the dreaded liquor BILL

darienill

On my last cruise we went with 2 other couples and 1 couple had a $4500. shipboard bill and the other has $3500. Ours was only $800 and we did a few excursions. The other couples each only did 1, most of their bill was the bar. needless to say they like to drink

Vicki

I'm wondering the same thing. He must mean the shipboard account.

If it bothers you, why drink so much? I don't understand why people feel the need to get schloshed on a cruise. Sorry, but I'd rather remember my cruise! ;) :rolleyes:

Why bother responding with an answer like this. Who said they felt the need to get scloshed on the cruise?

Um, ours hangs around $2K for two of us on a seven day cruise, and we don't get sloshed! I remember every minute of my cruise.

I just choose not to count coins while on a cruise. I don't order a single beer for 7 days (and I drink beer often), we have champagne every evening during sunset, the specialty drinks are yummy, we enjoy our martinis, we drink a bottle of wine with dinner every night, we enjoy a cigar after dinner, I buy some things in the shops and we do excursions. It can climb up pretty quickly without getting sloshed!

I thought the question was an innocent remark to get people talking about the sticker shock of the onboard account at the end of the trip. I am also shocked when I get mine but I don't let it ruin the vacation. It's just a reaction to the amount.

I agree with darienill, if they left our account statement is someone else's box, someone would be shocked!

and as a matter of fact seem to spend more rather than less on each cruise. Have been on cruises where people say they owe nothing. Don't know how--they don't even buy a bingo card or a specialty coffee?

Any account will have a min. 140 dollars on it per cabin for tips for a seven day cruise and will go up ( maybe way way up) from there. To each his own--and one doesn't need to be sloshed to run up a liquor bill---after all a specialty peach martini and a glss of good wine won't cause you to line up for the AA meeting but it surely adds to the bill and the enjoyment of my life.

I find that the availability of alcohol neither detracts from nor enhances my cruise experience. I might have 2-3 drinks while onboard but that's about it. However, it's no different at home. Our combined bar bill, if it was a lot might amount to $50, but on average is probably less than half that. I always manage to find lots of things that enhance my cruise experience besides alcohol, so my final bill, although not large, reflects this. I usually find large expenses located on the bill under "ice cream".

To those of you feeling you have to justify your bills -- don't.

To those of you feeling you have to judge those that enjoy their cruise (that they paid for) the way they choose to -- don't.

To the OP -- maybe they were shocked -- did you get their bill?

Happy Cruising everyone and quit badgering everyone else for what they choose to do!

(Bring it on - flame away at me!)

To those of you feeling you have to justify your bills -- don't.

To those of you feeling you have to judge those that enjoy their cruise (that they paid for) the way they choose to -- don't.

To the OP -- maybe they were shocked -- did you get their bill?

Happy Cruising everyone and quit badgering everyone else for what they choose to do!

(Bring it on - flame away at me!)

Good Post. Some people don't seem to be able to get through a day without judging what someone else does!

Regardless of the charges, people know about what everything costs. They expect the bill at the end. But large or small, the grand total can be a surprise. Most of our expenses are excursions, with a couple of purchases, and with drinks, etc. etc. When I look over the bill everything is right and reasonable, it is just that first look at the total - WOW

On my last cruise we went with 2 other couples and 1 couple had a $4500. shipboard bill and the other has $3500. Ours was only $800 and we did a few excursions. The other couples each only did 1, most of their bill was the bar. needless to say they like to drink Vicki

Ours runs about the same ($100 a day for both of us which is what I budget). That includes excursions and shipboard purchases (shirts and caps kind of stuff).

I think we should thank all your friends and other folks that run up those $4500 onboard bills. They are enhancing the cruise line's profit margin so they do not have to raise the cruise fares to the rest of us. :D

I think we should thank all your friends and other folks that run up those $4500 onboard bills. They are enhancing the cruise line's profit margin so they do not have to raise the cruise fares to the rest of us. :D

You are SOOO right!! :D Thanks!

Live and let live - whether your weakness is gambling, ice cream, alcohol, shopping or whatever - enjoy and have fun. Isn't that what vacations are all about? We always plan on about $100 per day for the two of us and add on to that any excursions we may take. So far, we have always been within $100 or $200 of what we have estimated - which is just fine with me AND we have enjoyed ourselves completely!!!

We don't drink to get a ridiculous bill, just through buying a couple of things at the art auction to hang on the wall. Throw in framing and shipping, and THAT's a BIG bill. The gift that keeps on giving, unlike booze.

Les

One way to reduce the shock is to check your onboard account at least a couple of times during your cruise. Even without checking, you have the receipts for everything you've bought or charged so that it shouldn't be a shock.

What each of us spends is personal since we all spend our money on different things.

that we could pay for our shore excursions before the cruise and not after...then our bill wouldn't be high at all...Royal Caribbean does it...just wish Princess would allow you to make the choice at least.
I dislike the way RCI does it. I don't want to pay for my excursions months in advance. That's my money and I'd rather be getting the interest on it than the cruiseline. If you want to pre-pay your excursions, just send yourself gifts towards your booking. That way, you have the best of both worlds.

A bottle of red, a bottle of white

It all depends on your appetite.

The bill depends on a number of factors -

Having a bottle served at dinner instead of a glass.

The length of cruise. The longer you're on - the higher the bill.

It's all a matter of perspective. I've never been offended by the drink prices while cruising. They are cheaper than what I pay here at home......Some posters cite drink prices as another way we are being gouged...it's just not a legitimate gripe. One always has the option of not drinking if they find the prices to be that offensive.

Eat, Drink and be Merry you're on Vacation.

Archived