Best way to spend a day in Grenada?

GloriaF

mandoo was perhaps the best land excursion we have ever taken. partly it was the very varied experiences of the tour, largely it was the fascinating and articulate mandoo, himself.

we took the northern route which included stops at a spice processing plant, an old rum distillery, an organic chocolate "factory", beautiful vistas, an incredible lunch at a local restaurant in a secluded oceanfront area, walks along a beautiful ocean reseve, a short walk to a waterfall you can swim in,and all the while mandoo narrating and discussing the politics of grenada and the future of his country, and to an extent the world. highly opinionated and perceptive, he tried to engage the passengers in debate, and not just chide them into believing his views. he welcomed questions and comments and was also open to discussing his personal experiences.

this was, then, not just a chance to see a beautiful country, but a chance to hear and discuss its future and culture. i have always arranged for tours on our own when we travel, so we have taken many excellent tours such as this. but mandoo is a can't miss experience!

steve

Steve, We'll be taking this same Northern Tour route with Mandoo in Early March. Thanks for the information. :D We are really looking forward to Mandoo's tour.

We just returned from our 11 night Celebrity Galaxy cruise and did a private tour with Mandoo's substitute driver Chris.

It was just my sister, our 77 yr. old Mom and myself. Chris was very nice and very knowledgeable about the BEAUTIFUL island of Grenada!

Mandoo and Chris were waiting for us at the dock when we got off the ship at 7:45. Mandoo introduced us to Chris and off we went.

We were in a very clean A/C vehicle and Chris was wonderful to our 77 yr. old Mom.

Grenada is a true nature lover's island. We saw so many flowers, plants fruits, spices... Chris stopped and showed us cinnamin trees, cocoa, mango, nutmeg, orchids.... the list could go on forever.

We tasted wild pigeon peas, saw the Concord Falls, Grand Etang rain forest, black sand beaches, visited Grand Anse beach where a sailing competition was going on, saw villages, interesting locals....

We went to a local spot and had nutmeg ice cream (which I am now craving!), bought jelly and spices and took so many pictures.

Our day finished at 4 pm.

Mandoo has a great driver/tour guide in Chris. Don't hesitate to utilize Chris or Mandoo. Mandoo runs a first class trip!

We have also just returned. From the Regal Princess, Manaus, Brazil to San Juan, PR. Mangoo gave us a delightful tour of the island that he obviously loves. He is extremely knowledgeable and well-spoken and accomodating.

• 2 weeks later...

We recently had the honor of touring Grenada with Mandoo. While other people have described the wonderful tour, I felt that it is important to recognize that this man is committed to the future of his island, the youth of his island and the future health of this planet. He gives back to the community by working with the schools to encourage the children of Grenada to keep their island special.

His insight of the relationship between tourism and ecology is a rare breath of fresh air in this make a profit world.

Because of Mandoo Granada is a place that I want to see again--and I feel that as the years pass Granada will continue to be a true bit of paradise.

We booked an excursion with Mandoo on February 17, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The biggest hiccup was not his fault- PEOPLE, IF YOU BOOK A TOUR, HAVE THE DECENCY TO SHOW UP ON TIME!!!! We waited over half an hour for one late couple and then even drove back for them when they arrived ten minutes later. They didn't even have the grace to apologize to the rest of the group.

The other minor issue was that we had requested and paid for a private tour. I had emailed Mandoo before we left to confirm that, and he said yes. When we arrived, we were grouped in with other people from the ship. If he couldn't give us the private tour we requested, he should at least have mentioned it. We still would have kept the booking but wouldn't have felt silly wondering why all these other people were waiting with us.

Other than that, the tour was excellent. Mandoo was very friendly and knowledgeable and this was one of our best island experiences. We visited the Douglaston Spice Plantation, where we learned about cocoa and spices, then went to the Grand Etang Crater Lake and the Annandale Waterfall. Afterwards, he offered to drive the group to the beach on the house but we decided to get back on Galaxy because we were tired.

We would definitely book with Mandoo again and we strongly recommend him to others.

We also used Mandoo when we were in Grenada in October. We had a great tour plus there were only six of us which was fantastic. It was very comfortable in the bus with the air conditioning.

He is a very knowledgeable guide and very proud of his island.

Jenne

I agree with you regarding Mandoo. He is very knowledgeable about the environment, and he does put back a lot into his community visiting schools and trying to teach the children about our planet.

We loved his tour and we loved Grenada. We would love to return but it is a long way from here - our home.

Jennie

We just returned from our Sun Princess visit to Grenada and wish to add our praise to that of others regarding this unusual man. Not only was the 7 1/2 hour tour a thorough visit to Grenada in a comfortable A/C bus, not only did we have a wonderful lunch at one of the premier plantations on the island, but this man's dedication to changing the future of children on this island through his school lectures to them about preparing for the future are to be admired AND they will be remembered by all who tour with him. I don't know who else provides guided tours of this island, but they can't be of the caliber of Mandoo. Thank you Mandoo, for this experience!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I just emailed mandoo and informed him we will be there in december. He informed us to book as soon as possible. He said the 1/2 day trip would be best for us. My question is my parents are going , and they are limited on their walking. DO you think they can make this tour?

• 2 weeks later...

We were with Mandoo last Tuesday. He truly takes pride in what he does. His knowledge will amaze you and his professionalism is at the highest level. If you go to Grenada, you must book him. You will not regret it.

It was $45 each for us and worth every penny of it. Our ship, Crown Princess, was only in port for about 6 hours, so our time was limited. Mandoo made sure every minute was well spent. When you email him, let him know how long you have and he will reccomend which route he thinks you will enjoy most. Don't even question it or worry about it. This is one of the most professional tour guides you will ever meet. You will be so much more educated about Grenada than you would have ever thought.

It was $45 each for us and worth every penny of it. Our ship, Crown Princess, was only in port for about 6 hours, so our time was limited. Mandoo made sure every minute was well spent. When you email him, let him know how long you have and he will reccomend which route he thinks you will enjoy most. Don't even question it or worry about it. This is one of the most professional tour guides you will ever meet. You will be so much more educated about Grenada than you would have ever thought.

Thanks for reassuring me, I too am booked with Mandoo, and on the Crown sailing. I was scared that our time in port might be too short for an Independent tour. Now, I see that you've done it.

How much time did you have prior to the ship departing. Was it too rushed?

Joanne

Mandoo has this itnerary down pat. You might feel like your a little rushed because of how much ground you cover and how much information Mandoo gives you. But he utilizes every second of your time. We were back at the Crown about 30 minutes before deadline. You will have a great time.

Archived