other similar government i.d.).

Nope.....never have shown any other ID ever in the Caribbean. I don't remember our very first cruise back in '98 when they were still using the paper ID's without the pictures imbedded in the computer program so that might have been the only time but certainly not since they've gone to the plastic key cards and the computer check-in. (That's both with HAL and Celebrity too.) We've not done Alaska or Mexico runs so I can't speak for those ports. But I still agree that a second official photo ID is not a bad idea. I know some folks go as far as to make a copy their passport picture page and carry it with them but we haven't.

I think now that they have pictures associated w/ the keycards in the shipboard security system, they don't necessarily need photo-id to reboard the ship these days in most Carribean, Alaskan and Mexican ports...

...However it's always a good idea to bring your government-issued photo-id and a copy of your passport with you off the ship should some unforseen circumstance occur that might have you get involved w/ the local authorities or miss the ship as without them it will greatly delay your ability to travel to meet up with the ship or regain entry to the states.

When we were in Puerta Vallarta last April, the Mexican authorities required a photo id to get into the pier area. The ship only required the cabin key card.

THis isn't as simple an issue as you might think. If you become stranded in a foreign port for any reason, not having proper identification can make like difficult. Some people like to take a photocopy of their passport, rather than the real thing. However, be aware that a photocopy has no real legal value. It might make it a little easier for the US embassy to obtain a duplicate passport, but the immigration and customs officers in the foreign country will likely give it little credence.

Then, too, after January 7, 2007, if you were to miss the ship and return to the US by air, a passport is required. Even if you had your credit cards with you and were able to pay for an airline ticket home, you face a legal guantlet to re-enter the US.

When I leave the ship, I take my drivers license, one credit card, my passport and that of my wife, in addition to my ship's id.

YMMV.

Paul Noble

Great ideas, Paul.

This past Feb on Noordam, the announcements continually stressed that a photo ID plus the ship's card were necessary to get back on-board. The photo ID is for the local security folks at the dock, not for the ship. We were asked to show the photo ID only in Grand Turk & San Juan.

In San Juan, the line of folks pulled aside for not having that ID was quite long. Don't know how they finally managed to re-board, but they did. :rolleyes:

Since the rules change in early January regarding re-entry to the US, carrying that passport makes a whole lot of sense, especially if you are on a private tour on your ship's final port call - you are really taking a chance that you might have to fly home. Hmmmmm. What about those who cruise with only a birth certificate. They will really need that paddle. :eek:

Guest I.D. card plus a photo I.D. (DL will do - xerox copy of your passport is not a bad idea) - You'll need your Passport in countries like Russia, the Ukraine, and others - sometimes the Front Office will hang on to them and return them later in your cruise.

Not part of the question, but in certain countries, taking only one (or none) credit card ashore (as opposed to eight) is not a bad idea either. Same with puting your $$ somewhere different than your wallet (don't put your wallet in your rear pocket) and not being decked out with expensive jewelry. Last tip: stick the name/address/phone # of HAL's port agent in your pocket (you'll find that on the Daily Program)

You'll need your Passport in countries like Russia, the Ukraine, and others - sometimes the Front Office will hang on to them and return them later in your cruise.

Going into St. Petersburg (Russia, not FL) the ship collected our passports the night before and returned them to us before we left the ship along with a "very important" little red card that "you must not lose". I think it was a kind of a group visa. That was collected by Russian immigration as we returned to the ship. Passports were stamped. For the rest of that cruise ... and the Mediterranean this June... our passports stayed in our room safe, and we took only DLs and passport photocopies with us.

As Bruce said, now that your picture pops up when the ship "gatekeepers" scan your keycard that's all they need.

Going into St. Petersburg (Russia, not FL) the ship collected our passport the night before and returned them to us before we left the ship along with a "very important" little red card that "you must not lose". I think it was a kind of a group visa. That was collected by Russian immigration as we returned to the ship. Passports were stamped. For the rest of that cruise ... and the Mediterranean this June... our passports stayed in our room safe, and we took only DLs and passport photocopies with us.

As Bruce said, now that your picture pops up when the ship "gatekeepers" scan your keycard that's all they need.

Who is Bruce?

Passport was required to reboard in Vancouver last month. GRM had advised photo ID was adequate. However US authorities demanded the passport. Held my wife at the counter while I was permitted to go onboard and retrieve our passports.

Gary

At one port on my Noordam cruise last March the "photo" portion of the ship's scanner wasn't working, although the check-in feature was. We needed the photo ID to reboard.

There were also ports where the photo ID was necessary to gain access to the pier.

I have also been to many ports where ship's staff was checking photos and ship's cards before allowing access to the tenders.

It's a little card/piece of paper. What's the big deal? Take it with you. :rolleyes:

It's a little card/piece of paper. What's the big deal? Take it with you. :rolleyes:

Photo ID, yes ... definitely take one. But in many places in the world U.S. passports are a favorite target of pickpockets. So it stays in my cabin safe unless required, as in Russia etc. Or now in Vancouver as garydm said! :)

It's not a big to take it w/ me, it's the big deal to replace it if it "walks off" from the beach while I'm in the ocean, lol. Actually I wouldn't be laughing if that happened. I carry my key card & my money & credit card in my bathing suit but if my DL stays submerged it will be ruined (same w/ passport). It's the pia process of replacing them. So if I don't need to carry the DL off the ship I don't want to. We generally only hit the beaches while in the Caribbean (unless raining) and while we've never had anything go missing it can & has happened to others, plus it's not relaxing for me to have to watch my stuff while enjoying the beach.

Thanks for the replies & tips.

"But in many places in the world U.S. passports are a favorite target of pickpockets."

So don't carry it in a place that can be easily "picked". My passport goes where I go. The ship and safe can leave without me.

Thereby this post will turn into the passport yes/no debate once again.

You never know what can happen when you're in port. Consider the passengers, several years ago, that were stranded on shore overnight when the Amsterdam had to leave the harbor in Stanley (Falkland Is) due to weather. Most didn't have necessary medications with them, I don't take my meds ashore either.

I suggest at least having the name and number of HAL's port agent with you, and a photocopy of your passport. I may even start to bring at least one dose of necessary meds when getting on a tender.

People do get stranded for unforseen reasons, and if you're in a foreign country and have to travel to meet the ship, you will need your passport, and at least a credit card and some currency. There are on-shore medical emergencies too, fractures, heart attacks. The ship can't remain in port while you're in an ER. Once they know, they will immediately start making arrangements for you but that's where the port agent comes in to assist. He/she will contact the ship for you.

We always have the port agent info with us; most of them do speak English. I think that everyone should have a contingency plan. I'm not a doomsayer, just trying to be realistic.

GN

You never know what can happen when you're in port. Consider the passengers, several years ago, that were stranded on shore overnight when the Amsterdam had to leave the harbor in Stanley (Falkland Is) due to weather. Most didn't have necessary medications with them, I don't take my meds ashore either........

Hans Mateboer describes that entire episode/incident in Stanley in his book "Captain's log" - that took some major improvising to take care of those pax. The Brit Royal Army helped out a lot!

Archived