Question about T-shirts in Dining Room

ptngr

Now that I've gotten your attention, I'm not talking about beefy-tees, fruit-of-the-looms, or logo tees here. :eek: I'm talking about the "nicer" fitted type t-shirts.

The reason I ask is that I keep hearing "no t-shirts in dining room", but practically all my shirts are t-shirts, but they are of varying degree of dressiness and I'm just wondering what level of dressiness is really required.

Wouldn't you agree that something like this t-shirt, when paired with the right bottom or maybe a suit could be appropriate for informal or maybe even formal night?

Of all the t-shirts on this page, I can only see one that I think would be definitely inappropriate for the dining room on casual night (The patch-pocket tee on the bottom left). The rest of them, seems to me, would be just fine if paired with the right bottom, maybe with a cardigan over some of them, etc. Do any of you disagree? Which shirts do y'all think would be unacceptable for casual nights?

Many of them would probably even work on informal night, don't you think? I can see the first one with a dressy skirt, for example. Or the silk tee in 4th row, 3 column with a suit, etc.

Please tell me I'm not completely off-based because I like my clothes, have always found them adequate and don't feel like going shopping!!

Thank you in advanced.

I don't think they mean those types of t-shirts. What they're talking about are Hanes-style undershirts, or t-shirts with gaudy writing or prints on them. Some of those tops would be nice for casual nights or maybe semi-formal nights, but I really can't see any of them for formal evenings. Not even the shiny one. Some of them would really look great under a suit jacket for a beautiful semi-formal look, paired with jewelry and a really strappy sandal.

PTNGR,

The links you posted are NOT the kind of tee's that the cruiselines want to ban from the dining room.

The ones you posted really are "knit tops". Yes, some are more casual than others, but none are the ugly tee shirts that some people consider wearing into dinner.

These are fine. Buy the ones you like and enjoy. You'll look just terrific!

Jane

Yeah, calling those "tee-shirts" is a bit off-target, IMHO.

Keep in mind that they have this type of top for men as well, "Dress Tees" if-you-will. They go great under suit jackets and sport jackets in most any circumstance other than a funeral, and many men find them more comfortable than long-sleeve shirts that take ties.

The rule is designed to preclude underwear, work out gear & T shirts with messages on them. Even then, on casual night I doubt any cruise line would turn away a passanger wearing a T-shirt advertsing that cruise line. ;)

DH has two silk t's he wears with a sport jacket on smart casual nights on RCI. Looks great.

Collarless knit tops for women look fine in the dining room, dressed up with jackets for more dressy nights.

Thank you everybody.

That's a load of my mind. I thought it's probably the case that "knit top" type tees are acceptable but just wanted to be sure so I don't have to eat room service all week!

I have some "regular" different colored cotton t-shirts that I plan to wear. I usually wear a nice black blazer (crepe) and dressy black pants (a bit wide and flowing) with a t-shirt underneath (bright red or pale blue)..then accessorize! Have a nice sequined red rose flower pin I will add to the jacket, and a rhinestone baby blue watch when I wear the blue, along with baby blue flower crystal earrings and matching necklace.

The other look I love is all black: black t-shirt, pants and blazer which I accessorize with lots of gold (earrings, watch chain, pin) w/patent leather low pumps! :)

Tops shown are, in my opinion, perfect for casual and maybe some of them OK for semi-formal with a jacket but I personnally would not wear a top like that for formal nights.

Archived