Alcohol onboard questions, comments, etc. (merged)

picnicpat

If you must smuggle on the plane and ship, please invest in the proper tools. A requirement is good packing material and the most important item the waterproof float bag. These are sold at REI, Dicks, Bass Pro Shops, or any local outdoor camping/canoeing store. They are rubberized bags that you roll up and make them waterproof. If you bottle breaks it will contain the contents. Open your bag in the shower just in case!

jc

Okay... but how does the container affect the product?? Do you know what I mean?? Sometimes the plastic or rubber smell of the container leaves a strange taste or smell to the product that you put into it... A good run through the dishwasher do the trick??

We have Dick's up here, so maybe I'll go check them out... But I do worry about that smell and taste issue... I don't want to lug this stuff onto the ship and then have it ruined because of the container it was packed in...

Thanks for the tip!

Okay... but how does the container affect the product?? Do you know what I mean?? Sometimes the plastic or rubber smell of the container leaves a strange taste or smell to the product that you put into it... A good run through the dishwasher do the trick??

We have Dick's up here, so maybe I'll go check them out... But I do worry about that smell and taste issue... I don't want to lug this stuff onto the ship and then have it ruined because of the container it was packed in...

Thanks for the tip!

The drink is still in the bottle, the container goes outside the bottle to catch any spills when the airline breaks the bottle (note, I did not say if the airline breaks the bottle, I said when the airline breaks the bottle). So I recommend buying the drink of your choice after you are done flying.

Bruin Steve...

I certainly appreciate your taking the time to post your opinion... even more so, I appreciate the respectable way that you presented it...

So far, I think this thread has maintained much more decency and respect than other threads I have seen on the topic... Which is what I was hoping for... a forum for people who can share their tips and tricks without the flood of "it's wrong" all over the place...

It's a touchy issue...

More and more, I think simply having a basket delivered to your stateroom is the best way to go... Buying camping flasks and other equipment just doesn't seem economical or efficient - to me... Sounds to me like I would have to take an extra day off just to set up the whole thing before I pack...

Besides, as I stated earlier, the ship allows the delivery of the baskets so somehow that must not violate their policy... Has anyone had problems with the delivery of said booze baskets??

What I don't want this thread to become is an argument over whether or not it is moral or 'right' or a violation of policy... That doesn't seem like the point... It obviously happens anyway. I want to know is what the best way is, how is it accomplished, what's the etiquette, what's the preferred method and why, what has worked and what hasn't... The details of the crime, if you will...

Does anyone know if I can bring a bottle of wine from JBOY to dinner and if they would charge a corkage? I had read somewhere that if you had a gift in your room from say, your TA then they wouldn't charge a corkage? So, how would they know it isn't a gift?

That's going to depend on the ship - on Monarch and Serenade, our tablemates were not charged corkage for wine they brought from their cabin. On Radiance, somebody was charged corkage for wine he bought FROM RCI through the gifts & gear program. That's right, they charged him an extra $12 because he ordered the wine delivered to his cabin instead of to the dining room, even though it came from the ship's wine cellar in the first place.

As for the Concierge, one of the listed services is to arrange for special events. Now, this isn't going to be free, but I should think that somebody going to the Concierge and asking for a setup for a party with [fill in whatever you want to drink] would be accomodated and expect to pay for the bottles. But I've been incorrect before, if you can believe that!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip!

No,no! You put your bottle of Stoli or Bacardi inside the bag, and if it breaks it doesn't spill on your luggage or more importantly, mine! :D

jc

Just wondering why you find it " incredibly tacky and lackling in class" to bring a bottle or 2(I'm talking wine) onboard for consumption? I don't take wine when I go out to eat, but I also don't have to buy wine out 7 or more nights a week as when on a cruise. It is just a way for me to save money, if I has limitless funds then well then I suppose I would reconsider.

If you see me on a cruise, and I have a "non-purchased" glass of wine, please don't judge me because of that! :) :) :)

So bottle o' booze (don't forget some come in plastic too! less chance of damage:) goes into said container... Said container merely protects the contents of the suitcase...

For the record... I wouldn't even consider taking a glass bottle onboard... I'm a bit brighter than that but I have known people who did... and it ended in tragedy...

Seriously, you should see this product I looked at online earlier... It really does look like an IV bag... I think someone posted the link for this early on in this thread... comes with funnels and everything...

There's obviously a market for this stuff...

Just wondering why you find it " incredibly tacky and lackling in class" to bring a bottle or 2(I'm talking wine) onboard for consumption?

I think he finds it tacky to order a soda in one of the public lounges and then pull out your flask and put your smuggled booze in it. I have to agree. But I'm sure that if we followed him with a camera for a week, we'd see him do SOMETHING tacky!;) Lord knows you'd see me doing something that makes you wince!:eek:

A couple of years ago (before the major policy change) we took a winery tour in Italy, and I brought back two bottles of red - one for me and one for Neil and Godfrey in the Champagne Bar, who both loved wines & could never do a tour of Italian wine country on their schedules. I would have been pretty miffed if they had confiscated the bottle for them, although I suppose there would have been time to get it to them on the last night. I'm just glad I didn't have to deal with that!

Just wondering why you find it " incredibly tacky and lackling in class" to bring a bottle or 2(I'm talking wine) onboard for consumption? I don't take wine when I go out to eat, but I also don't have to buy wine out 7 or more nights a week as when on a cruise. It is just a way for me to save money, if I has limitless funds then well then I suppose I would reconsider.

If you see me on a cruise, and I have a "non-purchased" glass of wine, please don't judge me because of that! :) :) :)

HI LAUDERDALE!!! Reread the posts and you will see...having wine in your cabin is not tacky...taking wine to the dining room and offering to pay the corkage fee is not tacky.:D

We sailed on Mariner last month. We carried on our cooler on wheels with soda's and mixers - not a word was said and we sailed right through the metal detectors. We packed many bottles of wine and several boxes of mini bottles in our checked luggage. We, too used bubble wrap and seal a meal to secure. We received every bit of our "contraband" and had our "mini bar" set up in our room - again our steward did not say a word, nor did the waiters in Chops and Portafino when we would take a bottle of wine to dinner - they only complimented our wine selection that we brought on board. No worries, our sail pass card was still over a grand!

We sailed on Mariner last month. We carried on our cooler on wheels with soda's and mixers - not a word was said and we sailed right through the metal detectors. We packed many bottles of wine and several boxes of mini bottles in our checked luggage. We, too used bubble wrap and seal a meal to secure. We received every bit of our "contraband" and had our "mini bar" set up in our room - again our steward did not say a word, nor did the waiters in Chops and Portafino when we would take a bottle of wine to dinner - they only complimented our wine selection that we brought on board. No worries, our sail pass card was still over a grand!

HI HARLOW2!!! You have just given me a great idea!!! All the pax who spend at leat $500 on their onboard account should be given a pass on all "the private stock" they want to bring onboard. It would be easy for them to check your account each day to make sure you are drinking...errr...living up to their expectations!!! GREAT IDEA!!!:D

HOW ABOUT THIS ONE!!! All past pax who have spent an exorbitant amount on their onboard account should get membership in a new RCI club...call it "THE CAPTAINS CIRCLE"...or some such thing. They can be given a lapel pin (so the bartenders will recognize them) and they get to bring onboard what ever they like or they get special privilages at the oboard store...LOL. This could solve all of RCI's problems!!!

We have had great success with this product.. http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/ just put in ziploc and wrap in bubble wrap...

When are you traveling the mariner??? we are going in Jan

That has to be one of the best travel inventions EVER... Certainly beats the old Poland Spring or old mouthwash bottles.

Thanks for the link!!!!!!!

We sailed Mariner last February and brought 24 cans of Heineken in our checked luggage, no problem whatsoever.

We still bought some drinks on board and a wine package for dinner so we gave RCCL some booze money, just had a little stash in our room.

Have fun......so excited......just booked Freedom in March a few minutes ago.

Is there a duty free inside the ship terminal in fort lauderdale? We have been buying it and just putting it in our carry on and taking it through. This was in Barcelona and last year in san Juan. Thanks for the help. We have a lot of drinkers on the jewel in jan

Is there a duty free inside the ship terminal in fort lauderdale? We have been buying it and just putting it in our carry on and taking it through. This was in Barcelona and last year in san Juan. Thanks for the help. We have a lot of drinkers on the jewel in jan

That is the part that I don't understand. Last year we saw the store while boarding been in San Juan. (In fact we had already been informed of said store by cc members on this very site).

So my question is, why can you buy it right there when technically your not supposed to carry it on and take it to your cabin? :confused:

Anybody have an answer?

when you buy liquor duty free, they usually take it from you as you are getting back on the boat and they hold it until you debark... at which time you can take it home to enjoy...

but I've known people who took it right back to their cabins...

I think it all boils down to personal responsibility... if you take on a whole bunch and then proceed to act like an idiot... you're going to run into problems...

taking a bit on and then being discreet (not acting like a drunken idiot) seems to be perfectly acceptable to the cruiselines...

That is the part that I don't understand. Last year we saw the store while boarding been in San Juan. (In fact we had already been informed of said store by cc members on this very site).

So my question is, why can you buy it right there when technically your not supposed to carry it on and take it to your cabin? :confused:

Anybody have an answer?

There is no rule against taking alcoholic drinks on the ship, in fact you can buy alcoholic drinks in the ship's stores. The ships just don't want you taking the alcoholic drinks back to your cabin.