Which room should we choose?

laing1

We are going on Oceania Insignia Oct.7 2007, 11 day Western Mediterranean. Do I choose the deluxe ocean view stateroom (most cabins are on the 4th floor) or do we get the veranda room on level 6? Is it too cool in the Mediterranean in Oct to use the veranda? Is the 4th floor too...low on the ship? We are first time cruisers and need your vast experience!

We are booked on Oct 2nd, Regatta, Venice to Barcelona. First cruise for us too! So I watched the temps this year for the dates we will be away. It was 70s-low 80s at the start of Oct in Venice, stayed in 70s as we headed west, and was coolest in Barcelona-60s. We have a balcony room, and expect to be on it lots!

Marian

I for one think balconies are over-rated, particularly on port-intensive itineraries.

We've been "down" on deck 4 on Regatta (4031) into the Baltic Aug 05, and it was fine.

We'll be "down" on deck 4 again on Nautica, (4032), later in the month, Istanbul to Singapore via the Suez.

Lower cabins do have less movement in heavy seas.

We did have a balcony (6051) on Pacific Princess (new), a sister to the Oceania ships, Papeete to Sydney, Aug 03, and it was fine on those South Pacific sea days.

We love a balcony on a port intensive cruise--sipping wine on our balcony after a sightseeing day, enjoying the view of the port we've just toured is a wonderful end to the day. We've taken two Med cruises on oceania in october, and it was warm enough to use the balcony every day.

Is there much difference between B1 and B2? I can see that B2 tends to have rooms at the front and the back while B1 is in the middle where I assume it is a little more stable. Do you/ have felt more motion near the front or back? Is it noisy at the front with the dance floor being up there? They will not tell me a room, it is only guaranteed that you will get a balcony. I'm afraid of seasickness and wonder by having a balcony if you get to feel better because of the fresh air.

Well I decided on the veranda, based on the idea of sitting out there with (as mentioned) a glass of wine pre dinner or cup of coffee in the early morning.Thanks to those who responded. Now I guess I have to hope that they don't put us at the front where as mentioned I guess there is possibly more movement. How and when do they "divi up" these cabins? Is it the luck of the draw?? Laing- Barrie, Ontario

- Barrie, Ontario

Howdy Neighbour! We are across the lake at the bottom end! :D

Near the big marina there...you probably know where I mean!;)

No matter what cabin you will have a great time.

Enjoy the cruise

laing1 -

If you like the idea of having a balcony, consider cabins 6090 or 6093. Both are B1 cabins looking aft, sandwiched between two suites. Balconies don't come any larger. We enjoyed cabin & balcony #6090 last March on the Regatta Miam-Barcelona, and are booked in #6093 for a return trip Barcelona-Miami next year.

Take a look at that balcony: http://www.juergen.smugmug.com/gallery/1371495/1/64707813

Regards,

You have solved the mystery! I kept reading about people wanting these "aft" cabins and could never figured out where they were talking about. Your room is IT! I would love that room but somehow Oceania just figure out where we go I guess and I can simply cross my fingers! Hey I didn't know they had washers and dryers!!That's fantastic! Your pictures are so wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing them with me!

Do you mean across the whole lake and down at the bottom or in K bay? You know the number of marinas on our lake! You folks must spend all your time on the water in both the summer AND the winter!!! We also love to get away in the winter a couple of times but are accustomed to nice resorts in Mexico and the Carribean. We will give cruising a try and see if we like it. Should be fun!!

and I'm in Newmarket, work at Southlake!! I wrote to tell you this is our first cruise and we took the balcony. We are fortunate enough to have enough Air Canada points to fly over on Lufthansa, First Class(!!!), so we will get some credit for the air. It will help to pay for the rest of our trip...we've added 3 nights in Venice pre-cruise, and go from Barcelona to London and Paris for 3 nights each.

To laing1,

I have a question for you. If you are booked on a cruise a year from now, why didn't you get a firm cabin number. We never book any cruise without knowing where our cabin is located. We book the cabin we want and if it is not available, we take another one and waitlist for our first choice. This way, there are NO surprises.

We have been on Oceania three times and other lines about 25 times.

Sheila

Good question!!! I haven't a clue why we don't have a room number. I just left it up to the TA to book Oceania for us. What do I do now? Do I call her back and say why don't we have aroom number, do I call Oceania. I am in complete agreement. With this being our first cruise I don't want to be at the front and find I don't have "sea legs" and the cruise is awful. I'm fine on our own boat and on larger lakes here in Ontario, but did experience a little" oh lordy give me some air" on a Mississippi paddle boat trip!!! Ok suggestions as to what I do now?:rolleyes:

Good question!!! I haven't a clue why we don't have a room number. I just left it up to the TA to book Oceania for us. What do I do now?

Call the TA ask her to find out what cabins are available then look on the deck plan and choose one that suits.

Yes at this point you should be able to choose your cabin.

If there is one you want that is not available as to be waitlisted for it.

I just called Oceania and asked what rooms are available fro Oct 7 and she said," sorry all we have are guarantees which means we can't give you a room # but might upgrade you later". Right..and horses might fly!Talk about frustrating!

I just called Oceania and asked what rooms are available fro Oct 7 and she said," sorry all we have are guarantees which means we can't give you a room # but might upgrade you later". Right..and horses might fly!Talk about frustrating!

Don't rule out an upgrade.;)

After final payment date some cabins open up.

We got an upgrade on our first O cruise.

Be sure to check in online and fill out your guest registration form.

You will need your booking number

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/T_MainContentPage.aspx?PageUID=f0c97e34-9636-47eb-8d9b-acd1bdc66bb3&Secure=True

Don't dispair...of the 16 people (8 cabins) worth of people, some on Gty some with actual cabins..who are on our "Roll Call" for Nautica11/15 .ALL of them were upgraded,some 2-4 grades to balcony from inside, unusual I agree, all at last min.:)

We have been bumped up from Cat D to Cat C1, room 6005. The online deck plan seems to indicate that this room is rather large. This is one of 4 similar rooms on decks 6 & 7. It seems to be about the same size as the cabin and veranda next door. Is anyone familiar with these particular rooms?:confused:

Sis-in-law and her hubby had similar cabin, deck 7, on Regatta August last year into the Baltic, while we were down in the basement, deck 4.

Yes, they are larger - but anchor noise and thruster noise gave them early morning wake-ups, not always welcome!

We had a smooth water trip - but I would not want to be that far forward in heavy seas.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience with cabins 8090 or 8093? From the deck plans, it is difficult to tell whether this is a shared balcony, or if there is something on the balcony. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

"Is it too cool in the Mediterranean in Oct to use the veranda?"

Not at all. We were on the 10/20/06 Venice to Barcelona Regatta cruise in 7119. The weather was wonderful -- sunny and mostly in the 70s. We spent many hours on the balcony.

Archived