Empress of the Sea Cat D1??

I'm thinking of booking the Empress of the Sea to Bermuda next fall for our 25th anniversary and my DH 50th birthday. Cat D1 looks reasonably priced but wanted to know what the cabins are like. I'm guessing that they look out over the aft of the ship. Is there a better choice of deck? or cabin?

Thanks!

This is just my opinion, but I think you should look into a JS on Deck 9. I have sailed her and will sail her again next year in a JS. They are the best cabins next to getting a suite.

On any other ship the Empress JS is equivalent to a regular E1 cabin, but they are called a JS on the Empress because they have balconies. (They do not have a bathtub which some people expect in a JS, nor do they have a mini refrigerator.)

Sometimes the cabins in the aft can be covered in soot every morning from the stack according to pictures someone posted on here. Plus one of the aft cabins has no sitting area, just a bed. I can't remember which category it is.

The Empress is a wonderful ship, with a wonderful crew. It is my favorite ship with her 11 night itinerary, but only if I can get a JS balcony. :)

Sometimes the cabins in the aft can be covered in soot every morning from the stack according to pictures someone posted on here. Plus one of the aft cabins has no sitting area, just a bed. I can't remember which category it is.

JS #9684 is the aft cabin with no sitting area. I also heard from previous passengers about the soot in the aft balconies.

JS #9684 is the aft cabin with no sitting area. I also heard from previous passengers about the soot in the aft balconies.

Thank you for jogging my memory about the JS with no sitting area.

I just saw pictures of the soot on those aft balconies and furniture and it was terrible. Of course, I don't know where I saw them. :o

The JS cabins don't even have refrigerators, either? We really want to do the itinerary, and have booked the 11 night for April 08, but I have mixed feelings about this ship:o

No, the cabin is really an E 1 on other ships. But, we loved that ship and the 11 night Exotic Southern itinerary. That is why we are doing it again next year. The ship and crew are great. If the cruise was not so port intensive, I might say we would miss the extras of the bigger ships. Yet we did not miss a thing when we sailed her because of the fact there are only 2 sea days out of the 11 nights. One of those days was the time to rest after all the ports and the other was to pack.

We did not even miss the refrigerator. The one thing the JS has is a really good size closet. I bring a lot of clothes and still had plenty of room to spare.

Gee, you would think I was getting a kick back from RCCL.:D

Lesley~~

Of all of the regular staterooms on the aft of the Empress, the center one on Deck 7 has a wider balcony than the others (7690). None of them have a sitting area that I remember. If you want to stick with the D1 category, try to get this stateroom in order to get the biggest bang for your buck. I still chuckle to think that back when I sailed in these staterooms aft, they were sold as a JS!!

I have a fear that you will be disappointed at the size of any of the staterooms on the Empress because of your cruising history. The Empress is a wonderful ship, but staterooms are very small compared to others in the RCI and Carnival and HAL fleet. Do search high and low for photos and other info on the Empress so you know what you are booking.

We sailed on this ship this past spring out of Philly, and we had a great time---our fourth time on the Empress. I did insist though that we book a JS/balcony on the side of the ship, not the aft. Also, a few weeks ago, we sailed on the Explorer of the Seas (5 nights) to Bermuda; we were in a JS that was a night and day difference from the JS on the Empress---massively huge.

My final two cents: I would go after a Radiance-class vessel for a special occasion, regardless of its itinerary. 25th anniversary is pretty special---congratulations regardless of which cruise line/ship/stateroom you choose.

Bon Voyage~~

Leslie

Lesley~~

My final two cents: I would go after a Radiance-class vessel for a special occasion, regardless of its itinerary. 25th anniversary is pretty special---congratulations regardless of which cruise line/ship/stateroom you choose.

Bon Voyage~~

Leslie

This Empress cruise will be our anniversary cruise also. ;)

My husband and I will celebrate our 50 th wedding anniversary next year. We actually canceled a 14 night Alaskan cruise to return to this ship and cruise itinerary because it is so special to us. We just love the Empress and her crew. :D

E-1 size is fine, I just like having a fridge. Monarch JS is not much larger than an E-1 either. We went and booked Empress JS, but I am really hoping that a Radiance class ship might have a special, similar sailing or that there might be ship change in the next year and a half.

I asked the same question as the OP about the D-1's. The replies I received all recommended booking a JS on deck 9 instead. There is not much difference in price. :D

If you are expecting bells and whistles like the Radiance and Voyager Class ships have I would stay clear of the Empress of the Seas, it just doesn't have it.

You will be disappointed for sure. We did Empress once from San Juan to New York City on a Reposition Cruise.

Jimbo:)

Not expecting anything of the ship really (other than a fridge), this is an itinerary cruise. Serenade did a 9 day with similar ports in April 06, we can still keep our fingers crossed. :D

From the West Coast, we don't wish to fly all the way to San Juan for much less than 2 weeks. Alternative would be a B2B on Serenade, but I don't know if we want to do that or not. :) Thanks...back to OP....

Empress is a great little ship

Been in the aft JS 7690.. no sitting area.. extra large balcony

Not too much soot but it was there a few times

Very rough seas will toss you around. I was sick as a dog 2 years ago.

I wouldn't book that again because we....

Just had JS midship deck 9 in Sept. Had a great time as usual, and had a sitting area.

Standard balcony, but big enough for us.

Even had rough weather and I didn't feel it at all.

No frig, has safe, the shower is kind of triangular in size which made it more interesting..lol

Ive never been on a larger ship so I'm biased to say, try it.

Does anyone have an opinion about #8686? It is a corner aft stateroom, classified as a Junior Suite. On the deck plan, it appears to be wider than it is deep, and the balcony seems to be large when compared to those of other JS staterooms. Does it have a sitting area? I have booked aft staterooms before and haven't had any problems with soot, so I didn't know that it was an issue with this ship. Last month we sailed on Freedom, RCI's biggest ship, so it seemed appropriate to try Empress, their smallest ship. Should be interesting, and it sounds like an wonderful itinerary. I consider any cruise to be a great cruise, so I am sure we will enjoy it. We sail on February 26.

My Empress cruise was one of the best!! Maybe cuz we went to Mardi Gras on her........we stayed docked in New Orleans for 3 whole days........Granted she is a tiny ship,but I only have good memories..................give me the Empress over the Freedom anyday........

Does anyone have an opinion about #8686? It is a corner aft stateroom, classified as a Junior Suite. On the deck plan, it appears to be wider than it is deep, and the balcony seems to be large when compared to those of other JS staterooms. Does it have a sitting area? I have booked aft staterooms before and haven't had any problems with soot, so I didn't know that it was an issue with this ship. .

It says online that all of the Junior Suites are on Deck 9. I'm not sure. CC member Jimbo said that those aft D-1's/JS are smaller and people complained about classifying them as Junior Suites. I find the room pricing and assignments on Empress to be very confusing. I just keep reminding myself that they are small. I am also keeping my fingers crossed that a nicer ship with similar itinerary is deployed before we sail. :D Let us know what you find out, please.

And Mardi Gras from Riverwalk with a floating hotel would be fabulous, PH8!!!!! No matter what the ship. I rememember when you did that cruise. When we did Mardi Gras, we stayed outside of New Orleans, it would have been even more fun to stay near the action.

Does anyone have an opinion about #8686? It is a corner aft stateroom, classified as a Junior Suite. On the deck plan, it appears to be wider than it is deep, and the balcony seems to be large when compared to those of other JS staterooms. Does it have a sitting area? I have booked aft staterooms before and haven't had any problems with soot, so I didn't know that it was an issue with this ship. Last month we sailed on Freedom, RCI's biggest ship, so it seemed appropriate to try Empress, their smallest ship. Should be interesting, and it sounds like an wonderful itinerary. I consider any cruise to be a great cruise, so I am sure we will enjoy it. We sail on February 26.

Yes, this stateroom is sideways and its balcony is rather wide. It is not on the corner of the ship, though. The aft corners of the Empress are exterior staircases, for the use of the crew. However, on several sailings on the Empress, I have seen passengers sitting out there enjoying a quiet place on the ship. The wall is wide between this stair area and the balcony of 8686, so I wouldn't worry about people peering around into your private space.

Soot can be a problem on the aft of the Empress, so don't leave your favorite beach towels or swimsuits out there to dry. Also don't step out there wearing a white dress shirt. The soot is only an occasional problem, but it is good to know about it beforehand.

Bon Voyage~~

Leslie

And Mardi Gras from Riverwalk with a floating hotel would be fabulous, PH8!!!!! No matter what the ship. I rememember when you did that cruise. When we did Mardi Gras, we stayed outside of New Orleans, it would have been even more fun to stay near the action.

That was the last year(2003) RCCL did a Mardi Gras cruise................wish they would do that again........

PS.you have a very good memory!:)

Well of course I remember it PH8, you have like 90 cruises in 4 years (kidding) LOL:D :D I remember when we were still talking/emailing about cruises, and coupons. Friends also accuse me of that memory thing :-)

My FIL lives near New Orleans, so that is why we always watch Mardi Gras cruises and opportunities. I remember that Empress sounded like tons of fun!:)

Southern Caribbean on Empress?....not so much. :p

Thing I dont like about the Empress Southern Caribbean is too many ports and only one sea day.............I mean the ports sounds nice,but it sounds very exhausting to me.......besides,I would proabably spend more $$$ in all those ports than the cost of the cruise itself...........

Not 90.......Im at 29...............of course, all those Sovereigns help:p :p

Soot is an issue on this ship as is vibration.

We did have it on our balcony cabin 7690 but not enough to bother us.

I remember reading some had more than us.

I believe the 8686 cabin has NO sitting area. Read this review.

and some picture links

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=288841&highlight=8686+empress

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/547455552HjLhXT

http://travel.webshots.com/album/59412592QFcRnE

The problem is it is tiered and those above can look down at you.

If you stay to the back of the balcony you will be fine.

Here is a picture i took form 7690 straight up.

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL377/1003796/1940671/136000774.jpg