A Request Regarding Attachments

Host Walt

The majority of our members use dial-up connections to access the Cruise Critic Message Boards.

Those of us who have broadband (DSL, Cable, T-1, etc. connections) easily forget the problem with loading very large posts, made large by photo attachments.

Please try to limit your attachments to one small photo, and only when that photo is important to your post.

In order to make the boards operate efficiently for dial-up members, we will remove large volume attachments from posts when the attachment does not enhance the message in the post.

Thank you for understanding.

Please try to limit your attachments to one small photo, and only when that photo is important to your post.

I understand that entirely. Just for information purposes, how big is too big before you remove them?

In the past I've noted that the best way to handle a big photo is to link it (not post it) and, perhaps, display a thumbnail photo.

There isn't a standard because a 1 MB photo may be very important to a thread but a 50kb photo that is only marginally relateds to the post will go.

I really would like everyone to think about the folks who access via dial up before posting any photos.

Rev's made the best point. If your photo is accessible by a hyperlink, it would be far better to post the link (as RevNeal has done) instead of the photo.

Sometimes that's not possible so please be thoughtful.

Thanks.

Can I make a couple of other suggestions for people on dialup connections who are irritated by the time it takes for images to download? (I have dialup at home, so I am usually taking one or both of these steps.)

Switch off the vBulletin option of showing images

If you do this, all images (including those in signatures) automatically appear as hyperlinks, so when you click them, a new window opens up with the picture inside it. That way you can choose which pictures to look at when you read the post.

To do this:-

• Go to your User CP (use the link in the top left hand corner of the page)
  • Go to Edit Options (from the list on the left hand side)
  • Go to Thread Display Options
  • Uncheck the box for Show Images
  • Then go to the bottom and Save Changes

Disable the automatic showing of pictures by your browser

If you do this, then instead of the pictures displaying automatically, you will get a small square box with a little icon in it, the same as you sometimes see if a picture is slow to download from its site.

To do this (in Internet Explorer):-

• Go to Tools (in the browser menu bar) and then Options
  • Click on the Advanced tab
  • Go to the Multimedia section
  • Uncheck the box for Show Pictures
  • Click OK

When you want to see one of the pictures that have been posted, you just do this:-

• Point your cursor to the placeholder (that square box)
  • Right click on it
  • In the menu that pops up, left click in Show Picture

The picture will then download.

Both of these changes are readily reversible by the same methods, so you aren't doing any harm or damage to your computer by trying these.

Globalizer,

I see you found the best feature on this new board. I found it the first day this board was active.

I have DSL but I hate looking at all those big signature pictures. It just clutters everything up.

I always felt bad for those with dial up since people insisted on using big pictures and made it very difficult for the dial up users.

I have DSL but I hate looking at all those big signature pictures. It just clutters everything up.
Agreed. I've also had signatures off since day 1, although I do turn them on when trying to help people out with their clocks and such like to see how they're getting on.

The other vBulletin 3 board that I use has recently disabled all signatures because people were getting out of hand with them. But to each board its own - and it's their sandbox, not mine! :)

On the old boards I could title the link instead of posting the URL or picture. Is this possible with the new format?

Yes. Please e-mail me directly for instructions. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, consider that if you want to include your pictures, the best place to post might be one of the other sections of the boards like the Floataway Lounge or Theme Cruises.

You can always link there from here like so http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=1701146#post1701146

All I did was post the address from my browser title line into this post then click on the Insert Link picture above and paste the address in there.

Archived