Not trying to stir the pot...but

E91

I don't care where you sleep and what you pay for your cruise....no fare buys you the right to feel you are above the rules and most importantly the people that are working to make your vacation special.
Hear, hear! You are absolutely right. I have found over the years that generally speaking the jerks like this are not as important as they delusionally think they are. They are "wannabes" who are still trying to fool their own self-vision. The people I have met who are truly of status and/or means are wonderfully warm and caring people. They don't have to prove anything to anyone.

...........We also listened to another man....very well spoken but complaining about being charged for a shore excursion that he CHOSE not to take because it had been raining. He wanted a refund despite the fact he never made an effort to cancel it. In his well "spoken" manner he pretty much threatened the concierge by saying "I am a lawyer...I know how these things work". Well unfortunately that was our saying for the rest of the cruise "I'm a lawyer...I know how things work" I was amazed by this man's nerve....thinking that he was pulling some kind of rank to get his way...when really...if he was a good lawyer (like the one I travel with and love very much :))....he would have read the terms and conditions when he ordered his shore excursion and understood that a refund was not in the cards........:)

Great post and I hear you! I have also seen "gems" like you describe on board in both the NL and at the Front Office who think they own the world. I have felt very sorry for the young ladies at both locations at times and several times had to bite my tongue.

Getting back to the OP's first post; it is absolutely not the case that the cabins in "officers country" get cleaned first or faster on turnaround day. And room stewards on HAL do start off their career on different decks of the ship other than on Navigation deck. This goes for asst. dining room stewards also; many of them start their career in the Lido restaurant and work their way up. A great Indonesian guy by the name of Fitri comes to mind. First time we saw him he was pushing around a coffee cart in the Lido singing "I have coffee for you" to the tune of "Happy birthday to you". Last time we saw him he had been promoted to dinging room steward in the PG. Hard work (and good comment cards;) ) does/do pay off!

We always introduce ourseleves by our first names to our room/dining room/bar, etc stewards. Funny thing is some, especially the Filipino bar stewardesses insist on addressing us (and others) as "Sir" John and "Ma'am" Maria. We tell them it's not necessary but it seems to be their custom.

Riz,

LOL at your salami story. You should try hanging around the front desk especially right after boarding. You wouldn't believe what goes on.

The most common is, "My TA said I would be upgraded". A couple of others, " I don't like my cabin", "I want a better view". My favorite was the guy who wanted a free upgrade because he had a problem a couple years before.

seems, sort of, the thread has changed from "are suites made up 1st" to a semi-battle between the "haves", the "have nots" and those who want to have:(

never realized the color of a cabin key could cause such a stir:rolleyes:

the only "benefit" I've ever gotten from the different key is priority boarding on tenders .. sorry, but why not?

I didn't notice anyone commenting about the fact if fly and pay for 1st class, it's not right drinks should be free or the seats bigger:confused:

quite frankly, what's the difference .. IMO, there isn't any

after more than 25 cruises in a full suite, I can absolutely state the key has never once made a difference at any bar .. than again, no one has ever asked to see my cabin key .. 1st time through, I'm usually asked for my cabin # merely to verify I am the person whose account is to be charged .. after that, the cabin # never comes up again

regarding the Neptune lounge, there are those who use for its intended purpose (getting great snacks and coffee without having to head over to Lido along with asking for reservations at Pinnacle or having a particular situation addressed) ..

there are others who view the Neptune concierges as indentured slaves ..

then again, those are the same "fellow suite pax" who usually turn out to be rude, crass, over-bearing but who generate the best stories for laughs during the cocktail hour (as evidenced by comments from other posters)

do suite Pax get special treatment .. IMHO, no more than than any other courteous guest on board

really very simple: if you're nice to the crew, they'll be nice to you

not a very difficult concept:eek:

gizmo --

You should try hanging around the front desk especially right after boarding. You wouldn't believe what goes on.
That's an idea; it would make great reading for everyone when I take my next cruise in April and do another "Live From" thread. I thank you in advance!

We always introduce ourseleves by our first names to our room/dining room/bar, etc stewards. Funny thing is some, especially the Filipino bar stewardesses insist on addressing us (and others) as "Sir" John and "Ma'am" Maria. We tell them it's not necessary but it seems to be their custom.

Indeed ... I have a similar problem, and not just with the Filipino bar staff. Once/if the Indonesians discover/realize/notice that I am Christian clergy their form of address immediately changes to "Father" or "Reverend." It may be the respect that they hold for their Muslim Imams bleeding over into how they treat clergy of the Christian faith, but I have trouble getting them to stop the honorifics. They are also incredibly curious, and I have frequently found myself answering questions of the Indonesian staff about some very intricate matters of Theology. Being late seating often helps in this ... they seem to take a little more time to chat about such things. The biggest problem I've had in this regard is the language barrier (which, at times, can be extreme).

The matter of respect for clergy comes double and triple from the Filipino beverage staff, most of whom are Roman Catholics. I start as Sir Greg and, after they find I'm clergy, it becomes "Father Greg" and no amount of asking them to change seems to work. :) It comes down to respect. When they serve me, I often respond back with "thank you sir/ma'am." The looks of shock I often get in response are humorous. :D

Sea King --

I'm in the cheap seats; I expect those who have paid for more bounteous accomodations will receive various perks. Why not? It's no big deal to me; they paid more, they get more. My cheap little Cavalier doesn't have all the widgets of my friend's Town Car.

Really very simple: if you're nice to the crew, they'll be nice to you.
And they don't care, nor do they know, where you sleep at night.

On my last cruise on the ryndam, at my dining table I was seated

with a couple from the PH and 2 couples from suite SC and I had a

outside stateroom. Nobody was treated any different at the table

we all got serve at the same time.

While I agree that there isn't a caste system, I do believe that full suite pax get preferencial treatment in many areas. The first one, IMO, is the color of the key card to distinguish a suite pax from a non-suite pax. I was also told by my concierge on my last trip that when they seat pax in the dining room, they try to seat the suite pax together unless you change your table seating. That has happened a few times to us, but on the last voyage, I wanted a table change from 6 to 4 and I was told that if I changed I couldn't be guaranteed to be sitting with other suite pax.

I have also noticed that if you are a suite pax with the different colored card and you step up to a bar to get your own drink, that as soon as they see the card, they will serve you before they serve anyone else who was there before you. I experienced this on HAL and Celebrity.

Just having priority boarding and tender boarding and disembarkation shows that there is a caste system. I know the suite pax pay for it, but then again, so did the people in the first class cabins in the old days pay for their "class".

I believe that if you pay for something...you get what you pay for and those that don't pay the premium for the suites DO get excellent service as well, surely much better service than the "steerage" class did in the earlier days of sailing.

I doubt it will ever go back to the days of separation of the decks, and I don't believe it should, but there are certainly subtle differences between the suite and non suite pax.

I always sail full suite, but I'm not a snob about it although I have met some pretty snobby people in the Neptune on a few cruises. Even the concierges have rolled their eyes a few times when the snobbiness shows through.

I remember once on a cruise the concierges were talking about some group of people who had ducks or something all over the place and from their candor in talking about it, they conveyed that they thought it was silly and those people were pretty snobbish onboard. Go figure.

One thing I insist on is that the stewards and concierges address me with my first name...my mother is Mrs...xxx, not me.:)

Wow you really had a different experience than my party!!! I did not notice that my card was different than anyone elses, but what I can tell you is that we had an unlimited soda sticker and outside of the dinner time I was only able to get a soda twice!!! and that was when I complained!!! and forced somebody to get me a drink!!

I know on our cruises the suite passengers were allowed to stay in their suites until their color gets called for disembarkation. (Though I also know their numbers get called earlier than others.) So the suites may end up being cleaned later than others. Or do they now allow everyone to stay in their rooms until they are called? My suite was always available and clean on HAL when I got there, but then again, I tend to be one of those people that aims for the middle of the embarkation window, say 2pm for a 5pm departure. I like spending the extra time in the cities on either end, so I'm checking out the sights in the morning.

[/color][/b]

:) I know what you mean by that. For years, when anyone addressed me as "Mrs. ----", I thought they were speaking to my mother-in-law.

I don't mean this as any criticism at all. Just my viewpoint. We all can look at the same situation but see it differently. I look at the Suite perks I buy as a list of things that are included in my fare. We all have food, movies, pools, tender use, etc etc. We all buy that with our ticket. Some people spend more on their ticket and buy more things. Anyone has the choice to do that. In any society, not everyone has the ability.

That's life in general......not just cruising.

I don't know anything about other pax who have ducks or the history or anything else about it...I just related something that the concierge told me. I didn't see any ducks on any of my cruises.

I don't very often step up to a bar, so I don't expect the bartender to know me if I only see him a couple times during a 10 day cruise. I only related what I did experience. I didn't think it was fair to the guy who was there before me that I got served first, and I let the bartender know that he was there first and should be served first.

As I said, the treatment and services suite pax get aren't really percs, suite pax pay dearly for them. The same thing goes for the old sailing days when the classes were separated...the first class pax got first class service. I hope I don't see pax having different dining rooms or promanades depending on how much they paid for the cruise.

What I did find out that bothered me a little was when I wanted to change my table...as soon as I got on board and went to the concierge and I was told that they try to seat suite pax together and if I changed my table from 6 to 4 that I couldn't be guaranteed to be seated with other suite pax. I thought that was a little pretentious, but I can understand to a certain degree why they try to do it.

I have gone to my dinner table in the past and when we were all seated (table for 8), one of the things that came up during dinner discussion was what decks and type of rooms we all had. That bothered me, because if you're a suite pax, you can end up in a no win situation with discussions like that. There ARE pax who are really interested in where your cabin is, how much you paid for the trip, etc. I don't like to talk about it...but depending on your tablemates, if you are honest about it, they might think you're a snob, or if you tell them you don't want to discuss it, they might think you're a snob...and I'm no snob.

I know there are people on the board who might say that they were seated with all different deck levels of pax. But, do we really know how many of them had their tables changed? So, you can't make the assumption that it's not being done..or not trying to be done. I don't think the concierge would make something like that up.

I just like a table for 4 and I don't care who's on the other side of the table...I've always had good times and good conversations with them..and we usually end up being the last ones out of the dining room.

seems, sort of, the thread has changed from "are suites made up 1st" to a semi-battle between the "haves", the "have nots" and those who want to have:(

the only "benefit" I've ever gotten from the different key is priority boarding on tenders .. sorry, but why not?

I didn't notice anyone commenting about the fact if fly and pay for 1st class, it's not right drinks should be free or the seats bigger:confused:

after more than 25 cruises in a full suite, I can absolutely state the key has never once made a difference at any bar .. than again, no one has ever asked to see my cabin key .. 1st time through, I'm usually asked for my cabin # merely to verify I am the person whose account is to be charged .. after that, the cabin # never comes up again

regarding the Neptune lounge, there are those who use for its intended purpose (getting great snacks and coffee without having to head over to Lido along with asking for reservations at Pinnacle or having a particular situation addressed) ..

then again, those are the same "fellow suite pax" who usually turn out to be rude, crass, over-bearing but who generate the best stories for laughs during the cocktail hour (as evidenced by comments from other posters)

do suite Pax get special treatment .. IMHO, no more than than any other courteous guest on board

Actually, in the very first post on this thread the OP said: :)

"To me a suite category versus everything else is like the old liners class system w/o calling it a class system. I have traveled both ways and have had a wonderful time each and every time but wondering if behind the scenese they place priority on suite guests? I'm just curious."

I've seen some really obnoxious people on cruises who try to make everyone else think they're being sophisticated and strutting their stuff when they act gauche.

It is true, if you treat others with kindness it will be returned. There's one thing I always do when someone asks me, "How are you today?". I always tell them, "I'm fine and how are you?". (So far, I've always been fine when I tell them I'm fine)

It's so nice to see their faces light up when they see that you are as interested as they seem to be when they ask you how you are.

I know on our cruises the suite passengers were allowed to stay in their suites until their color gets called for disembarkation. (Though I also know their numbers get called earlier than others.) So the suites may end up being cleaned later than others. Or do they now allow everyone to stay in their rooms until they are called? My suite was always available and clean on HAL when I got there, but then again, I tend to be one of those people that aims for the middle of the embarkation window, say 2pm for a 5pm departure. I like spending the extra time in the cities on either end, so I'm checking out the sights in the morning.

They allow everyone to remain in their stateroom until their color/number is called.

Of course, I wake up late and stay aboard as long as I can, but I also make it known to the steward that I have no qualms about letting him get on w/ his duties while I wait for my number to be called.

They allow everyone to remain in their stateroom until their color/number is called.

Of course, I wake up late and stay aboard as long as I can, but I also make it known to the steward that I have no qualms about letting him get on w/ his duties while I wait for my number to be called.

Being allowed to stay in our rooms on HAL until our color is called is one of the best things about HAL, IMO. I really like the efficiency and organization of HAL...the Dutch know how to do it right!:D

Cathy Kearns--

I know on our cruises the suite passengers were allowed to stay in their suites until their color gets called for disembarkation. (Though I also know their numbers get called earlier than others.)
I was one of the earliest numbers called this past week and I was in the cheap seats. I asked for early out so I could catch a bus.

Are we related? :rolleyes:

I met an Ann Kearns up in the city a couple of weeks ago, she was originally from Michigan/Wisconsin. I'm originally from Rhode Island....

dave kearns

For what it's worth, we had the same excellent service in an S Suite as we did in a VC verandah as I did in my lowly Cat M Inside stateroom. Now, I'm sure the room stewards work their way up, and most likely a steward cleaning a suite has less rooms to physically clean, but as stated above, there's likely to be more deliveries to the room, requests etc. etc.

It's funny someone would mention this ...

When I took my 30-day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise on the Amsterdam in January I had an EXCEPTIONAL cabin steward by the name of Mohammad servicing my Category I inside cabin. This guy was incredible ... towel animals every night, immaculate stateroom at all times, sang happy birthday to me when I left the cabin for a shore excursion that morning ... made me a monkey towel animal that afternoon while I was out ... hung him above the bed ... with a card from the Captain in his paws. Just really great service that I was honestly not used to.

Come this cruise I just got off of ... also on the Amsterdam ... I find out that this same Mohammad is now servicing the luxury suites. They too were getting tons of towel animals. :)

Frankly, I'm not surprised Mohammad has moved up to servicing the suites. Obviously someone that good would eventually make it to those more exclusive accommodations. I'm just glad I got to experience his stellar service in the "cheap seats" before he made his move, though. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm in the cheap seats; I expect those who have paid for more bounteous accomodations will receive various perks. Why not? It's no big deal to me; they paid more, they get more.

Well said and I agree 100%. I have no problem with people in suites getting certain "perks." After all, they paid for them. Just as someone else on this thread already said ... it's the same as flying first class on the airlines. You pay for those bigger seats, the unlimited drinks, and the priority boarding and deplaning. If one chooses to spend the money for those perks, of course they have a right to expect them. In my case, I'd prefer to forego those perks and get another cruise out of the deal ... and that's my choice. So, even though one of us gets the "suite perks," while the other doesn't ... we both can be happy with our choices.

Blue skies ...

--rita

DH and I usually book a deluxe suite. We have stayed in everything but an inside cabin. We request a large table as we enjoy meeting new people. The very best table we ever had was 4 couples, 2 in deluxe suites, 2 in inside cabins (but very well traveled).

Two of the rudest people I ever met on a cruise were on last January's Oosterdam cruise. I saw this couple at the Suite Cocktail party the first night. She was monopolizing the Captain. Unfortunately, the couple was seated at our large table for dinner. When we left the table that night, DH was as mad as I've ever seen him (and he's pretty easy going). I mean, he was ready to get off the ship at the first port if we had to stay at that table. Luckily the Concierge was able to move us to a table for two.

Money does not equal class.

There's one thing I always do when someone asks me, "How are you today?". I always tell them, "I'm fine and how are you?". (So far, I've always been fine when I tell them I'm fine)

[/color][/b]

I usually respond with "I've been worse" and people get a chuckle out of it. That's the attitude I try to always have. No matter how bad things are they could be worse. That way I'm always grateful for how I am today.

than again, no one has ever asked to see my cabin key .. 1st time through, I'm usually asked for my cabin # merely to verify I am the person whose account is to be charged .. after that, the cabin # never comes up again

This is fasinating. I just asked DH and he agrees, neither of us remembers a time when we did NOT have to produce our cabin card, even when ordering another round. And this happens even though wait staff almost always remembers DH's name, sometimes from cruise to cruise. Every once in awhile I hit upon something on this board and wonder if I sail the same HAL as everyone else.

Oh so true!

With 40+ cruises we've only once been 'full suite' passengers - the year we splurged! Loved it! Can't always afford it! :( We certainly did not view the concierges as indentured slaves and did not treat them as such. We 'requested', as oppposed to 'demanded' whatever and were not disappointed.

Oftentimes we've enjoyed verandha space (as available); we've never had less than a large outside cabin on Promanade deck.

Our stewards/wait staff have, without exception, been wonderful - too bad I couldn't take one home!

DH has no problem about being addressed as 'Sir D", nor do I with "M'am B"

Bottom line - if you're respective of "crew/stewards/wait staff" chances are good they'll be respetive of you.

This is fasinating. neither of us remembers a time when we did NOT have to produce our cabin card, ........ Every once in awhile I hit upon something on this board and wonder if I sail the same HAL as everyone else.

Fascinating indeed.

I just asked my DW what she thought about this. We both agree that we 'might' have been asked to produce a card 'once or twice'... we think!

Honestly, I cannot remember ever being asked to produce my card.

I sometimes wonder if HAL would be better following the system that is operated by Princess. Your cabin card is coloured according to the level of your repeat mariner status. Ie Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze, Red or Blue. That would be fun!;)

Then there would be certain perks for various levels......

Blue..... Welcome aboard. You can collect a tender ticket from the lounge.

Red.... Including the above plus a welcome aboard bottle of wine.

Bronze.... Including the above plus a complementary lunch in the Pinnacle.

Silver... Including the above... plus one hour free internet time and one free bag of laundry.

Gold..... Including the above plus priority tender boarding and two hours free internet.

Platinum... All of the above plus dinner for two in the Pinnacle plus unlimited internet time. Free laundry.

If you are in a suite of course you can have a special sticker on your card which will allow priority tender boarding.

This way passengers who have achieved the the highest awards get rewarded for their loyalty and gives everyone a chance at some decent perks not just based on grade of cabin.

Stephen

This is fasinating. I just asked DH and he agrees, neither of us remembers a time when we did NOT have to produce our cabin card, even when ordering another round. And this happens even though wait staff almost always remembers DH's name, sometimes from cruise to cruise. Every once in awhile I hit upon something on this board and wonder if I sail the same HAL as everyone else.

I just got off the Amsterdam on Monday and my experience does not mirror yours. My cabinmate and I tended to gravitate to the Ocean Bar and once the servers got used to seeing us there, they remembered our cabin number and we never were asked to produce our card. The only question they would ask was whether we wanted the charges to berth 1 or 2 ... since we were rotating paying for the drinks.

Now on the few occasions where we went to another lounge, yes ... those servers didn't get the chance to become familiar with us, so would always ask to see the stateroom card.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived