Vision of Seas sustains Propeller damage

localady

Yesterday while we on the Ryndam where enjoying our trip to Hubbard Glacier we saw the Vision of the Seas also at the Glacier. I remarked to my husband how close the Vision was to the Glacier itself, MUCH closer than our Capt. Jan Smit would allow....Well today while is Seward we learn that the Vision of the Seas was delayed for more than 6 hours as they had damaged one of their Propellers while at the Hubbard Glacier.:eek: As there is no dry dock in Seward I suppose the Vision of the Seas will limp back to Vancouver.

I guess the moral to the story is that we got a fantastic view of Hubbard Glacier, albeit not as close, and we have a ship that sustained no damage. From what I could see it appears the Captain of the other Ship was being a real hot dog by taking them so close to the Glacier, gambled and failed.:rolleyes: My heart goes out to the folks embarking the Vision today, as I would imagine there will be some shore time lost due to the Ships speed with the damage. :(

It will be interesting to learn factually what happened. While not an impossibility, I find it hard to see where a modern ship's captain would "hot dog" and risk not only his vessel and passengers but his career as well. Fact is, it's a challenge going into Glacier Bay, College Fjord, and similar glacier beds. Calved ice is everywhere, as you can see when you're entering. Pieces can drift toward and under the ship ... and those chunks are often like icebergs; there's more underneath the water than you see above. It could be just an unfortunate meeting between a stray mini-berg and the screw.

Well, the captain of the Sky did that on its, maybe third trip, first revenue voyage in the New World. He was taking it out of Saguenay Fjord and disregarded the pilots' advice so he could give the pax a better view of something. Ran the thing aground to the tune of $12 million. My brother worked at the shipyard across from Quebec City where they drydocked it. His son, with connections to the maritime industry there, provided some of the information.

Well, the captain of the Sky did that on its, maybe third trip, first revenue voyage in the New World. He was taking it out of Saguenay Fjord and disregarded the pilots' advice so he could give the pax a better view of something. Ran the thing aground to the tune of $12 million.
And you can see the official accident investigation report here. (You can also get a PDF version here.)

(That grounding was also indirectly responsible for my participating in a very alcoholic evening on board the Norway about a month later, when a senior officer was buying (at crew rates, of course). One of the others in the group was reportedly unable to emerge from bed until 7 pm the next day. But that, as they say, is another story altogether ...)

Despite was has been said, I saw the Vision of the Seas and how perilously close that Ship got to the Hubbard Glacier. Many people did miss their connections out of Anchorage yesterday:eek: . It is a shame and I am just glad that our Capt. decided to play it safe!!!!

Very happy to report that the Visions of the Seas did make it to Hubbard Glacier and appeared to be under full power once again. I was told that there were underwater divers at the Pier in Seward, hopefully they have been able to correct the problem. It was fantastic on the Hubbard Glacier yesterday, with a huge amount of calving of very large chunks!! Then this morning we went on the Otter Quest here in Sitka, and found a pod of whales, numbering at least a dozen, that kept us entertained also!! Sitka is sunny for the most part, they tell us it's the first day it's been sunny since the Ryndam was here last week!:cool:

Could it possibly be that the "hot dog" captain was closer to the glacier than you thought appropriate because he had already sustained some damage in the channel area from floating ice, and was now drifting while accessing the damage before moving out? Does anyone out there really believe that the captain of a major cruise line would intentionally put his ship and passengers at risk? Of course not!

Before we bash another cruise line (we all know that HAL is just about perfect...just read the posts here), why not find out the facts. They, not posters on this board, will reveal the truth.

Mark T.

Despite was has been said, I saw the Vision of the Seas and how perilously close that Ship got to the Hubbard Glacier. Many people did miss their connections out of Anchorage yesterday:eek: . It is a shame and I am just glad that our Capt. decided to play it safe!!!!

My husband and I were on the VOS when it had its "problem". Here is what I know - and it is not much. We were told that we hit the offending material as we exited the glacier. We did not even know it had happened until the Capt. came on to explain why we had gone off course and were slowing down. Divers weresent down and later that day we were told of the prop damage.

It is true that we did get rather close to the glacier but I cannot tell you how close as my sense of distance was not good out there (when we were 1 mile from the it, I thought I could reach out and touch it). What is funny is we were watching the Ryndam and it looked like it was plowing through a more dense area of the ice and from the distance looked as close to the glacier as we were. It is interesting to read the posts from those passengers.

We arrived in Seward at about 9:30 am (Capt told us he would ordinarily dock around 3-4 am). The first passengers were off by 10:30. We had a land tour which left about 11:30 (3 hours late). There was minimal inerruption to our tour (shorter lunch break and later arrival at hotel)

The cruise line story was they would reschedule all air/sea passenger regardless of whether they had insurance and requested the information from all independent travelers to help expedite rescheduling of flights. Also - documentation from the ship said you would not be assessed the airline charge for schedule changes regardless of how you booked. If you could not be rescheduled until the next day, you were to be put up in a hotel with dinner and breakfast compliments of RCCL.

Hope this helps. It really was a great cruise - and we got to sleep in on debarkation day!!!

The cruise line story was they would reschedule all air/sea passenger regardless of whether they had insurance and requested the information from all independent travelers to help expedite rescheduling of flights. Also - documentation from the ship said you would not be assessed the airline charge for schedule changes regardless of how you booked. If you could not be rescheduled until the next day, you were to be put up in a hotel with dinner and breakfast compliments of RCCL.

QUOTE]

I think this is Great that RCCL took such good care of the passengers. I don't believe that Princess was near as helpful. My TA was on the Diamond Princess the same week we were on the Oosterdam when they had the problem in Victoria. It ended up costing her $150.00 per person more to get home from Seattle when they had to change their flights. She said she was fortuate many did not even get out of Seattle that Saturday. It makes me wonder what HAL would do?:confused:

Archived