Spring/Summer 2007 Fashion Report - For your Cruise!

Jane110

Hi all,

I just came home from a Spring/Summer 2007 fashion forecast and while it's still fresh in my mind, I thought I'd post some of the trends I saw. Hopefully, this will be inspiring for many of you out shopping for cruisewear.

Bear in mind that this is Haute Couture and Designer and from the runways of Milan, London, Paris and New York. This is what the top designers are showing and this is where the trends start. So what I write about will show up in an interpreted version for the rest of the RTW (ready to wear) world. The designers featured were the most influential in the fashion world....to name some: Chanel, Chaddo Ralph Rucci, Marni, Dior, Lanvin, Prada, Yohji Yamamoto, Valentino, Derek Lam, Marc Jacobs, Louis Vuitton, Stella McCartney, Balenciaga, Yeohlee, Dries Van Noten, Alexander McQueen, Molinari, Redarte, Burberry Prorsum and Proenza Schouler. (google any you're not familiar with)

Also note that this is a report of facts, not my opinion. I like some things and dislike others and I'm leaving personal bias out. <except where noted> It's a report that will hopefully help you in cruise shopping choices as well as for editing through the "in" and "out" stuff in your closet. You'll love some stuff, you'll hate others. It's all about looking at fashion and taking the elements that work best for us in consideration of our figures, our lifestyles and our budgets.

I'll be as concise as possible, but bear with me for not taking hours to create a more cohesive and unified report. CC isn't paying me for my time and I just don't have much of it right now. :)

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Well, the good news and the bad news is that there aren't any BIG STRONG trends. So many things will continue on from last year.....

The stongest THEMES to emerge are: the Romantic look - ode to a ballerina in practice. Marc Jacobs is doing this well as is Lous Vuitton. Also strong is the ode to the Athletic look especially championed by Jean Paul Gaultier with his oversized football jackets and high heeled sneakers. No doubt this will influence alot of sporty looks especially since this year marks the 80th anniversary of the sweatshirt. The Menswear Look is popular again. Look for menswear inspired suits worn w/ ties and fedora's. Tuxedo shirts and Tuxedo shirt dresses were strong elements of Yamamoto's collections as well as Ralph Lauren's. Last big theme is Techno Futurism with designers like Hussein Chalayan featuring clothing with micro chips that slide up into a hat leaving the model naked. This was jokingly suggested as the future or airline travel. LOL!

No major COLOR trends. Black & White are predominate colors (or non-colors) and then you'll see alot of purple, yellow and cobalt. The newest color of the season is called "Strawberry Ice" and is a mix of pink and orange - so it's easier to wear than its components are on their own.

However, SILVER SILVER SILVER is hot! So buy those silver shoes and bags for this season's cruise knowing they'll still be au courant next summer! Silver bags and trench coats are also popular.

DRESSES are strong in sheath/chemise shapes. With and without belts. (belts still a hot fashion item). Dresses are all lengths - mini, knee-length and a few inches below the knee. This spring the dress is seen as more of a layering piece than an entity on its own. Wear them over tee-shirts, shorts, leggings and pants of all lengths. Obviously, which dress over which pants will separate the fashion chic from the fashion clueless.

JACKETS are still popular in the short length, but they're loosened up and boxy. The long blazer is emerging as a trend. Lapels are shrinking, so look for skinny, skinny lapels and buttons that come up closer to the neck. The key jacket of the season is the anorak and it's especially cool looking in the sheer fabrics.

ACCESSORIES: Shoes are a continuation of last year with wedges, high heels, ballerina flats all still strong. A pair of silver leather ballerina flats will keep you in the forefront of key looks. For handbags, the clutch bag is most important in all sizes. You'll see quite a few in see-thru styles too. (done by Chanel and Marc Jacobs) The "huge bag" has gone bye-bye and popular shapes have drawstrings or are squished and python and other exotic skins are popular.

For the head, the headband continues to be strong and the popular hats are the fedora, the panama and turbans <oy!>making a comeback.

PANTIES - yup, panties. <sigh> Chanel is showing sequined ones worn with a a tuxedo jacket for "evening wear". And Rick Owens is showing them then under layers of chiffon. The panties are full cut - high to the waist and full coverage, no butt hanging out the bottom. (Personally, I can only see a celebrity who needs alot of camera attention showing up in them. But I digress....you read it here first, folks)

I guess they're what hotpants were way back when.....

FABRICS - The two most popular are satin and jersey. Designer Stephen Burrows who set the fashion world on fire in 1973 with his all jersey collection in Paris has done it again this year and is once again the new darling of Paris with his jersey collection of pretty dresses. Transparent fabrics, like tulle, are a key look and done in many layers for modesty or shown over solid pieces. Stella McCartney sews sheer fabric over her jeans and many designers have a transparent film over their sequin eveningwear. Sequins for evening are popular in both shiny and matt finishes. Laundered fabrics add softness and a romantic look to the collections - laundered silk taffeta will be seen for eveningwear as well as chic daytime pieces like trench coats and anoraks. Vera Wang has created washed organza's and lame's and trendsetting Lanvin showed gorgeous laundered satins.

FINISHING TOUCHES Everything's coming up Roses. Tulle fabric crafted into rose shapes, roses embroidered or painted onto clothing, roses peeking out from hat brims, sewn on shoe ribbons tied around the ankles, placed on jacket sleeves, on skirt hems, made from jersey on Stephen Burrow gowns. Roses have sprung for spring.

And bottlecaps (the kind that you need an opener to get off the bottle) were seen handpainted on Prada's eveningwear and Vuitton used them to adorn handbags. Att: home sewers....start saving them and use for your spring creations! Also trending is Estate Jewelry and it's look alikes which enhance the ballerina romantic looks and teardrop earrings are popular. Big Sunglasses are a continuing trend. <yippee!>

Thaaat's all folks!

Jane

It was nice of you to write a report for the rest of us! :) Thank you!

So glad to hear that ballet flats are still going to be in- I love mine- and I'm also pleased about the belts, as I'm not quite ready to give up my big belts yet. :D

Thanks Jane

Interesting that silver is hot, I have been searching (in vain!) for a silver sheer evening shawl/wrap. All the shop assistants have been telling me silver is out!

I guess the high street is always a couple of years behind....:rolleyes:

Jane, thanks for enlightening us about what is new in fashion.

I'm glad that silver is hot - since I've let my hair go au naturel (silver), it s a great colour for me (especially when paired with black or royal blue).

Glad to see that big handbags are gone - I have enough problems with my shoulder without shlepping a big bag over it. The bigger the bag the more stuff I seem to haul around. A clutch will make me carry only the necessities.

Longer blazers - woohoo! The shorter length that seems to be everywhere now just doesn't work for me - I have HIPS that look considerably larger when I've tried these shorter blazers on.

Hi all,

FINISHING TOUCHES Everything's coming up Roses. Tulle fabric crafted into rose shapes, roses embroidered or painted onto clothing, roses peeking out from hat brims, sewn on shoe ribbons tied around the ankles, placed on jacket sleeves, on skirt hems, made from jersey on Stephen Burrow gowns. Roses have sprung for spring.

Jane

Reading this reminds me of Angela from Project Runway and her rosettes -- or whatever she called them. Just kidding, I'm sure these designers did it in a much better way. ;)

Thanks for takeing the time to write the report.

I think the see through bags from Chanel are a results of the "tighter security measures" in London and this was probably a better idea than a zip lock bag (what I read in one magazine), hopefully that's all it will be used for.

Silver, hmm, well guess I'm glad I kept a pair of Choos from about 2 or 3 summers ago. Silver ballet flats.

And I agree with Sue, I am glad the short jackets are going out, I prefer a long one myself and I like the boxy look too.

Love black and white.

Thanks again!:)

PANTIES - yup, panties. <sigh> Chanel is showing sequined ones worn with a a tuxedo jacket for "evening wear". And Rick Owens is showing them then under layers of chiffon. The panties are full cut - high to the waist and full coverage, no butt hanging out the bottom. (Personally, I can only see a celebrity who needs alot of camera attention showing up in them. But I digress....you read it here first, folks)

Gold Sequined Panties: The Ideological Work of Sex and the City by Matt Kegler

from

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/wilso775/culturalstudies/2006/04/gold_sequined_panties_the_ideo.html

Thanks Jane

Interesting that silver is hot, I have been searching (in vain!) for a silver sheer evening shawl/wrap. All the shop assistants have been telling me silver is out!

I guess the high street is always a couple of years behind....:rolleyes:

I looked for one as well for my early October cruise and couldn't find a thing and ended up with a very pale sheer gray wrap (bought on the ship for $10). But I've definitely got the silver shoes covered!

Jane, thanks so much for giving us access to your fashion world. I know it will take forever for most of it to get to Oklahoma, though.

All the shop assistants have been telling me silver is out!

sensible white cotton granny panties that come up almost to our armpits, wispy silk panties that flutter in the breeze like prayer flags, sequined panties for circus girls, exquisite black lace thongs that retail for $25, Day of the Week panties that remind us we have a staff meeting, metallic silver astronaut panties, green camouflage panties for the warrior princess, rufflebutt panties for our inner child, shiny satin numbers that make us feel like Lauren Bacall in Key Largo, and Calvins that make us feel like one of the guys.

from

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/tw/2000-09-29/bot_shop8.html

Glad you're enjoying it.

I didn't mean to imply that Gold was out. Gold is still being shown - Vera Wang and Helmut Lang both featured it. It was merely that silver is the more dominant color.

As a redhead, silver can be difficut for my coloring.

I've always been a gold digger! LOL!!!

BlueHerons, I bet your Mom's 1950 clutch looks really perfect now!

Derf, thanks for the SITC panty article. Very interesting commentary. I remember that episode. BTW, because of all the platform shoes for next spring, there were more models falling on runways than every before this season. The runways are either very slick and the edge of the wedge too easily slides out from under the foot, or the runway is covered with a felt which catches the heel of the shoe. Couple that with the requisite "runway gait" and many models slip - though they usually catch themselves before a fall. However, this season I saw many clips from actual falls as well as a fall from one of the shows I attended.

Jane, thanks! Glad to hear I've been "in" for about 40 years...I love black and white and wear it all the time.;) Forget silver...I, too am a gold person and could care less what's in or out in jewelry. Gold and more gold is my motto!!!!

Esther

Thanks for the report Jane!

I'm so glad I shopped the end of last summer - the-powers-that-be seem to want to follow a good year or two of browns and other muted colors with that (edited) bla**, white & silver stuff! :eek: :p

My bronze heels are just going to have to get me thru until gold ones get back on the shelves! :D

As far as I'm concerned gold is a classic and should _never_ever_ be "out"!!!

How apropos that I have my mothers silver clutch from the 1950s?

OOOhh...I'm envious! What a fabulous, sentimental accessory!

Jane, thanks for taking the time to post the update for us. I, for one, really do appreciate it. :)

BTW, because of all the platform shoes for next spring, there were more models falling on runways than every before this season. The runways are either very slick and the edge of the wedge too easily slides out from under the foot, or the runway is covered with a felt which catches the heel of the shoe. Couple that with the requisite "runway gait" and many models slip - though they usually catch themselves before a fall. However, this season I saw many clips from actual falls as well as a fall from one of the shows I attended.

Oh my gosh, I remember those platform shoes from the late 70's...that's one of the things I said I would never wear again, and I'm gonna have to stick to my guns on this one! :p They were sooooo ugly that I'm embarrassed to look at the pics my mom took back then. :o

Oh my gosh, I remember those platform shoes from the late 70's...that's one of the things I said I would never wear again, and I'm gonna have to stick to my guns on this one! :p They were sooooo ugly that I'm embarrassed to look at the pics my mom took back then. :o

Platforms came back again sometime in the mid to late 90's, does anyone remember?

Maybe not in the USA, but it was definitely a Brit thing.

I wore them then, although they weren't as extreme as the 70's ones!

Well I won't be fashionable then, as I simply refuse to wear platforms. I hated them the first time around and I won't wear them this time since I think ballet flats will always be around.

Ciderapple, I hear grey jeans are all the rage in London?

I have no idea! I've been living out here in Southern Maryland (very rural) for the last 2 1/2 years, so feeling abit out of touch with UK fashion :o

Archived