40 Days 40 Free Cruises from NCL

shoreguy

I just registered for the last day. So sorry to see it go. Once the Monteisums showed up I found my self more interested to see the clever saying of the day than if I had won. Always asumed I would not! But this has been lots of fun. Good LUCK MONTE on the last Day!

Geez, all kind of responses to make:

Juneaume: I love the name!! I also love the poem!

....and yes, I am still bummed that I lost to a FLOYD!!! (might be a Barney Fife today...lol)

Patty: I am sorry that you can't fit the cruise in. I too am a teacher and it would have been difficult for me to fit it in as well in the first three months. I do understand however why taxes and port charges cannot be included in the free cruise. When my SIL sailed with her 6 month old in 2005, they had to pay port charges & government taxes on her even though the cruise was free for her.

.....but of course, I never expected to win with my luck, so I never gave it much thought.

I really do think NCL has something up their sleeve for Monte. If they had done the Monteism for only one day, that would have been different, but since they toyed with him for many days, I think they will come through.(and maybe for all of us!!)

I would like to see a list of where all the winners live just to see how wide ranging this contest became.

and finally......

what are we all going to do on Monday with no more contest, no more Monteisms and no more "surprises" from NCL. (and its supposed to rain here on Monday too....what a downer day......lol)

all sing now: "rainy days and no Monte days always get me down..."

Well it wouldn't be free but maybe it would help. I am now thinking about the Dec. 23rd date to take my "free" cruise. Just threw it out to my husband that we could go then. I calculate it will cost me $5,000 for this free cruise. Extra cabin for 3 kids, airfare, hotel the night before etc. His reaction "no way" but that is how all our vacations start. The problem is it is for 5 days and airfare at the holidays is going to be expensive (can't even check it it is to far out). Put a bug in his ear though. I said if we got rid of all gift giving and .... we would be at Paradise Beach for Christmas. The thing that threw me over was Cayman Islands is on the itinerary. We spent two weeks there and loved it. So... Maybe I can convince him to spend $5,000 on a vacation we weren't going to take.

Any ideas???

Patti

Well it wouldn't be free but maybe it would help. I am now thinking about the Dec. 23rd date to take my "free" cruise. Just threw it out to my husband that we could go then. I calculate it will cost me $5,000 for this free cruise. Extra cabin for 3 kids, airfare, hotel the night before etc. His reaction "no way" but that is how all our vacations start. The problem is it is for 5 days and airfare at the holidays is going to be expensive (can't even check it it is to far out). Put a bug in his ear though. I said if we got rid of all gift giving and .... we would be at Paradise Beach for Christmas. The thing that threw me over was Cayman Islands is on the itinerary. We spent two weeks there and loved it. So... Maybe I can convince him to spend $5,000 on a vacation we weren't going to take.

Any ideas???

Patti

If you are talking about 2006 it may be hard to even get the air. I'd start with that and then decide. Sounds like a lot for only 5 days. Good luck and let us know what happens!

Any ideas???

Patti

If you are going to spend $5000 for a free cruise then kick it up and make it a real cruise and add the 9 day:) :) :D Better return on the investment in air and hotel.

Any ideas???

Patti

I think you said you are teacher, why not find a week that you have 2 days off and maybe work with that week. I am not sure when the Pearl comes back to its 5 day itinerary, But I know we have a few days off in October in NY.

I think our friend with the Monteism's only works Mon-Fri, hopefully we get a last comic statement for the last day with the last winner. Good Luck to all on the last try - It would be nice to see one of us win it on the last day.

I calculate it will cost me $5,000 for this free cruise. Extra cabin for 3 kids, airfare, hotel the night before etc. Patti

That's some serious change (IMO) for a 5 night free cruise!

I get the feeling that you can drive to the port in NY. It's not NCL & it's not the Caribbean, but I did see that another line has some 5 night cruises from NY next Aug, that would be a whole lot cheaper (if they work around your schedule). Or of course, there are always the NCL sailings from the city, such as you're doing on the Spirit.

-Monte

Everyone is right. It is too much money. I would love to add the 9 day on but I can't or my husband can't take that kind of time off. Also I have two boys in high school who play too many sports. They can't really go for too long either. I was hoping one of the five days was around our teacher convention or Thanksgiving but thats not working either. Christmas 2007 would work time wise but probably not financially wise. Can get a much longer and no airfare cruise right here from NYC for less money. I just hate throwing away a free cruise. Hey NCL if you are listening I know you said no transfers but how about to MONTE!!! I will give him mine. He deserves something. Think about it please.

Patti

Patti, what a bummer! There has got to be a way for you to go. Although I admire teachers not taking time off during school days, this is different. Have you asked your principal...does he/she know that you won and can not go...do you have personal days...will s/he approve a different type of leave? What about looking at the week in-between sports seasons (winter-spring)? Flights are a lot cheaper than during holiday breaks. Instead of taking the whole family, what about taking one? Overall, I guess the main thing to consider is what you will regret more...going alone or with one family member and leaving others behind...or not going at all.

Lastly, you are truly a heart-felt person by thinking of everyone else including Monte by wanting to transfer it. If you were at my school I would tell you it is okay to take some Patti time!

Coka

The cruise prize will be awarded via certificate which will be sent to the winners on approximately January 16, 2007. Prize must be fully redeemed – reservation, booking and travel must be completed - by 3/31/07 otherwise winner will forfeit prize.

I'm assuming from the above quote from the Terms of the contest that you would have to book and travel prior to March 31 2007. Which really doesn't give much of a window - But that is what they seem to be saying.

So, unless they've said you can change to the Dec 07 I don't think it was going to be feasible anyway. Don't want to rain on your parade Patti, but don't want to see you put a huge effort into something and have them say "No you can't do that" either. I'm certainly no expert, just going by what NCL has put in print. Hopefully, it will work out for you. It would be a shame if your shedules couldn't be adjusted, but sometimes things are just not meant to be.

We could always try to get Monte into drag and pose as you ??:D

Marj

Patti, what a bummer! There has got to be a way for you to go. Although I admire teachers not taking time off during school days, this is different. Have you asked your principal...does he/she know that you won and can not go...do you have personal days...will s/he approve a different type of leave?

Coka

I thought about what I would do IF I had won one of these cruises. (ok, call me crazy). I too am a teacher. I was looking at taking it during a week when we are off one day, using my two personal days and then I would have to take two days off without pay (Superintendents discretion, but they usually approve). Now that would make the "free" cruise even more costly since you are giving up 2 days of pay. Since our entire years salary is based on 188 days in my district (180 days and 8 paid holidays), it becomes a pretty hefty chunk of change.

I'm sure Patty is in the same boat.

Also, has anyone else tried to get on the site lately? I just tried to see if a "Monteism" popped up, (or even the message about Freestyle07) and it says the site is down.

Could this LIMIT the number of entries today!!! (I'm already in for today.)

Working fine

http://www.happybirthdayncl.com/

or

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/home.html

We could always try to get Monte into drag and pose as you ??:D

Marj

Sure, but what happens if her hubby thinks I look cute in drag??? :eek:

Monte doesn't swing that way!

No Monteism today-I'm pretty sure he has weekends off and what we saw yesterday was the sign off.

-Monte

On the cruise certificate they sent they added the dates 10/14/07 10/28/07 11/11/07 11/25/07 12/9/07 12/23/07 in addition to the dates up to 3/31/07 and 4/8/07 (which would work well for our Easter break but that is when I am going on the Spirit.) So it is generous that they added those dates. the other thing I couldn't really get clarified is that they ask you to send back your first 3 choices. I said I would only want the 12/23/07 date and could I not pick choice 2 and 3. She said I had to. I would not want to go on any other dates. So it really is an uphill battle. So we forfeit.

Patti

Have any of you figured out how the dates we have been given for the fall of 2007 can be used? The Pearl is scheduled to leave on a 5 and a 14 at the same time. Here is an example.

5 - Day Western Caribbean Round-trip Miami

Ship: Norwegian Pearl

Embarkation Port: Miami

Ports of call: Miami; Cozumel; Grand Cayman

2007: Oct 14, Oct 28, Nov 11, Nov 25, Dec 9, Dec 23

14 - Day Eastern Caribbean Round-trip Miami

Ports of call: Miami; Cozumel; Grand Cayman; Samana; Tortola; Antigua; Barbados; St. Lucia

2007: Oct 28

So it really is an uphill battle. So we forfeit.

Patti

Hi Patti. Sorry this is an uphill battle for you. How disappointing. :( I think what's worse is that this contest has been a huge marketing project for NCL and it's so popular on this board that someone took note of Monte (ie: the Monteisms) and now people like you are reporting the problems. Most of the winners don't have CC to come to and they're just telling their family members about the fees, etc. Talking about it on the board gets the word out to so many more people that a free cruise isn't really a free cruise and NCL or any other cruise line doesn't do anything without hoping to get something back (future business, onboard sales, etc). I wonder how they measure the effectiveness of this marketing project when the winners can't even take the cruise? Again, sorry this hasn't worked out for you.

Have any of you figured out how the dates we have been given for the fall of 2007 can be used? The Pearl is scheduled to leave on a 5 and a 14 at the same time. Here is an example.

5 - Day Western Caribbean Round-trip Miami

Ports of call: Miami; Cozumel; Grand Cayman

2007: Oct 14, Oct 28, Nov 11, Nov 25, Dec 9, Dec 23

14 - Day Eastern Caribbean Round-trip Miami

Ports of call: Miami; Cozumel; Grand Cayman; Samana; Tortola; Antigua; Barbados; St. Lucia

2007: Oct 28

The 14 day is actually a 5 day and 9 day back-to-back. Notice there is 14 days between all of the 5 day cruise dates.

I asked the same thing. If you look at the itinerary it goes back to Miami after 5 days. You get off. the 14 day people stay on. I don't see where they are selling a 9 day for this cruise. I asked what happens to my room when I get off???? I guess there are 9 days available once they know how many people are getting off for the 5 day??? I don't know.

Patti

The 14 day is actually a 5 day and 9 day back-to-back. Notice there is 14 days between all of the 5 day cruise dates.

NCL is doing this with a few other cruises also. I am looking to do a back to back on the Spirit with their six day and eight day tour. NCL is packaging them as seperate and together.

On the cruise certificate they sent they added the dates 10/14/07 10/28/07 11/11/07 11/25/07 12/9/07 12/23/07 in addition to the dates up to 3/31/07 and 4/8/07 (which would work well for our Easter break but that is when I am going on the Spirit.) So it is generous that they added those dates. the other thing I couldn't really get clarified is that they ask you to send back your first 3 choices. I said I would only want the 12/23/07 date and could I not pick choice 2 and 3. She said I had to. I would not want to go on any other dates. So it really is an uphill battle. So we forfeit.

Patti

At this point...you have NOTHING to lose.

I would send back the 12/23 date and second and third choice just put "not possible" and get your reply in early.

Can't believe that you have all of this stress after winning.

Good luck:)

Archived