Mariner Lapel Pins And Madallions

EngineerDel

How wonderful for you Willem. Hope you and your partner have your best World Cruise ever. That sounds so beyond imagination as I write it. :)

How many people will ever experience one full World Cruise and you are ready to embark on your third.

Hope it is fabulous!!! I love the way you say you are off on another 'round of HAL cruises.' :)

Thanks for posting. Did you just find this Board or have you been reading it for a while and chose to start posting today?

Not that it matters; just curious.

Fair winds and a following sea.

How wonderful for you Willem.

' :)

Thanks for posting. Did you just find this Board or have you been reading it for a while and chose to start posting today?

Not that it matters; just curious.

Sail 7 Seas,

I suspect that Willem is posting today because he is not concentrating on the job he has in hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Hallo Willem!!!!! :D

Stephen

Sorry Stephen and Willem.......

If I am supposed to know who Willem is, I admit ignorance. While I know (and am fond of a number of gents named Willem), I don't know which this is.

Sail 7 Seas,

No, I don't think you know who Willem is. Lets just hope for some lively input and discussion from this new memeber.

Stephen

Long live the Queen of the Netherlands and the New to Be Crowned KING ! One true Allie of America! :D :) :cool:/))

From the Magazine | Foreign News

They Who Were Killed

SUBSCRIBE TO TIMEPRINTE-MAILMORE BY AUTHOR

Posted Monday, Aug. 24, 1942

Dutchmen listened to the cold **** voice on the morning broadcast from Hilversum: "In view of the fact that. . . ."

Saboteurs had recently wrecked a train, killing **** troops: **** officials had carefully selected 1,600 prominent Dutchmen as hostages. Their time was up. Continued the voice:

"Despite the very grave warning by the Commander of the Wehrmacht, Air General Christiansen, the perpetrators of the high-explosive attempt near Rotterdam have been too cowardly to give themselves up. The following five hostages have been shot this morning. . . ."

The five: William Ruys, director general of the Rotterdamsche-Lloyd Line; Alexander Baron Schimmelpenninck van der Oije, onetime aide-de-camp to Queen Wilhelmina; Eog Count Limbrug Stirum; Christoffel Bennekers, onetime police inspector of Rotterdam; a Rotterdam attorney named Waalde.

As reports came of the shooting of 96 French war prisoners for refusing to work in a German camp, of the execution of ten Poles for sabotaging railroads, of the slaying of three Norwegians for sheltering Russian marines, tight-lipped Dutchmen buried their five dead.

Wm. Ruys & Zonen, Rotterdam - Red flag, white wide-armed cross, with in the center a blue rectangle charged with "WRZ" in white.

Source: Brown's Flags and Funnels of British and Foreign Steamship Companies, compiled by F.J.N. Wedge, Glasgow, 1926 [wed26]

Jarig Bakker, 16 Dec 2004

::

Stoomvaartmaatschappij Triton (Wm. Ruys & Son), Rotterdam - Red flag, white cross, with in the center a blue rectangle, white "T".

Source: Brown's Flags and Funnels of British and Foreign Steamship Companies, compiled by F.J.N. Wedge, Glasgow, 1926 [wed26]

Jarig Bakker, 1 Jan 2005

Soon off on another round of HAL cruises including my third full world cruise with the line and closing in on 1,000 days with my partner who will be in the President's Club during our two May sailings in the MAASDAM (my favorite) each of us has occasionally been presented at Mariners Party's as the passenger with the most days sailed in Holland America. (If I sail alone I can "win" if not, if we sail together I can't) Afterwards there are always a few others who congratulate for what we view as a dubious achievement. The congratulations remind us that we have spent a big big bundle on HAL over the years and when we hear the nice words think ourselves odd for tossing such sums to the guys in Seattle...and for going to the Mariner's Party in the first place for yet another glass of watery orange juice and a cold meat ball.

We don't wear the pins because we're so addled by so many days at sea we forget to bring them - or have other pins like Royal Viking Skald and Norwegian America Fjord Club pins...

Wear the pins, gang. Leave the bongers in the cabin until the mariner's party.

Willem Ruys...

:cool:

Archived