Ship time in St. Thomas-Noordam

doctornursejan

We did not shift time on the entire cruise thru the Southern Caribbean trip. That would be BVI, USVI, Dominica, Barbados, St Maarten and PR. However, since we are shifting tonight to EST, make sure you read that little card on your bed.

When I took the Noordam 10-day cruise last March we did change the clocks when we crossed to the Atlantic Time Zone.

Could it be that the islands aren't on Daylight Saving Time, so that was the difference in tomc's experience?

In other words, if Tom were leaving for that cruise tonight he would be changing his watch?

St. Thomas is in the Atlantic Time Zone and does not have daylight time. So when we have daylight time, like right now at 11:20 EDT, we have the same time as St. Thomas and Atlantic time and therefore the ships do not change time. We already have the same time as the Caribbean ports. However, after 2 AM when our clocks go back an hour we will be on EST and will be one hour behind St. Thomas.

The ships normally change clocks to the local port time.

I wondered about that. I knew the ship kept local time, but St Thomas seemed to be in the Atlantic Time Zone. Not that I lost any sleep over it, or anything like that, but it did puzzle me a bit.

As my brother says, "Now I go to sleep less dumb."

St. Thomas does not observe daylight saving's time so this means they will be an hour ahead of the east coast, begining 10/29.

There have been many threads about HAL time and port time. I am sticking with my story that HAL always goes to port time but dependent upon the time of year in the Caribbean, this may not make a difference, thus the confusion.

St. Thomas does not observe daylight saving's time so this means they will be an hour ahead of the east coast, begining 10/29.

There have been many threads about HAL time and port time. I am sticking with my story that HAL always goes to port time but dependent upon the time of year in the Caribbean, this may not make a difference, thus the confusion.

Thank you Hammybee... one of the best and well defined explanations I have read so far...

OK....now I think I understand....if the tide is in and the moon is at least half full.... :rolleyes: Maybe it was just too early and not enough coffee but the more I read the more confuseder I got. I couldn't, still can't, remember a time we've not been on "island" time....I think I remember that. Anyhow, I did wake up enough to realize we've never cruised during DST and we've only cruised in the Caribbean so maybe it's just never been an issue. :D

Archived