Oosterdam dining question

CruisinNana

With the new expanded dining arrival times, (8:00 - 9:00), is the photo area just as crowded as it used to be when there was a set dining time making it difficult to get to the dining room? I will be with a friend who is in a wheelchair, and I remember how crowded it was getting to the upper dining room on foot, and I thought maybe someone who has experienced the new dining times had a suggestion as to what time to go so it won't be so crowded and I can push the wheelchair more easily through this entrance.

With the new expanded dining arrival times, (8:00 - 9:00), is the photo area just as crowded as it used to be when there was a set dining time making it difficult to get to the dining room? I will be with a friend who is in a wheelchair, and I remember how crowded it was getting to the upper dining room on foot, and I thought maybe someone who has experienced the new dining times had a suggestion as to what time to go so it won't be so crowded and I can push the wheelchair more easily through this entrance.

It's very crowded from 8:00 until 8:10. We just danced until 8:10 and then walked right in

Navy...Please explain how the dining option works. I have been on NCL and hated freestyle. I am scheduled for an Oosterdam cruise in Jan. Am waitlisted for 8PM seating. Do NOT want early. I chose HAL again due to the traditional approach. What is the solution to my delimma? I don't want new tablemates every night.:(

Navy...Please explain how the dining option works. I have been on NCL and hated freestyle. I am scheduled for an Oosterdam cruise in Jan. Am waitlisted for 8PM seating. Do NOT want early. I chose HAL again due to the traditional approach. What is the solution to my delimma? I don't want new tablemates every night.:(

HAL does not have freestyle (I will avoid Norwegian because of it - also the lack of formality seems to encourage sloppy dress -- and conduct - in the Norwegian dining rooms). Your 8:00 PM seating only means that you can go to your assigned table any time form 7:30 to 8:00 -- you will always have the same table-mates. The only change from the traditional is the relaxed timing -- because everyone at my table agreed to show up at the same time, there was no noticeable effect. I just think it more pleasant to dine in a group when all sit down at the same time.

HAL does not have freestyle (I will avoid Norwegian because of it - also the lack of formality seems to encourage sloppy dress -- and conduct - in the Norwegian dining rooms). Your 8:00 PM seating only means that you can go to your assigned table any time form 7:30 to 8:00 -- you will always have the same table-mates. The only change from the traditional is the relaxed timing -- because everyone at my table agreed to show up at the same time, there was no noticeable effect. I just think it more pleasant to dine in a group when all sit down at the same time.

My table will definitely show up at the same time, but I thought the time schedule was between 8 and 9 rather than 7:30 to 8.

navybankerteacher, I understand that what you're describing---Leisure Dining---will be changed on the Oosterdam in January.

By then that ship will be trying a new experiment in which the upper level will be the traditional 5:45/8:00 dining times, but the lower level will be closer to the "Freestyle" concept.

That's what 10s nut will probably be sailing under.

I'm on the 1/13/07 sailing of the Oosterdam. I have been told that they will have the "As you Will" or something like that dining. HAL has explained via email that the lower dining room will be freestyle - come when you went and that upper dining will have the traditional times/dining.

We apparently have been wait listed from the 8pm seating. Hoping to get that fixed before we sail.

However, I understand (and would appreciate clarification) that your party can arrive at the lower dining at what time and be seated. I do not know if you can switch between the 2 types of dining depending on your whim.

I was on the Oosterdam 3 weeks ago and had early seating. We were advised that the arrival time should be between 5:30 and 6P. We had originally asked for early upper which should have been at 5:45P. You can arrive for either level between the times they ask. After 6P the doors will be closed. Believe them when they tell you that! One of our tablemates, a single woman arrived at the door on the third night at 6:10P and they would not let her in. She found her way to the Lido and had dinner there with others she knew. Try to arrive at the dining room door early as opposed to waiting for the crowd to clear. I think for the 2 late seatings the time frame to arrive is 8-9P. They had 1/2 hr more grace period.

Archived