Bringing wine aboard from a port

jacank

Two years ago, on a Maasdam cruise to the Caribbean, we bought two bottles of wine in St. Thomas and brought it back on the ship to have in our cabin. There was no problem. I'm wondering if that has changed. Has anyone done this recently?

Yup - bringing aboard wine for your personal enjoyment is a non-issue.

And as stated before, a corkage fee may be charged if you wish to have enjoy it in one of the public venues (as in most any shoreside restaurant)

Enjoy!

I know this must be an OLD subject, but just where does it say that liquor will be taken away and returned the last night of the cruise? I am reading my OCt 06-Dec 07 Crib. & Mex.Cruise brochure and there is no mention of this in the Details or important policies for you review section of the brochure. It sure seems like every thing else is well covered.

It is always nice to know that HAL unlike other lines will allow some carry on bottles. Also, that my wife can have her diet coke caffine free with her. Nice touch HAL, keep it up. Our bar bill is still always a money maker for HAL despite this. :cool:

Mick:

It is printed in the "Know Before You Go" booklet that is included with all sets of documents.

If you can't find it on-line at the HAL site, I'll be happy to quote it here for you. It is on page 11 of the copy of "Know Before You Go" that I am looking at.

Only wine and champagne are allowed to be brought aboard.

If you wish to bring aboard any other liquor, it will be held until the last night of the cruise and then returned to you.

I know that this is the rule, but it seems to be haphazardly enforced. On our Mexican Riviera cruise on the Oosterdam last April, I bought a fifth of Tequila in Puerta Vallarta. Upon returning to the ship, I fully expected it to be held until our return to San Diego.

I made no attempt to hide it or disguise it as I re-boarded the ship. It was in a plastic bag, by itself, and its outline made it clear that it was a bottle of some sort. I put it on the conveyor for the x-ray machine. No one asked to examine it. When it came out the other side, I kept my mouth shut, picked it up and went on my way.

I was in no way trying to smuggle it onboard. In fact, we still haven't opened that bottle. I'm not really sure why we bought it, except that my wife likes Tequila; I hate it. We compromised and did things her way :) .

Paul Noble

Archived